• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL Aoshida Hi-Fi DO200

jokan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just received email from Aoshida Hi-Fi Japan that the DO200 will be released imminently.
This is the information I have managed to discover. The pricing will be just over $500 USD.

• [Supports SMSL DO200 MQA full decoding] USB / OPT / coaxial / AES input supports MQA decoding function and also supports MQA-CD. All input terminals support DSD (except BT), and coaxial, OPT, and AES support Dop64.
  • [High quality chipset] Equipped with two advanced D / A chips ES9068AS, THD + N is suppressed as low as 122dB. It is equipped with five high-end dual operational amplifiers OPA1612A and a large number of audio grade components. XMOS XU-216, true 32-bit USB solution, compatible with Dop256 and native DSD512, PCM supports up to 768KHZ.
  • [BLUETOOTH 5.0 DAC] Qualcomm's latest Bluetooth chip supports LDAC 24bit / 96khz, APTX / HD, SBC, and AAC. Wireless Bluetooth connection has become more convenient.
  • [Low noise power supply] A linear power supply, which is a discrete component designed exclusively for analog circuits, and multiple low noise power supplies are used to improve power efficiency and reduce power consumption.
  • [With full-function remote control] Full-view color IPS display with dimming function. Equipped with a full-function remote controller. High quality gold plating is applied to the input / output connection terminals. Obtained HI-RES certification.

SMSL DO200 MQA USB DAC DSD512 32-bit / 768kHz Bluetooth 5.0 Audio Decoder MQA Decoding (for HO200 Headphone Amplifier) AO200 Power Amplifier

Product Features:
1) USB / OPT / Coaxial / AES input supports MQA decoding function, also for MQA-CD I can handle it.
2) Tempered glass display panel, higher light transmittance, longer service life.
3) Ultra-low phase noise and optimized clock system realize ultra-low clock jitter.
4) XMOS XU-216, true 32-bit USB solution, compatible with Dop256 and native DSD512, PCM supports up to 768KHZ.
5) Five high-end dual op amps OPA1612A and numerous audio grade components.
6) Two advanced ES9068 ASD / A chips, THD + N achieves a minimum of 122dB.
7) Comes with a full-featured remote control.

Product Parameter
Brand: SMSL
Model: DO200
THD + N: 0.00008% (-122d8)
Dynamic Range: XLR 129dB; RCA 125dB
SNR: 128dB
Output Impedance: 100Ω
Input: USB / Optical / Coaxial / Bluetooth / 12S / AES / EBU
Output: RCA / XLR
USB transmission: Asynchronous

bit depth
USB: 1 bit, 16-32 bit
optical / coaxial / AES / EBU: 1 bit, 16-24 bit

sampling rate
USB / I2S: PCM 44.1-768kHz; DSD 2.8224-22.5792MHz
optical / coaxial / AES / EBU: PCM 44.1-768kHz; DSD64 (DoP)

Bluetooth specification: BT 5.0 (compatible with SBC / AAC / APTX / APTX HD / LDAC)
Power consumption: 5W
Standby power: <0.5W
Size: 210 X 40 X 170mm ( WxHxD)
Machine weight (including remote control): 1.2KG
Packing weight: 1.9KG

Package list:
1 * SMSL DO200
1 * Remote control
1 * Bluetooth antenna
1 * USB cable
1 * AC power cable
1 * User manual
1 * Warranty card

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
OP
jokan

jokan

Some pics for everyone.

Attachments

• DO200 1.jpg
    DO200 1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 565
  • DO200 2.jpg
    DO200 2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 616
  • DO200 3.jpg
    DO200 3.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 678
  • DO200 4.jpg
    DO200 4.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 517
  • DO200 5.jpg
    DO200 5.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 559
  • DO200 6.jpg
    DO200 6.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 481
OP
jokan

jokan

OP
jokan

jokan

They've added MQA on the SMSL Aoshida DO200 even though MQA has been taken out of the SU-9n.
Op-Amps on the SU-9n are not mentioned though I know Vintage, that you've figure it out by now.
The global shortage of chips is forcing manufacturers to work with what they have. I think the DO200 maybe one of the last devices that use the opa1612. (Genuine 1612's? not sure about that!).

It's scheduled to ship on the 29th here in Japan. I don't know what the timing is elsewhere.

escape2

Link to product page:

OP
jokan

jokan

Link to product page:

User updatable firmware! FINALLY!
I2s doesn't interest me, nor does MQA.
I like the rest of the DAC though. At least on paper.

It is my opinion that we have too many similar devices with no real innovation. There's also the global Chip shortage/crisis which will probably force companies to "make do" with what is available. I don't expect real innovation for the coming year unless the manufacturers collectively find a new and improved way to make DAC's. A rethink is needed.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is my opinion that we have too many similar devices with no real innovation.
Agreed. There's nothing much existing to expect from new DACs anymore. Performance has gone far above audibility and I don't see many new useful features from regular DACs.
I don't expect real innovation for the coming year unless the manufacturers collectively find a new and improved way to make DAC's. A rethink is needed.
That's why I love the ADI-2 DAC, it is still the more interesting offering around, IMHO. Along with its DSP, it could include Room EQ, streamer functions with future iterations.

OP
jokan

jokan

It's why I too have the RME ADI-2 DAC fs!
Also it's extremely musical sounding and not analytical at all. Also helpful when you live in Tokyo and you don't want to wake up the neighbours with too much bass! Having a powerful parametric EQ along with additional 2 band bass and treble with adjustable centre frequencies and adjustable Q really helps out!

It's still a bargain at the current retail price. The newest model has replaced some parts due to the parts shortage, so mine is out of date but it seems that it's largely the same.

@VintageFlanker

bravomail

Yes, you are correct that the information has been available but not on a dedicated thread that I could see under the DAC section on ASR.

What Aoshida stands for? Is that a name of a designer? Some other word? Subcompany?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What Aoshida stands for? Is that a name of a designer? Some other word? Subcompany?
It is the name of the retailer.

OP
jokan

jokan

Aoshida is a weak attempt to make their name seem Japanese. Let me assure you that Aoshida means nothing in Japanese and it is not the last name of a Japanese person either. They just took a name that sounds vaguely Japanese for the sake of marketing their brand.

I'm a good acquaintance of Aoshida Hi-Fi Japan's owner, his name is Mr Koike. That is a Japanese Last name and He is himself Japanese. He's also the distributor for several Chinese built hifi DAC's. He's extremely helpful and is very concerned about after the sale, customer service.

I am a fan of how he does conducts business as he's trying to get the name of SMSL and other brands he sells to be respected in Japan. He knows very well that Japanese brand name products just aren't on the cutting edge, nor do they make their own amps. They merely repackage it with their own brand name stamped on imported amplifier boards.

Rest assured that Aoshida is a company that intends to be around for the long term. They swapped mine out after the Amazon exchange period at no cost to me and updated the firmware of the AO200 amplifier that had a misspelled bluetoot connection. Yes, all over the missing "H" in bluetooth. They paid for expedited shipping from Japan and back to China and back to me. On my request they ran a full systems check and sent a fully tested amplifier back to me. The only reason I know it was tested for certain is that the volume was maxed out when I initially powered it up, then I checked the hardware/firmware versions.

It's confusing when SMSL is owned by an umbrella company and they make so many amplifiers under different brand names. I would reduce the confusion and keep it all under one brand name. That sells the SMSL brand and keeps customers from being confused. But it's not my company so they can do as they please. I'm sure eventually that they will focus in on one name in the end as it's the only logical choice.

escape2

Aoshida is a weak attempt to make their name seem Japanese. Let me assure you that Aoshida means nothing in Japanese and it is not the last name of a Japanese person either. They just took a name that sounds vaguely Japanese for the sake of marketing their brand.
And then there is S.M.S.L. which apparently came from the word ShuangMuSanLin (Foshan ShuangMuSanLin technology Co., Ltd.)

Does ShuangMuSanLin mean anything in Mandarin? Google Translate wasn't very helpful.

OP
jokan

jokan

And then there is S.M.S.L. which apparently came from the word ShuangMuSanLin (Foshan ShuangMuSanLin technology Co., Ltd.)
Does ShuangMuSanLin mean anything in Mandarin? Google Translate wasn't very helpful.

I only speak 2 languages fluently English and Japanese. Mandarin and Cantonese are a total mystery to me! Though I do hope they just stick with SMSL and possibly SMSL/Aoshida to define the two brands. I know Sajab is the same brand too, or manufacturing company. It's just a bad business plan to have so many similar components in different cases with nearly the identical performance. It cost too much in tooling and labour. The parent group messed up in my opinion this model cycle by producing so many bloody amplifiers that are far too expensive and actually old technology. The SA400 seems to be a total flop as well as the V2 amp. Expanding into a different price bracket is great, but you have to have the performance to back it up. And you can't just pay for a Hi-Res silkscreen and stick it on without people noticing that it is NOT hi-res certified, nor can it play the beyond human hearing by several thousand Hz. I am not a fan of products that are hugely misleading as they only serve to bring down the trust between consumer and brand.

Mindhead1

How does one go about deciding which SMSl DAC to buy? They have so many options that do similar things.

k2kbin

To break it down, Shuang-Double, Mu-Wood, San-Triple, Lin-Forest. In Chinese characters,木-Wood,林-Forest(Artificially planted) and 森- Forest(naturally grown), from the number of 木 you can can tell that the name of company just mean a loooooooooooooooooooot of woods.

ozboater

My DO200 is arriving in a week, along with XLR cables.
This will be paired with the AO200 I've had for a month, and really like (although I do much prefer silver gear, not black).

Lusting after Gustards, L.K.S MH-004s etc (but not wanting to spend), with their 2x DAC chips and high performance, I decided to take a punt after finding out about the DO200 after buying the AO200.

Do I need it ? Heck no. Currently using a Topping E50 with XLR, but in my head it will be sexy to have 2x ES8068 chips and it matches the Amp.

DAC progression since discovering Amir's ASR and chi-fi has been S.M.S.L M8 (ES8018) with Linear PS, then M8A (ES8028Q2M), thenTopping E50.
I am completely stunned at the incredibly high performance of this latest generation of gear from S.M.S.L and Topping.
I can happily and confidently report that the MQA will never get used :)

Last edited:
OP
jokan

jokan

Let us know what your impressions are from day one, and how it changes or doesn't change over the first week or so of ownership. I've had my eye on this DAC for a while!

Top Bottom