• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D-6 DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 90 30.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 188 64.4%

• Total voters

lc6

So there is this Wadax Atlantic Reference DAC that is said to cost $157,000 or even $159,500, depending on who quotes it (I kid you not!). The device is said to have
"Total jitter is now 12 femptoseconds from 1-100 KHz, the lowest figure in the industry."
Yep, 12 "femptoseconds" [sic], bro. You can quote that to you fellow audiophools when bragging what you have! You can claim that you definitely hear the difference, even though the ADC used in the recording process had jitter in "nanposeconds" [sic intended].
Also:
"Real-time monitoring of PSU output makes Atlantis six-times quieter than the already outstanding Wadax Pre 1 Ultimate Trio."
So what happens if said "real-time monitoring" (via a dedicated hi-res ADC?) detects an excessive sag or ripple in the rail voltage -- does the entire DAC just shut off and refuse to play? Or is this "monitoring" merely a traditional linear feedback in the voltage regulator of the PSU?
Then:
"Completely discrete analogue output stage (a fully complementary design involving over 400 separate components) ensures that you lose none of the dynamic range, musical authority or bandwidth generated by the Atlantis DAC."
This reminds me of what Marantz does with Denon designs (since they are sister companies now): in AVRs, they replace some integrated elements with "discrete" circuits (so appealing to audiophools!), and in the process (according to Audioholics) make the performance worse.
I wish @amirm could measure this Wadax DAC and compare it to the much less expensive SOTA devices. Do you think it would it be worth 100-1,000x the price?

Bleib

Major Contributor
So there is this Wadax Atlantic Reference DAC that is said to cost $157,000 or even $159,500, depending on who quotes it (I kid you not!). The device is said to have
"Total jitter is now 12 femptoseconds from 1-100 KHz, the lowest figure in the industry."
Yep, 12 "femptoseconds" [sic], bro. You can quote that to you fellow audiophools when bragging what you have! You can claim that you definitely hear the difference, even though the ADC used in the recording process had jitter in "nanposeconds" [sic intended].
Also:
"Real-time monitoring of PSU output makes Atlantis six-times quieter than the already outstanding Wadax Pre 1 Ultimate Trio."
So what happens if said "real-time monitoring" (via a dedicated hi-res ADC?) detects an excessive sag or ripple in the rail voltage -- does the entire DAC just shut off and refuse to play? Or is this "monitoring" merely a traditional linear feedback in the voltage regulator of the PSU?
Then:
"Completely discrete analogue output stage (a fully complementary design involving over 400 separate components) ensures that you lose none of the dynamic range, musical authority or bandwidth generated by the Atlantis DAC."
This reminds me of what Marantz does with Denon designs (since they are sister companies now): in AVRs, they replace some integrated elements with "discrete" circuits (so appealing to audiophools!), and in the process (according to Audioholics) make the performance worse.
I wish @amirm could measure this Wadax DAC and compare it to the much less expensive SOTA devices. Do you think it would it be worth 100-1,000x the price?
There's really no need to test it. Some more expensive DACs have already been measured and it doesn't lead to any golden paradise.

Ralf Stocker

I think we need a new way to dislpay the ranking. Even at full size, the device names are getting hard to read :)

index.php

I vote for a histogram!
Print this chart out vertically. Simple & easy.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just download it and rotate it on my pc lol. I make screencaps to send people sometimes with just a segment if they ask me about performance.
I think it’s that some of us are using our phones and some are using PC. With a PC especially if you have an ultra wide monitor horizontal is fine. For phone users vertical is far better.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I think it’s that some of us are using our phones and some are using PC. With a PC especially if you have an ultra wide monitor horizontal is fine. For phone users vertical is far better.
I use 4k monitors and it still sucks. Horizontal is much better. Especially since we don't read bottom to top naturally :)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Also:
Then:
Prolly will lose to the SMSL D-6 DO100 or Topping E30 or JDS Atom+...

ABall

Forum Donor
I took a beating selling a TEAC UD505 because of degraded pixels. It was 100% functional but I couldn't move it at anywhere near a reasonable price.
If anyone else has this problem and can solder I fixed my 501 with one of these, bought a spare too, i bet its the same display in the 505, regret selling mine.

hi30u

I think we need a new way to dislpay the ranking. Even at full size, the device names are getting hard to read :)

index.php

I vote for a histogram!
Sorry to interrupt (this very useful discussion) and for being rude (as I am new here): can you guys open a dedicated thread to work on this matter?
It's kind of annoying to come here to get opinions on the D6 and get so many "out of topic" comments.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Merifon

Is it worth 70€ more than the D-6?
That was the same question I had with the SU-6.
With D-6 it's harder, price diff was the same but the SU-6 have not balanced output.
I guess that I would choice the DO100 again, it's grounded chassis could help in noise reiection, pure ratings are a little better and antialias filter seems have more choices. Such filter is the thing that makes more differences, to eventually satisfy tastes and last but not least, I had those 70€ and was my birthday...
Just my opinion

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would consider so.
I would also say that it’s better but measurements are as good as you could want for both of them and the only real difference is XLR vs TRS

rob755

Forum Donor
Here’s a note I left on the other thread “thoughts about the Smsl d-6” just for those that don’t read that now that there’s two active threads./ For those on the fence about this unit and the ESS versus AKM (new “velvet” series) debate I thought I would share my preferences (I’ve got to stress for my ears, through my system…;) I had my E50 here, which so far had been my favorite when I bought the D6 and after listening comparisons I sold the E50 and I am keeping the D6 . I am not a fan of MQA as well as far as needing the E50 for that. I actually have on order an E30 II for a second system that’s on its way from China. I will keep whichever one I like more in my main system. But I do use a balanced TI 3255 based amp, and also use the second set of outputs for my two sealed subs, So unless the topping sounds better I will most likely stay with the D6.

Last edited:

Kevinfc

Has anyone bought one of these and tried the remote? Wondering if it’s a good one in terms of not having to have it within a few feet and pointed exactly on level?

rob755

Forum Donor
Has anyone bought one of these and tried the remote? Wondering if it’s a good one in terms of not having to have it within a few feet and pointed exactly on level?
D-6 here and I sit nearfield about 7-8 feet away and never feel I have to fuss with it. I just point towards the unit.

ampguy

Yea I think the E50/D50 is the next cheapest. Or maybe DX3 pro+?
There's the Topping D10B, usb input only I think, and no BT/remote, but USB bus powered is nice, less power cables. Not sure if specs are as good as this.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
There's the Topping D10B, usb input only I think, and no BT/remote, but USB bus powered is nice, less power cables. Not sure if specs are as good as this.
There is this too. Quite a value. Was just on sale for $55. You could do worse for 5k VS this $55.

SHENZHENAUDIO

Dealer
Thanks @amirm , I also have this issue from USB input from my Windows 10 Laptop, as well as my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra mobile (when audio signal is inactive for 5 seconds, there is a slight click sound. The click also happens when the audio signal comes back)

I circumvent this by using the Optical Toslink out from my Topping D10 Balanced into this.

Hope this helps you reproduce the issue!

I have also contacted @SHENZHENAUDIO support via email, but they cannot seem to reproduce this issue, even though I pointed them to this thread where many have encountered it.
Hi, You can contact [email protected] /[email protected] for confirmation or an after-service if there is any inconvenience. We'll try our best to satisfy you.

WhyNotHad

Hi, You can contact [email protected] /[email protected] for confirmation or an after-service if there is any inconvenience. We'll try our best to satisfy you.

When will the current firmware be updated?

The clicking issue is a problem that occurs across users of D-6. I assume that you received the report about this problem before, but there is no notification about when it will be updated.

Tell us your plan, please.

Top Bottom