• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D1SE Balanced ES9038PRO

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like a nice unit but those spikes are too nasty for me. :D
smsl-d1se-balanced-es9038pro-dac-cpld-altera-xmos-32bit-768khz-dsd512-black.jpg

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd hang fire on buying any SMSL 9038PRO DAC for the time being......

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/strange-smsl-m500-high-3rd-harmonic.22710/

TL:DR- in the M500 and the SU9 it looks like the harmonic distortion goes crazy in one channel when the signal is different in L and R . So perfect for mono:facepalm:

Audible issue? Maybe not- but not worth spending $000 on a perfect DAC that isnt actually perfect in real world conditions

Katji

Major Contributor
agh, MQA - that disqualifies it for me.

Why just the related VMV logo?

What's with the "fever" thing, why is that translation not sorted out? I mean it's years now, that I've been seeing it. I think I read an explanation but I can't remember. fever grade...of course Google is no help. ...High fidelity grade? Low noise grade? ...If I find the Chinese text, then I could see what translate.google does. ...

1621516666339.png

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
agh, MQA - that disqualifies it for me.

What's with the "fever" thing, why is that translation not sorted out? I mean it's years now, that I've been seeing it. I think I read an explanation but I can't remember. fever grade...of course Google is no help. ...High fidelity grade? Low noise grade? ...If I find the Chinese text, then I could see what translate.google does. ...

View attachment 130886
I can only imagine its a corruption of medical/ instrument grade?

Katji

Major Contributor
Last edited:

mononoaware

I have seen SMSL use the word "Porcupine" to describe the toroidal transformer.

I would much rather a Porcupine toroidal transformer than a "High-fidelity" or "Medical"/"Hospital grade" one.

mononoaware

Regarding the logo, I think it looks odd. The font used reminds me of "Super hero" comic book text.

It would look much smarter if they just used the "A1"/"D1se" text below it, but in bold for VMV.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I have seen SMSL use the word "Porcupine" to describe the toroidal transformer.

I would much rather a Porcupine toroidal transformer than a "High-fidelity" or "Medical"/"Hospital grade" one.
Porcupine is the direct Chinese translate for the Toroid International brand transformer. The logo resembles a porcupine and basically is the "audiophile" grade transformer in Chinese audiophile community.

Massimo

I'd hang fire on buying any SMSL 9038PRO DAC for the time being......

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/strange-smsl-m500-high-3rd-harmonic.22710/

TL:DR- in the M500 and the SU9 it looks like the harmonic distortion goes crazy in one channel when the signal is different in L and R . So perfect for mono:facepalm:

Audible issue? Maybe not- but not worth spending $000 on a perfect DAC that isnt actually perfect in real world conditions

I would be very hesitant to purchase an expensive product from @SHENZHENAUDIO until they demonstrate that they will provide an acceptable level of support to customers that own SMSL products with issues:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nge-smsl-m500-high-3rd-harmonic.22710/page-33

dmac6419

Major Contributor

Massimo

Expensive, this ain't Expensive, why we talking about Expensive, affordable should be the the word you're looking for lol

OK, perhaps I should have said "any" product ... irrespective of price.

mononoaware

Porcupine is the direct Chinese translate for the Toroid International brand transformer. The logo resembles a porcupine and basically is the "audiophile" grade transformer in Chinese audiophile community.

Thank you for explaining.

I have recently found it (Shenzhen audio SMSL VMV A1 page image) and it does say "Imported Porcupine Power Transformer".
So I guess translates to: Imported Toroidal Power Transformer.

Veri

Master Contributor
But is it fever porcupine? :D

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thank you for explaining.

I have recently found it (Shenzhen audio SMSL VMV A1 page image) and it does say "Imported Porcupine Power Transformer".
So I guess translates to: Imported Toroidal Power Transformer.
It's specifically Toroid brand.
71dNZg-yADL._SL1280_.jpg

Katji

Major Contributor
? :) But what are you saying? If I translate "toroid" the result will be "porcupine"? :) ... :) Or they translate the logo, the picture, to a word? :D

The fever thing...they should just send the text to a translation service, a human translation. For sure there are individual/freelance people doing it.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
? :) But what are you saying? If I translate "toroid" the result will be "porcupine"? :) ... :) Or they translate the logo, the picture, to a word? :D

The fever thing...they should just send the text to a translation service, a human translation. For sure there are individual/freelance people doing it.
Maybe my wording is a bit off. Basically Chinese audiophile community call it "porcupine transformer" in Chinese because the logo is a porcupine.

mononoaware

It's specifically Toroid brand. View attachment 133859

I understand now. So the red is “porcupine” brand logo.

So SMSL carried over the local marketing (customers are familiar with good Porcupine brand) and directly translated it to English marketing.

Top Bottom