• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D-6 DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 90 30.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 188 64.4%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is there a reason to prefer D-6 over the newer D-6S?
The D-6 is less expensive and has a more conventional form factor without that protruding display panel. It's also a bit more compact since it uses TRS jacks for balanced Line out.

The sound quality is the same.

LGD_

It uses an AKM chip and has DSD Direct mode. This may or may not matter to you but I find it superior to DAC only mode when playing DSD, even though it's slightly softer. It sounds great, I have no complaints and it's performed beautifully for me.
I too am totally happy with the D6, and see no reason, for me, to ever buy another DAC again ( unless my D6 dies, lol )
I use the DSD Direct (Pr-d) always, playing DSD files and FLACs upconverted to DSD.
I didn't know that the new D6s didn't have the DSD direct mode.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I too am totally happy with the D6, and see no reason, for me, to ever buy another DAC again ( unless my D6 dies, lol )
I use the DSD Direct (Pr-d) always, playing DSD files and FLACs upconverted to DSD.
I didn't know that the new D6s didn't have the DSD direct mode.
DSD Direct may be a feature of the AKM DAC chip. The D6S uses ESS DAC chip.

muziker

Hi! I have this DAC between Volumio on RPi3 and Adam T7V and it's great except way too bright LED and lack of volume control and input switch over USB which makes it little bit less convenient to operate. Can you recommend DAC without these issues?

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi! I have this DAC between Volumio on RPi3 and Adam T7V and it's great except way too bright LED and lack of volume control and input switch over USB which makes it little bit less convenient to operate. Can you recommend DAC without these issues?

Press and hold the Fn button on the remote to toggle the display on/off function.

muziker

Thanks @Palladium! I couldn't find it in manual and now I can finally remove ugly tape from the screen.
It's a pity this DAC doesn't support at least volume over USB so that I could control it from Volumio without sacrificing quality. Any recommendations are welcome.

sterkoff

CRAP!

My D-6 has just started to introduce a terrible static noise out of the blue. Was working as it should since purchased new in Nov 2022, and have tried switching out all cables and power sources but no improvement. Just out of warranty and now pretty much useless... Anyone have any ideas to try? Its not the USB cable or port from PC, its not either the XLR or RCA audio cables and it is not the power cord or outlet (determined by testing everything many times over.)

Last edited:

RandomEar

CRAP!

My D-6 has just started to introduce a terrible static noise out of the blue. Was working as it should since purchased new in Nov 2022, and have tried switching out all cables and power sources but no improvement. Just out of warranty and now pretty much useless... Anyone have any ideas to try? Its not the USB cable or port from PC, its not either the XLR or RCA audio cables and it is not the power cord or outlet (determined by testing everything many times over.)
Total shot in the dark, but there is a known problem with the clock generator IC on the SMSL SU-9n and the symptoms can be similar: Some people report dropouts, others report static + distortion. Symptoms get better when the DAC is left to cool down. May be worth a shot to look for that particular IC on your D-6.

Draki

CRAP!

Does it work with coax/optical? @xrk971 reported in the above diyaudio link that the clock generator part works only with the USB input (note: he is talking about SU-9n though, but could be related).
D-6 owner too here.

edit: it was member @horias2000

Last edited:

jindy30

Greetings Amir, I was wondering if you heard clicks/pops and if so what you have to say about them? I have one and really like it. The synergy is just great in my system as it is these days. Thanks.
Do you use the power supply or USB bus power?

LGD_

This DAC can't be USB bus powered
You are correct, sir...

Here's something to think about that may ( or may not ) keep your D6 working longer:

You should be aware that, whenever the D6 is plugged into AC power, all or part of it's power supply is on 24/7.
If it wasn't, how would you be able to turn the DAC on with the remote ?
That adds up to a lot of hours usage for the power supply, the part of the DAC most likely to fail at some point....

Realizing this at the beginning, I plug my D6 into the switched AC outlet of my amp, so it's totally off when not in use.
Easy to do, and (hopefully) the DAC will last longer because of doing this.

Music1969

Major Contributor
That adds up to a lot of hours usage for the power supply, the part of the DAC most likely to fail at some point....
Actually daily on/off is a bit more likely to accelerate component failure than leaving on low power standby

Greyfox

CRAP!

Came to share here a similar issue.

• Once I turn on the DAC, static noise like sound coming out from my speakers, which is audible from listening position.
  • Changing the volume does not affect the volume of the noise.
  • If I turn off the DAC, the noise is gone until turning back.
  • If I start to play some music, it's hard to tell if it's still there, but I feel like some high frequency sound is getting some settle distortion (not 100% sure, could be my imagination, not sure how to test this.). Decreasing the volume to 0 on the source while keep playing the music, there is no noise.
  • If I stop the music it's dead silent for like 5 sec, and the noise comes back again.
  • After longer listening sessions the noise is not coming back for a while.
  • tried with a different amp, cables, balanced, unbalanced out, same. (with balanced the noise is more audible, maybe the higher gain)
Weird.

Edit: Did a quick check on warranty. Guess what. Bought in 2022 November :D

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
I'm thinking of selling my Topping E30 and buying this as it has balanced with 4 Vrms out, which I need for my power amp. I have a few questions of a practical nature. They may have been addressed in the thread before. If so, I apologize for missing it.Anyway:

You who have this. Does it work well? Have you had any problems with it? Any weird popping noises or something like that?

Can you plug in via cable and then switch between that input and Bluetooth smoothly? That is, only via a button press or do you have to change some menu settings if you want to do that?

Do you feel that the Bluetooth receiver in it is powerful?

Is it possible to plug in with a cable from a mobile phone or Tablet,Android, in the SMSL D-6?
(it should be standard but I'm asking anyway)
I mostly intended to use it that way BUT it would be convenient to be able to switch to internet radio every now and then. In that case, internet radio via Bluetooth.

The remote control. Does it work well?

jindy30

I'm thinking of selling my Topping E30 and buying this as it has balanced with 4 Vrms out, which I need for my power amp. I have a few questions of a practical nature. They may have been addressed in the thread before. If so, I apologize for missing it.Anyway:

You who have this. Does it work well? Have you had any problems with it? Any weird popping noises or something like that?

Can you plug in via cable and then switch between that input and Bluetooth smoothly? That is, only via a button press or do you have to change some menu settings if you want to do that?

Do you feel that the Bluetooth receiver in it is powerful?

Is it possible to plug in with a cable from a mobile phone or Tablet,Android, in the SMSL D-6?
(it should be standard but I'm asking anyway)
I mostly intended to use it that way BUT it would be convenient to be able to switch to internet radio every now and then. In that case, internet radio via Bluetooth.

The remote control. Does it work well?
What amp.do you have. Why is 4Vrms so necessary. Its says 5 Vrms is the output amplitude. I am looking at a small laptop set up, with seperates so matching the interface and power amp is a question I have also.

DanielT

Major Contributor
What amp.do you have. Why is 4Vrms so necessary. Its says 5 Vrms is the output amplitude. I am looking at a small laptop set up, with seperates so matching the interface and power amp is a question I have also.
My power amp has balanced inputs. A PA amp, mine anyway, would work fine out of 4 Vrms in.:)
Plus, I am then given more freedom to run long cables between amp and DAC and I am then given the opportunity to set up the amplifier in a cabinet without having the problems, or potential problems, that can arise with long unbalanced RCA cables.

IMG_20211024_143749.jpg

For a home HiFi amp - DAC, you often don't need balanced between the devices. SMSL D-6 has both unbalanced and balanced outputs, so then it's just a matter of testing.:)

Top Bottom