• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D300 Dac

lewdish

Has anyone had any experience with the Dac chip in this new SMSL dac, personally have not heard it.

Rohm BD34301EKV

Rohm is a newer company at least in the field of audio, they only started making DACs and amp chips as of recent. From what it seems though they're fairly competent at IC design and a decent alternative to AKM since the AKM Fire. I'd love to see their chips used in AVRs tbh.

Nelska

Very intrigued by this new SMSL production with Rohm chip. I was about to take a Gustard X16 which is 100 € more expensive ... Now I'm waiting for more testimonials on the D300 before deciding ...
Not easy to choose because all these small boxes between 350 and 500 € all sound very good !

flz

Not easy to choose because all these small boxes between 350 and 500 € all sound very good !
I have a similar dilemma. Some would argue they all sound not just very good but the same! What makes you prefer D300 over SMSL Su-9n? The Rohm chip?

Nelska

J'ai un dilemme similaire. Certains diront qu'ils sonnent tous non seulement très bien, mais pareils ! Qu'est-ce qui vous fait préférer le D300 au SMSL Su-9n ? La puce Rohm ?
I currently have an SMSL M8 that I find sometimes too bright in the highs depending on the recordings, it is however a good little budget DAC.
I don't exclude the SMSL SU 8 S and SU 9 N which seems to be very efficient too. But I listen mainly classical, operas and vocal jazz so I'm looking for a little more "organic", softer and natural sound while staying in a reasonable budget. It's why i'm looking Gustard X16 and SMSL D300 ...

flz

I currently have an SMSL M8 that I find sometimes too bright in the highs depending on the recordings, it is however a good little budget DAC.
I don't exclude the SMSL SU 8 S and SU 9 N which seems to be very efficient too. But I listen mainly classical, operas and vocal jazz so I'm looking for a little more "organic", softer and natural sound while staying in a reasonable budget. It's why i'm looking Gustard X16 and SMSL D300 ...
I've read/listened to most of the online reviews of SMSL D300, SMSL Su-9n, Gustard X16, Gustard X18 (I was interested in all of those models). Given what you're looking for based on your comment, it seems D300 may be the best choice out of those. Just my guess. Of course, there are also ASR forum members that would say all those DACs sound exactly the same. Hope you find your ideal choice!

Radhadesh

My initial impressions. This wonderful hobby is first and foremost about music and its reproduction. Making music your new hobby can heal your body and your soul, making you a happier, well-rounded person. Years ago I had a LUXMAN power amplifier M-06a and this sound still haunts me and tried all things to get that same sound. Recently I bought a Denafpris Pontus II, Chord Qutest and sold it in just a week as I was really tired and fed up with the physical pain and financial loss incurred. I again gained courage and got SMSL D300 Dac. It turned out to be a very good decision. Much more dynamic with a better high-end response. The sound stage is fuller with more definition and detail.

Folks believe me it has the same Luxman sound signature as is their top-of-the-line range D10 CD player and costing $16000. The SMSL uses the Rohm chip BD34301EKV for $399 seems like a bargain. It has a cult following as they were very few that were manufactured. What mesmerizing vocals, seductive tone, a little bass shy, but all that disappears as the music continued to play all night I couldn’t turn it off.

bill poster

Really curious about the D300. Not many reviews and wd like to see a head to head with bifrost and denafrips

MikeleRocket

Got mine yesterday and it's a well fit for my AO200. Will see how it performs for the next weeks but for now it sounds as advertised. Hopefully it's the ''vinyl'' one I was waiting for.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
It's a great match with both my Smsl sp400 and singxer SA1

MikeleRocket

It's a great match with both my Smsl sp400 and singxer SA1
Cool!. If it's good to go with a sp400 it should be as good as it's lil bro. Question: how much time for the d300 to set in? Mine already sounds better than yesterday!

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Cool!. If it's good to go with a sp400 it should be as good as it's lil bro. Question: how much time for the d300 to set in? Mine already sounds better than yesterday!

That's just u getting used to the sound... It's not a tube amp or new shoes after all. Nothing there that needs time to break in.

HappyMetalGuy

I really like to read all opinions on SMSL D300 as I'm interested in buying one of these three 1. SMSL D300 2.SMSL M500 MKII and 3.Topping DX5 to pair with my NAD C 316BEE v2 and Q Acoutics 3030i. Should I just go for the cheaper of them? or the even cheaper Topping e50?
Thank you

skraz

I really like to read all opinions on SMSL D300 as I'm interested in buying one of these three 1. SMSL D300 2.SMSL M500 MKII and 3.Topping DX5 to pair with my NAD C 316BEE v2 and Q Acoutics 3030i. Should I just go for the cheaper of them? or the even cheaper Topping e50?
Thank you
i have the smsl m500 mkII and for me personally, its been a worthwhile purchase, im using it as the DAC + headphone amp driving dt1990s

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Thanks for the quick reply. I very much like this DAC, in fact I just ordered another D300.
What I'd really like to see from SMSL in the future is a BD34301EKV dual mono version with two DAC chips, and two power supplies - one power supply for the analog section, and one power supply for the digital section - all of that in a better case:)
That sounds like it would be a VMV Product with a much higher price tag

NikJi

My initial impressions. This wonderful hobby is first and foremost about music and its reproduction. Making music your new hobby can heal your body and your soul, making you a happier, well-rounded person. Years ago I had a LUXMAN power amplifier M-06a and this sound still haunts me and tried all things to get that same sound. Recently I bought a Denafpris Pontus II, Chord Qutest and sold it in just a week as I was really tired and fed up with the physical pain and financial loss incurred. I again gained courage and got SMSL D300 Dac. It turned out to be a very good decision. Much more dynamic with a better high-end response. The sound stage is fuller with more definition and detail.

Folks believe me it has the same Luxman sound signature as is their top-of-the-line range D10 CD player and costing $16000. The SMSL uses the Rohm chip BD34301EKV for $399 seems like a bargain. It has a cult following as they were very few that were manufactured. What mesmerizing vocals, seductive tone, a little bass shy, but all that disappears as the music continued to play all night I couldn’t turn it off.
I saw an Indian movie “Brahmastra” in a Cinemark Dolby Digital Cinema. At home, I found the same songs on iTunes music at 24bit/96Khz. So I streamed those from my iPad to the D300 which is connected to my Onkyo A9150 stereo amplifier, connected to a pair of Floor standing Elac Debut 6.2 speakers and a REL 12” sub. The soundstage was better, way better than the Cinemark Dolby Digital Cinema. Amazing vocals, smooth reverb bass, and clean smooth highs.

Oh yes. The ROHM chip is the same used in the Luxman SACD player

Last edited:

aido78

I've had the SMSL d300 for about 2 week now and I am happy with it. I haven't noticed any "burn in" FYI.

I upgraded to this unit as I need balanced outputs. I only use it with powered speakers with room mode EQ correction via REW.

I got this DAC for the ROHM chipset as I wanted a different flavor of sound than my ESS Sabre equipped Topping DX3+.

I would agree with most of the feedback online that this DAC is softer and more laid back than my Topping DX3+. Some people may call this "musical" or "warm" but others may think it is slightly less resolving than other DACs. YMMV.

Where I do think the SMSL d300 excels is the width of the soundstage; I am quite impressed with this aspect. My Topping DX3+ created a good soundstage between 10 and 2 O'clock, but with D300 is wider. Soundstage depth is roughly the same.

Cheers

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Honestly I want one to do a side by side comparison and try to listen for any differences.

aido78

Hard for me to do a genuine A/B comparison as the Topping Dx3 pro+ has RCA out which I convert to balanced by using a AVE VOX hum eliminator; so different cables altogether.

But I would agree with the premise that a DAC couldn’t/shouldn’t change the frequency response in any audible manner…the differences I’ve observed could be my subjective self at work

Top Bottom