• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL AO200+6Ohm 85dB Efficiency Speaker-A Big No No

J.M.D

Hi Allll,

I was running this little Class D AO200 from SMSL with AE Lite-One Speaker (89dB @ 8 Ohm 100W) with ease and was really enjoying them , Until I swapped the speakers with ELAC Uni-Fi Reference UBR62 which is 85dB 6 Ohm 140W Speaker.

Problem :- I cant go past volume 33 step on the AMP as the audio would cut out frequently.

I was in the assumption that this AMP could drive them at least to a moderate volume level listening considering the advertised claim 90W x 2 @ 4 Ohm and 50W x 2 @ 8Ohm as per SMSL, even though 6 Ohm rating is not listed on SMSL's website.

So Any expertise advise welcome friends ?

PS- I have seen some MOD's on the AO200 here on ASR for the correct filter or something, but cant seem to find now..

Regards,

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Well those are hard to drive and all do declared 6 Ohm's they don't fall under 5.2 and go up a lot and against the phase. Would use at least old chunky AB class Yamaha declared at 100 (up to 140 continously with 10% THD) into 8 Ohm's for them. AO200 is very weak (bat rather clean) 17~18W into 8 Ohm's as I remember from measurements.

chuckt62

Editor
ELAC%20UBR62_Impedance_0.1v.png

Link

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Sorry my bad I mixed them with DBR62.

panther

Ordered one since it was on sale and a coupon. Will try it with Dali Menuets for now in my office. Was thinking of the Sabaj a30a but wanted the easier return policy with Amazon.haven’t decided on a DAC yet though as I am torn between a DO200 mk2 or Schiit Bifrost.

melvinjames

Forum Donor
I'm kind of surprised to read about your experience @J.M.D. I've been using the AO200 with the rather inefficient Mark & Daniel Ruby speakers with great success (music and movies). The manufacture states:

"The nominal impedance is 3-6 ohms with average efficiency being 82.5dB/2.83V/1m. For proper operation, a high current amplifier with no less than 100 watts output per channel is recommended for Maximus-Ruby."

I've also used the AO200 with my Ohm MicroWalsh Talls which are rated at 85dB/2.8V. Never a problem with these either. FWIW I don't listen at ear-bleeding levels but I do like to turn up the volume!

OP
J

J.M.D

Hi back again..
I am sorry but to miss represent this thread on AO200.

Later on I came to realize that there was no issues at all on the AO200 itself for those audio cutout I experienced, but rather it was the additional lines i used to hook the Subwoofer on the high level connection which was causing the issue.

@melvinjames , Yes this little AMP can drive almost any speakers which is less of a concern. However I found a bit on the analytical side with more revealing speakers such as elac ubr62's.

melvinjames

Forum Donor
Later on I came to realize that there was no issues at all on the AO200 itself for those audio cutout I experienced, but rather it was the additional lines i used to hook the Subwoofer on the high level connection which was causing the issue.

Good to know and thanks for the update.

However I found a bit on the analytical side with more revealing speakers such as elac ubr62's.

I find this interesting because my Rubys are the most brutally revealing speaker I've owned and they sound fantastic paired with the AO200. Please don't misunderstand, I don't dispute your findings/preferences/taste at all, it's just different from my experience. I've paired my speakers with a variety of class a/b and d amps and the AO200 is not only my favorite but also the least expensive.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Hi back again..
I am sorry but to miss represent this thread on AO200.

@melvinjames , Yes this little AMP can drive almost any speakers which is less of a concern. However I found a bit on the analytical side with more revealing speakers such as elac ubr62's.
For my clarification: You tried to drive a passive subwoofer in parallel with your main L/R speakers and it overloaded the amplifier which caused it to shut down ?

panther

Connected the AO200 to DALI Menuet SE and it plays no problem in my small room. 28 volume got me to over 75 SPL. Very impressed with this amp. I haven't even connected an external DAC yet and it's easily comparing to my QUAD Vena amp that was 5x the price when I got it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom