• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL C200 & DCA Aeon 2 Noire

twm2718

I intend to power the Aeon 2 Noire with an SMSL C200. Does anyone have this setup? If so, I would be grateful for some feedback.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
C200 generated 1.4W at 32Ω, the Noire (13 Ω @ 92DB) would be fine, Amir's review mentioned the Stealth being harder to drive, but its a lot less sensitive and has higher impedance. I personally found the Aeon 2 Closed RT to be thirsty for power, but did not test them on the C200 when I had them.

I think the C200 would be absolutely fine for the Noire.

OP
T

twm2718

C200 generated 1.4W at 32Ω, the Noire (13 Ω @ 92DB) would be fine, Amir's review mentioned the Stealth being harder to drive, but its a lot less sensitive and has higher impedance. I personally found the Aeon 2 Closed RT to be thirsty for power, but did not test them on the C200 when I had them.

I think the C200 would be absolutely fine for the Noire.
Thanks!

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Just wanted to say that I use the Aeon 2 Noire with HARMAN EQ, volume leveling and negative preamp of a few dB in roon to avoid clipping etc.

I use the Singxer SA-1 (high gain)and the SMSL SP400 (medium gain level) with balanced DACs.

And while I have plenty of volume left, with quiet recordings I wouldn't be sure If 1.4 watt would be enough for me.

That might be because of my settings in Roon (headroom and volume leveling are already -7db).

OP
T

twm2718

Just wanted to say that I use the Aeon 2 Noire with HARMAN EQ, volume leveling and negative preamp of a few dB in roon to avoid clipping etc.

I use the Singxer SA-1 (high gain)and the SMSL SP400 (medium gain level) with balanced DACs.

And while I have plenty of volume left, with quiet recordings I wouldn't be sure If 1.4 watt would be enough for me.

That might be because of my settings in Roon (headroom and volume leveling are already -7db).
Many thanks Snoopy for your first hand feedback! It is much appreciated.

Previously Amir measured the DCA Aeon RT Closed and listed a sensitivity requirement of 677 mV for 94 dB SPL. While they are not exactly the same headphones I would expect the sensitivity of the Noire to be somewhat similar. If true, the C200 should provide enough power to drive the Noire headphone. With this in mind, your feedback surprises me. Though perhaps I am misunderstanding something or the Noires are indeed much less sensitive. If anyone could clarify, it would be much appreciated.

paudio

I have calculated my usual listening level to be 2mW with the Noire. Mostly use an Apple dongle to listen or my Qudelix single ended. Qudelix gets loud enough with even like -12db pregain for EQ.

I listen at about 90-95 dbSPL.

OP
T

twm2718

I have calculated my usual listening level to be 2mW with the Noire. Mostly use an Apple dongle to listen or my Qudelix single ended. Qudelix gets loud enough with even like -12db pregain for EQ.

That sounds promising indeed! Many thanks for the feedback.

ehabheikal

how can i measure spl in headphone so i can know how load what i listen to is

Top Bottom