• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

smsl AO200 or Topping MX5?

Gzom

Hello. I can’t decide which amplifier to choose: smsl AO200 or Topping MX5 I wanted to ask which one of the two you would buy and for what reason? Please help me decide. According to the reviews, I like both, there is no way to listen before buying, but in Topping MX5 I am attracted by a good USB DAC. From what I understand they sound about the same, right?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Comparing the specs between the two, there isn't a lot of difference. SMSL AO200 has better output delivery due to supposed bigger power supply, it's rated for 90W at 4 ohms whilst the MX5 is rated at 70w at 4 ohms. Besides that, as you mentioned, the DAC in the MX5 is an ESS, whereas there isn't any mention of the DAC type on the SMSL. Depends on what impedance of the speakers you're driving, I'd go with the SMSL for better output rating, but depends on your best use scenario.

warpdrive

I considered both. I chose the MX5 because I thought it was better suited for both headphone and speaker use.

For speaker use, the sound quality should be similar among both units. But the MX5 should have a better headphone stage and DAC with the ESS chip. I think of it more as a headphone amp/DAC which has a speaker output as a bonus. The AO200 is better as a speaker amp because it provides a subwoofer output and may have more power.

Lastly, the MX5 is a more compact unit and I like the clear monochrome display. Currently using it to drive Wharfedale Diamond and my Hifiman headphones

413963.1f4b6d96dd034953c1bb838c0c9b40e1.1600.jpg

Top Bottom