• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D1SE Balanced ES9038PRO

mrjayviper

Is LDAC supported for BT connections? I see that this device uses the same XMOS chip as other SMSL devices with LDAC but LDAC support is not mentioned on the D1SE product page.

Thanks

DrEz

Is LDAC supported for BT connections? I see that this device uses the same XMOS chip as other SMSL devices with LDAC but LDAC support is not mentioned on the D1SE product page.

Thanks
No LDAC.

XMOS handles USB input, not BT.

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Has anyone had issues with the remote control with a D1se? I bought one recently and had the remote working for maybe a day or two but now I can't get it to do anything despite trying a couple of different replacement batteries (that work in my miniDSP remote).

Bud Spencer

Has anyone had issues with the remote control with a D1se? I bought one recently and had the remote working for maybe a day or two but now I can't get it to do anything despite trying a couple of different replacement batteries (that work in my miniDSP remote).
Yes. I had problem with grounding.
You propably know already that you can check if the IR led is working by looking it through your phone camera. Mine was barely lighting up.

I got a new one on warranty from hifiexpress and dared to open my faulty one.

I heated top plastic and frame with heat gun to loosen up glue and pried black plastic part off carefully.

Remote frame acts ass a minus conductor and wasn't getting proper contact to board. I can't remember on witch point of the board, but you'll find out if you open it.

I have an extra one but postage from finland might not be worth it.
It would be nice to be able to use this with my SMSL amp somehow,

Attachments

• 20220312_201135.jpg
    20220312_201135.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 73

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for your detailed reply @Bud Spencer :).

I'd wondered if the issue may be due to the unusual choice to make the body of the remote the positive contact to the battery. I have a plastic SMSL remote that came with an SU-8 DAC which works fine with the D1SE, so I'd been able to prove it was definitely the remote that was dodgy rather than the DAC end. I actually wasn't aware of the camera trick so thanks for mentioning that. Testing now and there no sign of life at all from the D1SE's remote, whereas I do see signals from others just fine on my camera.

I bought my D1SE from soundimports.eu so I've e-mailed them about the fault but haven't had a response yet.

The weight of the metal D1SE gives it a pleasing feeling of quality. Shame that functionally it's clearly not the most reliable design! The control dial on the front of the DAC feels somewhat flimsy by comparison but does actually work.

Most importantly I've very pleased with how the DAC sounds :).

Last edited:

SiamXIII

There is a New version of this DAC... D1SE 2
Ordered original one couple of days ago. No regrets, as new SMSL UI is abysmal. Also going to pair it with VMV A1, so original one is better match aestethicaly.

Judging by specs, new one is nearly identical to SU-9 Pro, DO300, D400ES.

Guilherme_BR

There are a festa differences:

Using 11pcs High-end dual op-amp and most of Hifi standard components like nichicon KG capatitor; (I believe this one makes a huge difference, since the analog section is very important)

UK made noratel toroidal power transformer for linear power supply;

SiamXIII

There are a festa differences:

Using 11pcs High-end dual op-amp and most of Hifi standard components like nichicon KG capatitor; (I believe this one makes a huge difference, since the analog section is very important)

UK made noratel toroidal power transformer for linear power supply;
Every DAC I mentioned uses same 11 OPA1612. Difference is in power section. Output section stay same.Bunch of similar DACs released in 3 month.

Where is high-end DAC on excelent ROHM chip? New headphone AMP? New speaker amp?

Guilherme_BR

The description of su9 pro is not The same:

"Used the latest high-end ES9039MSPRO D/A chip of ESS company for 8 channels, combined with up to 11 pcs OPA1612A op-amp."

I believe the analog section of d1se 2 is different from su9 pro and do300.

Guilherme_BR

It would be great to see a DAC with D1se2 high end analog section and ROHM Chip. Maybe choosing brighter sounding analog components to match.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It would be great to see a DAC with D1se2 high end analog section and ROHM Chip. Maybe choosing brighter sounding analog components to match.

You are wanting it to not be neutral?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Lsc

There is a New version of this DAC... D1SE 2
The sale that’s going on is tempting me to pull the trigger on this DAC.

I haven’t seen anywhere that says it’s better than the SU-9 pro with the nora-tel linear transformer. That seems to be the only difference other than the I2S input that really doesn’t matter to me unless I buy a D2D converter.

$633 for the D1Se2 or $439 for the SU-9 pro. Narrowed down to these two among the sea of DACs.

kiyu

I haven’t seen anywhere that says it’s better than the SU-9 pro with the nora-tel linear transformer. That seems to be the only difference other than the I2S input that really doesn’t matter to me unless I buy a D2D converter.

$633 for the D1Se2 or $439 for the SU-9 pro. Narrowed down to these two among the sea of DACs.

I did a quick (really quick) so please check it by yourself ...

both use ES9039MS Pro
both use XMOS XU316
both use CK-03 Low-Jitter Clock Circuit.
both use 11 amps (su9 opa 1612 , d1se2 I can't see but could be the same)
so far the only main difference is that d1se2 use toroidal transformer and the su9 pro doesn't

so if that is truly the difference, no way I would pay 200 more for that.. but check in detail

Lsc

I did a quick (really quick) so please check it by yourself ...

both use ES9039MS Pro
both use XMOS XU316
both use CK-03 Low-Jitter Clock Circuit.
both use 11 amps (su9 opa 1612 , d1se2 I can't see but could be the same)
so far the only main difference is that d1se2 use toroidal transformer and the su9 pro doesn't

so if that is truly the difference, no way I would pay 200 more for that.. but check in detail
That’s what I see as well plus the I2S input.

I think the spiked feet and the better remote is also adding a little extra flair that is making it more enticing. It’s must be one heck of a transformer.

Unfortunately I’m a sucker lol and will probably go with it.

Luishi5000

I'm considering getting the D1SE to output via RCA to my Quicksilver tube amp.

This came out by "Reviews by Wave Theory" where he argues that "it's a much much better performing DAC from it's balanced outputs".

Is there any truth to that? He said the same thing about the Gashelli labs j2 I was looking at.

SiamXIII

I'm considering getting the D1SE to output via RCA to my Quicksilver tube amp.

This came out by "Reviews by Wave Theory" where he argues that "it's a much much better performing DAC from it's balanced outputs".

Is there any truth to that? He said the same thing about the Gashelli labs j2 I was looking at.
It would be strange, as A1 amp is RCA only.

Snoopy

Major Contributor

With tax the D1Se2 is 900 euros at audiophonics.fr. , for 633 USD I would really consider it but at 900 Euro. The SU-9 pro pro is 549 euros.

The analog section of the SMSL SU-10 seems to be even more impressive if im not wrong.

Last edited:

kiyu

With tax the D1Se2 is 900 euros at audiophonics.fr. , for 633 USD I would really consider it but at 900 Euro. The SU-9 pro pro is 549 euros.

The analog section of the SMSL SU-10 seems to be even more impressive if im not wrong.
but the smsl su 10 is more expensive than the d1se2
if I were you I would check on "ever solo" dac, it looks quite nice

Top Bottom