• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D300 Dac

Bel Canto

Has anyone had any experience with the Dac chip in this new SMSL dac, personally have not heard it.

Rohm BD34301EKV

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Has anyone had any experience with the Dac chip in this new SMSL dac, personally have not heard it.

Rohm BD34301EKV

A friend of mine owned a Luxman D10 for about 8 months before selling and getting the top of the line Marantz SACD player. I heard the Luxman player on many occasions but never as a stand alone DAC. Easily the finest CD or SACD player I have used - the quality of the transport is amazing. The Marantz that replaced it is also extremely high quality. I don’t think you could tell the difference in any blind testing. Your wallet would know $6000 - Marantz versus $16000 - Luxman. The SMSL using the Rohm chip for $399 seems like a bargain if you want that chip. Being a brand new product and no returns allowed might be a gamble…. Probably best to wait for awhile and see.

Tatteredmidnight

They advertise up to -116db THD+N on the product features, so at the same price, why choose this over their own SU-9n that hits SINAD of -121 for the same price? I wonder what the Rohm filters look like, maybe they are more “correct.” As usual, the SMSL lineup looks like it is designed by a bunch of separate teams who literally don’t speak to each other.

w1000i

Forum Donor
They advertise up to -116db THD+N on the product features, so at the same price, why choose this over their own SU-9n that hits SINAD of -121 for the same price? I wonder what the Rohm filters look like, maybe they are more “correct.” As usual, the SMSL lineup looks like it is designed by a bunch of separate teams who literally don’t speak to each other.
the 116 is the dac chip limit, but the dac seems better build.

w1000i

Forum Donor
I bought one and will see how its perform against SDA-6 Pro

alpha_logic

Just got mine in the mail. Build quality is a bit sub-par for SMSL standards, the SMSL SU-9n is built much better, at least in terms of the enclosure.

SMSL_Liu

Audio Company
A friend of mine owned a Luxman D10 for about 8 months before selling and getting the top of the line Marantz SACD player. I heard the Luxman player on many occasions but never as a stand alone DAC. Easily the finest CD or SACD player I have used - the quality of the transport is amazing. The Marantz that replaced it is also extremely high quality. I don’t think you could tell the difference in any blind testing. Your wallet would know $6000 - Marantz versus $16000 - Luxman. The SMSL using the Rohm chip for $399 seems like a bargain if you want that chip. Being a brand new product and no returns allowed might be a gamble…. Probably best to wait for awhile and see.
The sound of BD34301 is very good. We sincerely admire the Japanese people's understanding of sound. Its definition lies between AKM and ESS. This is very musical. A bit like Marantz CD63, but with higher clarity! The sound is solid and sweet, not greasy to listen to it for a long time! I have listened to D300 for a long time, it is not worse than ES9038PRO, it has a different sound performance, which gives people who like music one more choice.

My other full-time listening colleague and I like this sound. At present, the price of BD34301 is very high, and it does not have built-in de-jitter like ESS. It must use external processing for de-jitter, otherwise the jitter will be very poor. So D300 has a dedicated clock processing module.

As for THD+N, although it is not as good as ES9038PRO, but this performance is far more than enough, we should focus on the music itself, not just measurement. However, measurement can ensure that it is correctly engineered, but it cannot fully reflect its sound performance.

Of course, sound performance has a lot to do with personal listening habits and other equipment. What I say is only personal words, and you should be subject to what you hear.

SMSL_Liu

Audio Company
Would you happen to know what the HPC function does, exactly? Thanks in advance.
It is a "high precision mode", it will not change a lot, but we still make a choice for users, maybe its a mode for the internal DSP working mode. Maybe it is useful when clock is not good, but D300's clock is good, so I can not see difference the Switch it ON or OFF.

alpha_logic

It is a "high precision mode", it will not change a lot, but we still make a choice for users, maybe its a mode for the internal DSP working mode. Maybe it is useful when clock is not good, but D300's clock is good, so I can not see difference the Switch it ON or OFF.
Thanks for the quick reply. I very much like this DAC, in fact I just ordered another D300.
What I'd really like to see from SMSL in the future is a BD34301EKV dual mono version with two DAC chips, and two power supplies - one power supply for the analog section, and one power supply for the digital section - all of that in a better case:)

Last edited:

SMSL_Liu

Audio Company
I very much like this DAC, in fact I just ordered another D300.
What I'd really like to see from SMSL in the future is a BD34301EKV dual mono version with two DAC chips, and two power supplies - one for the analog, and one for the digital section - all of that in a better case:) Thanks for the quick reply.
We will consider such a design, thank you very much for your suggestion, in addition, D300 users can upgrade the system firmware if available, but there is no new firmware for now.

alpha_logic

We will consider such a design, thank you very much for your suggestion, in addition, D300 users can upgrade the system firmware if available, but there is no new firmware for now.
I think your BD34301EKV implementation has some real potential - speaking for myself, I'd pay premium for an 'upscale' premium version with a dual mono design!

granosalis

Are you planning a version with BD34301EKV and full MQA decoding (MQA-CD from coax), thanks.

alpha_logic

Picture of the internals:

smsl_D300.jpg

hi30u

Thanks for the picture!
Q1: Could you zoom on the output stage?
Can someone comment the choice of output ICs in the D300?

Q2: I was an electronic engineer, but it was in the last century!!! Anyway, I have this belief that a 12V power supply is better (than a 5V) to get a solid range for a good balanced output.
Am I that outdated?

SMSL_Liu

Audio Company
谢谢你的图片!
Q1:你能在输出舞台上放大吗?
有人可以评论D300中输出IC的选择吗?

Q2:我是一名电子工程师,但那是在上个世纪!!!无论如何,我有这样一种信念,即12V电源(比5V)更好,可以获得稳定的范围,以获得良好的平衡输出。
我有那么过时了吗?
The choice of output operational amplifier is selected from many kinds of operational amplifiers. The selection includes performance and listening. It is selected from 20 kinds of amplifiers. Your statement is correct, +-12V can provide good amplitude and high performance . And we have tested a higher voltage, and will not get higher performance than 12V.

hi30u

The choice of output operational amplifier is selected from many kinds of operational amplifiers. The selection includes performance and listening. It is selected from 20 kinds of amplifiers. Your statement is correct, +-12V can provide good amplitude and high performance . And we have tested a higher voltage, and will not get higher performance than 12V.
Thank you for the confirmation about the -12V +12V!
So, could you indicate which operational amplifier is featured here?

Top Bottom