• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D-6 DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 90 30.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 188 64.4%

• Total voters

anli

With both my coaxial sources - bluray player and dvb-t receiver - this never happens, regardless what I do.
Probably your digital sources some way keep hardware connection during session, and mine one doesn't.
Unfortunately I'm among those who is affected by the issue. E70 is ordered.

nirschl

I’ve been using this DAC now for about 2 weeks in my living room listening set-up. PC>D-6(Prd DSD pass through mode) >Belles Soloist 3 pre-amp>Belles Soloist 5 amp>Usher 602 towers. I have not experienced any pop noises when listening through foobar, Bluetooth or optical. I have yet to try the coaxial input. Prior to this I was using the DX3 pro and still have the D10 in my chain in my vehicle. I immediately went to some of my standard tracks and was immediately pleased with its performance. Honestly just more pleasing on the ears and made me realize what I had been missing in terms of detail or it just presents them in a different way perhaps.

I have yet to eliminate the Soloist 3 and try the DAC as a stand alone pre-amp. I’m assuming I’ll loose some signal strength? Any thought here from the much more experienced folk?

Thank you as always to the great Amir for this site and your(and others) informative reviews.

Cheers

Added a few pics for those whom like them. I’m using Belden’s 88760(0.3cm) interconnects and SAEC Triple C speaker cables. So far, this works for me.

Attachments

• ADB3E0EA-04F4-4F8F-BFA8-94E771D5DBFE.jpeg
    ADB3E0EA-04F4-4F8F-BFA8-94E771D5DBFE.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 177
  • 57E44FD0-8EE9-42D0-B33C-A8C5E0B5AB4D.jpeg
    57E44FD0-8EE9-42D0-B33C-A8C5E0B5AB4D.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 175
  • E14025E7-EBD7-4C72-BF3F-BE82F133395F.jpeg
    E14025E7-EBD7-4C72-BF3F-BE82F133395F.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

Antz123

I am new to DAC/Interface world, just like Speakers is there is a list of recommended by budget DACs?

LGD_

I am new to DAC/Interface world, just like Speakers is there is a list of recommended by budget DACs?
You can't go wrong with the SMSL D-6, only $170. My first standalone DAC too, and I'm totally satisfied with it.
Buy it on Amazon, and you can return it for a month if you don't like it.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Unless it is faulty, this is likely the last standalone 2-channel DAC you will ever need !

Antz123

You can't go wrong with the SMSL D-6, only $170. My first standalone DAC too, and I'm totally satisfied with it.
Buy it on Amazon, and you can return it for a month if you don't like it.
Thanks for the suggestion. I shall read up more about this. I saw some devices termed as DAC+Amp, is it better to keep them separate?

LGD_

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. A separate high-quality amp & speakers is my recommendation.
I use an 80W per channel amp (Sansui AU-9900), playing FLACs, mostly classical, some hi-res and lots of CD rips.
Speakers are large 3-ways that I built.
The sq is fabulous- it still amazes me. .

Gfx

Hi, does anyone have lg c1 with this dac? I have some nasty gpu buzzing (even on same electrical socket, same extension cord, tested different cables, sockets, cords, etc) that only goes away if i use toslink. But I've read lg tvs have poor toslink quality and there may be popping on sabrent dacs. I specifically would buy this because of the akg chips having better handling of poor optical signals. I'm going to use active speakers (kali lp6).
Edit: I've read someone was using c2 and has some issues, while c9 doesn't. So I'm curious if anyone has tried with c1.

nirschl

Hi, does anyone have lg c1 with this dac? I have some nasty gpu buzzing (even on same electrical socket, same extension cord, tested different cables, sockets, cords, etc) that only goes away if i use toslink. But I've read lg tvs have poor toslink quality and there may be popping on sabrent dacs. I specifically would buy this because of the akg chips having better handling of poor optical signals. I'm going to use active speakers (kali lp6).
Edit: I've read someone was using c2 and has some issues, while c9 doesn't. So I'm curious if anyone has tried with c1.
I’m running the D-6 with a TCL Google TV via toslink with zero issues. Ran in to one issue very recently which turned out to be the
20-ish year old opt cable I was using finally gave me the “finger.” ; ) Fortunately, I had a couple others on hand.

Currently paired with the A300 on a couple Usher Audio floor standers. Somewhat shocking to me that this set-up rivals my more expensive Belles stack. I’m about to order the D300 and perhaps another A300(for maybe better channel separation mostly) for fun. Atleast that concept works really well in my vehicle. One amp to each side and one on the sub. We’ll see. Cheers

Reactions: Gfx

Gfx

I’m running the D-6 with a TCL Google TV via toslink with zero issues. Ran in to one issue very recently which turned out to be the
20-ish year old opt cable I was using finally gave me the “finger.” ; ) Fortunately, I had a couple others on hand.

Currently paired with the A300 on a couple Usher Audio floor standers. Somewhat shocking to me that this set-up rivals my more expensive Belles stack. I’m about to order the D300 and perhaps another A300(for maybe better channel separation mostly) for fun. Atleast that concept works really well in my vehicle. One amp to each side and one on the sub. We’ll see. Cheers
Good thing you mentioned chromecast tv, as that's going to be my source (through tvs toslink). I'll also end up buying a short quality toslink cable just in case. Btw has anyone figured out the new smsl remote codes for volume? I saw there's a code key function on button remapper app. I'd prefer to control via my chromecast remote the smsl IR volume if possible.

johnkimura

Remote control: What's the sequence of button pushes to increment through menu? Then within selection how to choose a setting, e.g. filter, F1-6?

Manual does not describe. Is there an explanation of the flow chart for the remote?

Thx

staticV3

Master Contributor
Remote control: What's the sequence of button pushes to increment through menu? Then within selection how to choose a setting, e.g. filter, F1-6?

Manual does not describe. Is there an explanation of the flow chart for the remote?

Thx
According to the User Manual, you press the middle button on the remote to enter the menu, Up and Down to change the value of the current setting, and Left and Right to go through the different settings:
Screenshot_20230619-185549_Drive.png

welder911

Hello, i bought this dac from (SMSL D-6). It seems that there is no HW MIXER in Volumio, is this a loss?

HorizonsEdge

Hello, i bought this dac from (SMSL D-6). It seems that there is no HW MIXER in Volumio, is this a loss?

Can you be more detailed? I do not understand how the second sentence is related to the first.

welder911

Can you be more detailed? I do not understand how the second sentence is related to the first.
In the Volumio DAC settings, there are some options for audio output. It offers 3 options in this area. One of them is marked HW mixer, the other is Software mixer, and the last one is marked NONE. As far as I know the HW mixer gives the best sound but with the SMSL d-6 the HW mixer is not visible. I was able to use the HW mixer on my old Topping e30.

HorizonsEdge

In the Volumio DAC settings, there are some options for audio output. It offers 3 options in this area. One of them is marked HW mixer, the other is Software mixer, and the last one is marked NONE. As far as I know the HW mixer gives the best sound but with the SMSL d-6 the HW mixer is not visible. I was able to use the HW mixer on my old Topping e30.
/shrug
If you want something other than a neutral DAC then this unit might not be for you. Plenty of alternatives.
Furthermore, it is a bit of a stretch to expect specific hardware settings/implementations to be available across brands. You also need to ask yourself why would they exist in the first place.

Bottom line, find the sound that pleases you. That is part of the hobby.
GL

xeizo

No, there is no need for a mixer in D-6 since it's a single source/pb-device, if you're super serious about SQ you should install the drivers which enables ASIO which means you can bypass Windows software mixer if you use a ASIO aware playback programs(like Foobar2000 with ASIO plugin)

Top Bottom