• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL and Windows 11 support

simplywyn

I have top of the line Topping DACs and top of the line SMSL DACs, but none of them have drivers that work for windows 11. Does anyone know how to get them working on Windows 11? The drivers barely worked in Windows 10, and were very brittle.

Is there any benefit to getting the drivers to work? Currently both devices display as unknown devices in device manager (I have 2 DAC's going to headphones and speakers on my main PC)

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No issues with a Topping DAC/ HPA on my home PC, which ran on Windows 10 until I accepted the 'upgrade' to Win11 a month or so ago.

lowmagnet

My SMSL D400ex has a driver I dl'ed from them that includes a program called "XMOS USB DAC Driver Control Panel"

If that's not in a search of start, download the vendor driver. (a lot of them are xmos based for ASIO)

nsfgp

Running Topping (Thesycon) drivers on 2 Win11 machines ... since the last 3-4 versions ... never had any issue with any of them.
Also running them on another 2 Win10 machines too ... never any issue.
Same thing for the FX-Audio Driver for my FX Dac. They are all the same Thesycon drivers for XMOS input chips. Same as SMSL drivers.

You may have an Unknown Device "XXXX-DFU" in device manager .... that is ok just ignore it. It is related to device firmware update.

Pouyoux

my SMSL DAC (DO100) was able to run only in USB 1.1 mode without driver and not in 2.0 with/without driver on Windows 11 and I had 2 problems :

1/ the SMSL driver (https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/downlist/id/11.html) was rising an error at boot : solved by doing a fresh install of Windows (now 11 22h2). No more driver error message at boot but the DAC was resetting every few seconds when used in USB 2.0 mode.

2/ the DAC was connected to an USB 2.0 port, after moving it to an USB 3.0 port everything is working fine

the DAC now appears in windows device manager as a SMSL USB DAC :

smsldac.png

hope it helps.

Last edited:

pilsnermonkey

I have top of the line Topping DACs and top of the line SMSL DACs, but none of them have drivers that work for windows 11. Does anyone know how to get them working on Windows 11? The drivers barely worked in Windows 10, and were very brittle.

Is there any benefit to getting the drivers to work? Currently both devices display as unknown devices in device manager (I have 2 DAC's going to headphones and speakers on my main PC)
I have an older SMSL M8 DAC and have run in to many USB problems since purchase in 2015 or so. I just gave up (years ago) and used the TOSLINK as a surrender/work-around for good-enough PC audio.

I have a new MoBo and this board has TOSLINK issues (dropouts) so am now back to USB. Ran into 'unsigned driver' issues on Win 11 with SMSL XMOS USB driver v5.0.0_2020_12_18 when trying to install. There was a yellow flag in Device Manager (issue was 51 or 52 ass I recall according to Dev Mgr; did not record it).
I installed the driver as Administrator (right click M8 Driver.exe and run as Admin). So far so good. (I think I renamed the driver to M8 Driver.exe when I unshooped).

Anyway, so far so good. Hope this helps someone who may stumble upon this thread.

Top Bottom