• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL A300 My Subjective-ish review

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the sabaj a20a is the sister model

similar price, much better build

has some goodies like single balanced in for BTL...

downside is the relability, at least initial, seems to be worse

IMO because the sabaj has no display nor remote (please correct me if wrong), this is a true power amp... you kind of do need a dac preamp ontop

power should be the same as the board should have the same chipset/count

pbc

Thanks for the review! Can this amp be turned on in other ways than pushing the 'on' button? E.g. will it turn on when connected to the mains supply, so that one could use a 'smart' power strip? (I don't see a "trigger" input on the back).

This is a good question (just bought the amp to use with a Martin Logan Unison / ARC and will use my subwoofer for bass management). Is the amp always on or does it have an auto detect?

Birdy

Is the SMSL A300 a better sounding amp then the Aiyima A07 ? I am using the Aiyima A07 with GE tubes and opa2134 and 2604 in the Aiyima 03 pre amp. Sounds surprisingly good, but if i can go better.. why not. My speakers are about 90 dB, easy to drive and do not need loads of power. What upgrade do you guy's suggest? I drive the pre amp with a small USB hifime 9018 dac which i like a lot, maybe there is a upgrade there possible as well..

pbc

Is the SMSL A300 a better sounding amp then the Aiyima A07 ? I am using the Aiyima A07 with GE tubes and opa2134 and 2604 in the Aiyima 03 pre amp. Sounds surprisingly good, but if i can go better.. why not. My speakers are about 90 dB, easy to drive and do not need loads of power. What upgrade do you guy's suggest? I drive the pre amp with a small USB hifime 9018 dac which i like a lot, maybe there is a upgrade there possible as well..

Not sure there’d be much point moving from the Aiyima to this amp. Especially if you’ve modded the Aiyima. I had the SMSL AO200 and the Aiyima, couldn’t really tell much of a diff at all so returned the AO200.

Birdy

Not sure there’d be much point moving from the Aiyima to this amp. Especially if you’ve modded the Aiyima. I had the SMSL AO200 and the Aiyima, couldn’t really tell much of a diff at all so returned the AO200.
Thanks, good point.. and yes the Aiyima 07 sounds already very good, special after modification. Will wait until a new killer amp comes out if it's in my budget.. class D is getting better every year.

DanielT

Major Contributor
SMSL A300 is based on, is built with the same amplifier chip found that is in Loxjie A30. Tests for Loxjie A30 can be found here:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-12-15_192907.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-15_192907.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot_2022-12-15_194722.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-15_194722.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot_2022-12-15_192635.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-15_192635.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 111

Zek

Major Contributor
SMSL A300 is based on, is built with the same amplifier chip found that is in Loxjie A30.
Not exactly on the same chip, but on Infineon MA5332MS...

DanielT

Major Contributor
Not exactly on the same chip, but on Infineon MA5332MS...
Aha, then perhaps Audiophonics has specified the wrong amplifier chip.

It is thus this chip SMSL A300 is based on::)

Screenshot_2022-12-15_202855.jpg

nsfgp

Thanks for the review! Can this amp be turned on in other ways than pushing the 'on' button? E.g. will it turn on when connected to the mains supply, so that one could use a 'smart' power strip? (I don't see a "trigger" input on the back).
Yes it should work as you want with a smart/wifi controlled power strip.
Had power outage while the A300 was on. It stayed on when power is back so it remembered last powered state.
There is no auto-detect for power on just to be clear. Input signal has no part to play with the power state.

nhs

One curious thing I'm wondering when using the RCA input by this amp. The A300 uses a digital pot for volume control, right?
So input signals have to be converted to digital and then back again to analog. For me the amp only makes sense for some one who primarily uses the USB or BT as input.

Marcos Mazur

I think perhaps you have to get accustomed to a new amp. There's heaps of detail, vocals are super clear, speed is all there, absolute heaps of power but I think it gets every so slightly harsh and "etchy" if you drive it too hard.

I have also seen people talking about this amp in another thread and even on that point you mentioned, my english is not the best developed, I just had a doubt, with ''drive it too hard'' causing ''etchyness'' you mean, if you increase the volume a lot does this happen? is this about it? and if it is at moderate volume and with the highs a little lowered by the EQ?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I sort of changed speakers. I would say this is similar to the old Yamaha effect where their equipment has a reputation for being a bit bright.

Its not super terrible, you get slightly used to it but it does not have that amp 'warmth' that say, Marantz is famous for.

I like to listen flat.

Marcos Mazur

SMSL A300 (£150/$175)

These are my impressions of the new SMSL A300 integrated amp.

I tested it with my SMSL SU9N DAC playing Spotify from my TV through TOSLink. I used a pair of Quad S2 (87dB at 8ohm impedance nominal) speakers as they are very revealing and fairly neutral from 200Hz upwards.

I ordered the unit straight from SHENZENAUDIO, it was discounted 10% because of the “late summer sale”, and it arrived (UK) without any glitches in 7 days.

I have been paying attention to this segment of the amplifier market as I was looking to switch from my Rega Brio-R class AB amp(£450 amp), to a Class D amp with more power ( 50W compared to A300 claimed 85W into 8 Ohm). I just wasn’t that impressed with the PA5 and DA9 but when A300 appeared at $175 equivalent, I was compelled to buy.

Overall, I am quite happy with this move (sold the Brio) and I will explain in more detail why. I would give the A300 a solid 8.5/10 score).

BUILD QUALITY

The amp feels solid , weighs about 1Kg, looks well designed, I like the in line speaker binding posts as it allows more easy connection, as opposed to the array (2x2) posts, which can be tricky to deal with because of lack of space- especially in this small form factor. I was a bit confused when I connected the RCA cables on the back as Line input 2 is the first one on the left of the back of the amp and then Line1 comes. So when I switched it on I heard nothing and for a moment thought I got a faulty amp (haha). Anyway I figured that I had connected to Line2 and it started playing. The menu is easy to navigate and I really like the fact that one can dim the display for late night dark listening.

HOW IT SOUNDS?

I tested the amp with Direct mode (E0) and Tone (E1) and SDB (E2). I didn't test the BT functionality or the SW out.

In Direct, it sounds really flat over 20HZ to 20Khz, i didn’t detect any kind of coloration to the sound, and with my flat sounding speakers, I would say too much of a neutral sound. I wouldn’t call it boring sounding but nothing stands out and that may seem boring to some. I didn’t detect any harshness in the upper registers, just neutrality ( and believe me if that was the case the Quads would have pointed that out to me). Compared to the Brio, I would say it is more neutral sounding and it extends a bit further in the upper and lower frequencies.

BASS (Direct) – one of my reasons for going Class D and going for more power was related to bass control provided that the amp is well built. Oh boy, there is plenty of bass control. Bass is tight, articulate, well controlled, especially when I crank up the volume to >80db. The amp doesn’t lose composure ( I cant say the same about the Brio), A300 grabs those woofers and makes them sing.

MIDS (Direct)- very neutral sounding , nothing stands out, voices are played well, natural sounding. Timbre sounds correct for most instruments, and there is no harshness detected at 2K-4K. IT is not mid centric as the Brio was, but I guess that’s what British sounds is all about right?

TREBLE (Direct)- this is quite funny and surprising, as many Class A/Class AB buffs have described in the past Class D as harsh, shimmery etc… This amp is the opposite of that , it is smooth ( too smooth for my ear) in Direct mode. There is detail, Cymbals and other instruments sound correct but with a bit of a veil on top, which can bother some, but hey we have DSP and tone controls.

SO to sum up, this amp is neutral, natural sounding, quite smooth and may fit many speakers. 9/10.

Now, the fun part, the DSP. SMSL promote their SDB patented DSP as the next best thing. To be honest, I like it quite a lot at low listening levels (<65dB). Think of it as a good ol’ LOUDNESS button on the old receivers. It does exactly the same thing.

What I preferred actually is E1 – TONE setting- for normal listening 65-75dB. I bumped up the BASS to +2 and Treble to +2 and the whole combo sounds amazing. To be honest I cannot believe that £150 Class D can bring this much to the table.

SOUNDSTAGE/IMAGING- quite wide left to right soundstage, instrument separation is excellent ( better than my old Brio-R), there is width and depth to the sound (the amp doesn’t play a role in this anyway). Very happy.

I have to mention the POWER, the amp is powerful, definitely more powerful than my old Brio, I t can play really LOUD without losing composure, without any harshness, and that is what I mainly wanted in this purchase. It gets a bit warm but nothing to worry about. Very happy.

DOWNSIDES

I have a few comments related to the build and functioning of the amp too.

• The remote- while very nice to have – I use the amp in far field ( I sit about 2.5 m away from it) and sometimes IF I don’t AIM within a cone of 30-40 deg from the receiver diode – it is hit and miss. I wish they improved that.
  • The menus- sometimes they glitch ( some other characters appear on display)- not too bothersome but had to mention- 99% time it works perfectly fine- I guess they focused mostly on sound performance and didn’t put too much into the user experience budget.
  • The background noise- So I noticed as I connected my speakers that a high frequency HISS sound does come out of them when no music is playing- I can hear it at <20cm from the speaker. It doesn’t increase with Volume so at normal listening levels it is un perceptible. One thing I noticed is that if I mute the amp the noise disappears. Maybe this is just my unit ( although I doubt that) but yes, there is a background noise that may bother some of you.
This was it, my subjective review, and I hope someone gets to measure this amp soon and we can all see how well it stacks vs other high value Class D amps. Absolute steal of an amp for the money! If you asked me whether it beats the Brio-R- i would say yes by a small margin, and remember the Brios have been the best thing Class AB has to provide in terms of pure sound for under £600-$700 according to various HIFI magazines and websites.

Thank you very much for the review, these were some reviews that made me think and rethink this amp and finally buy one, my review, so to speak, I will do next.

Marcos Mazur

My A300 arrived today and I'm still testing it right now, still processing in my mind if this is really what I'm hearing, because I was really surprised, the quality is much better than I expected, of course I'm still at the entry level , but this one doesn't look much like the Class D ones I've used before, this one actually sounds quieter and really neutral, it's also soft and less edgy in the mids and highs, by the way, I didn't notice any harshness, it really is as described in this review and others reporting something similar from my experience, the bass is very well pronounced and defined, not weak, all frequencies well balanced, there is a certain body and palpable soundstage, the instruments sound realistic and close, without forcing in any way, cool mids and highs and neutral, without sounding boring, it has a certain liveliness and clarity, but doesn't harm the ears, of course for long periods it can be a little tiring depending on the album or song in question, if there's a lot to cymbals, synth, violin, especially at high volumes, it's a cheap amp and we can't have every possible quality at this price, but I was positively surprised that something like this was affordable, I listened straight to it for 3 hours and didn't feel any fatigue. If the amp is on and nothing plays, it's very quiet, just a soft hissing if your ear is almost touching the tweeter, my experience with this A300 was the most musical I've had so far on a desktop, for those who are very sensitive to distortion/resonances/uncontrolled highs or highs in general, it is a highly recommended amplifier to start with, because up to a certain point the refinement presented in the frequencies and effectively attenuates roughness and biteness, leaving a little more rounded, of course for those who don't like it class d and want a warmer and fuller sound (and not neutral), you may find it a bit ''thin'' IN COMPARISON, although this can be modified with a dac in that sound signature, with tone controls or boxes with more closed and relaxed tonality , who has a higher requirement will not be satisfied and I understand that perfectly, loud and bright speakers can also sound saturated and displeasing, this is an amp to be used with louderspeakers more ''warm'' or at least ''warm-neutral'', avoid brighter options. ;)

Listening for long periods I don't even feel any significant discomfort, listening to Mozart, Yanni or Iron Maiden, Mayhem, Kreator, Van Halen and so on, even I was impressed listening to 1349's first album, Liberation (really good noise and raw black metal), this one sounded a little musical and more ''musical'', flowing in a natural way. Occasionally a slight discomfort I feel due to the fact that I have sensitive ears and not very mids and highs friendly, but very acceptable and could just be my ear a little irritated from listening to low quality sound for years OR it' due the Pioneer's unrefined highs, I speak for myself and I can see that I really am listening for hours on the Pioneer SB22-LR with the Topping E30 (filter 4), with the tone and EQ selections all at 0, nothing is exaggerated in the frequencies, as I said earlier, who is more sensitive and wants to make the sound more ''warm'' by lowering higher frequencies and boosting bass, EQ works well in this case, both with the APO Equalizer and the amp's own tone controls, I still don't know which sounds better, but using both I found them to be very audible and does not compromise the transparent musicality reproduced by the amp, I usually use EQ when near-field and without EQ at a certain distance, since Pioneer are not for that purpose and still have resonances that saturate the highs a little, even so this amp managed to going well, I imagine now when I change it for a more refined speaker.:)
(In any case, the Schit Loki preamp seems to be a good option if you want to avoid these EQ options)

I have a good ear reference to post this review here, as I have already tested several cheap amps with screaming sound, full of edges and out of control (some of these are even considered more musical for some, but not at all for me, I'm one of the most problematic guys in choosing amp ou dac and this time I got it right), very frustrating, this is not the case with this SMSL, for me the simple fact of not hearing a sound with aggressive ''quality'' would be fine, but this amp delivered that and so much more, and I'm even inspired to continue with a better DAC or bookshelf speaker in the future.

Marcos Mazur

Compared to the Allo Volt + D (24v) (with Topping E30 - powered with Allo Shanti - and Pioneer SB22-LR), the A300 sounds calmer and more neutral really in all aspects, I would say more musical in the sense that it flows better without 'effort'', but I'm suspicious of talking about this point because I tend to to prefer softer sound, the Volt+D has even firmer bass and a very involving sound, at least for my ears, I don't know how to explain it exactly, but I can feel the vibe of each sound better with this amp for some time is fine, (a little bit too much sharpened), BUT on the other hand this has a price, this is due to an analytical sound, dry and at the same time wide, I felt it as slightly artificial and tending towards the bright, over time I noticed this, it is also not the type of amp that reproduces a sound that you can leave playing in the background and forget about it, like the A300, the Volt+D draws attention to itself and for me this is not cool and ended up becoming annoying, finally problems with frequent buzzzing noise and hum, which disappeared and returned from time to time, forced me to abandon this amp.

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i have used my a300 on a variety of speakers mainly US and UK and its always been positive

the amp is pretty damn neutral besides that obvious digital "sound"... i do prefer the marantz to parasound 'warm' but its close enough

i mean is it worth $200? of course it is. its worth double or more... but then you're banging on the back door of the Sabaj A30 which is a complementary unit but with more features, My Parasound was 10x the price and I dont think its 10x the amp.

I personally have not experienced any of the treble sizzle that some people have complained about but I do not really own any really 'bright sizzly' speakers except for maybe the infamous R162s and to me, it worked fine with that.

I have played with only the normal bass and 'super deep bass' options and they are pretty inoffensive. There's not much to report on this one. Its well worth getting this over an A07 and forgeting about PSU rolling and that stuff.

gjozwiak

Dzięki za recenzję! Czy ten wzmacniacz można włączyć w inny sposób niż naciśnięcie przycisku „on”? Np. czy włączy się po podłączeniu do sieci, aby można było zastosować „inteligentną” listwę zasilającą? (Nie widzę wejścia „wyzwalacza” z tyłu).
No not working

dudewithcans

i had the a300 for testing.
my main is a NAD c325bee.
it sounds good. not like "objectively" better or "cleaner" than the NAD (which some reviewer, or more likely influencer, claimed in a youtube video), but good enough.
case is finished well, the dial is nice, buttons feel ok, i see no problem with the blue LCD as others do.

well, i send it back.

the a300 i had, had a WAY TO HIGH noise floor, i could actually hear the device 4m (!) away from my speakers all in my (otherwise silent) room, without any source connected... not from the tweeter, the hiss was noticably higher than my NAD, but still acceptable.
but from the midrange driver.

for the record, my speakers are Phonar and rated 92dB/m/W and DEAD SILENT with my NAD.
same wallplug used for the test.

im not going to bother testing a replacement unit, i think FOR ME its just not worth it anyway, as i see no real upgrade soundwise to my old amp.
i was just thinking of getting something smaller and more recent and check out a classD, but i believe i need to invest alot more in a unit with a hypex module.
maybe. =)

greets to all.

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor
i had the a300 for testing.
my main is a NAD c325bee.
it sounds good. not like "objectively" better or "cleaner" than the NAD (which some reviewer, or more likely influencer, claimed in a youtube video), but good enough.
case is finished well, the dial is nice, buttons feel ok, i see no problem with the blue LCD as others do.

well, i send it back.

the a300 i had, had a WAY TO HIGH noise floor, i could actually hear the device 4m (!) away from my speakers all in my (otherwise silent) room, without any source connected... not from the tweeter, the hiss was noticably higher than my NAD, but still acceptable.
but from the midrange driver.

for the record, my speakers are Phonar and rated 92dB/m/W and DEAD SILENT with my NAD.
same wallplug used for the test.

im not going to bother testing a replacement unit, i think FOR ME its just not worth it anyway, as i see no real upgrade soundwise to my old amp.
i was just thinking of getting something smaller and more recent and check out a classD, but i believe i need to invest alot more in a unit with a hypex module.
maybe. =)

greets to all.
The default noise from the amp is quite high indeed. Hope you tried to dim the screen to the lowest setting, that makes it much cleaner.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I'd probably say my default assessment of this unit was lenient given my use case.

I do agree the noise floor above say '60' on the dial in unacceptable.

Used as an integrated amp as designed is probably not good... I knew this going in given it has a pretty useless (IMO) jog shuttle dial and the digital stage wasnt worth using.

I have always used this with a dac preamp or analog preamp onto of either of the two inputs and have always run it at 25-45... very low admittedly and used my superior noise floor 19" full sized preamps to 'increase gain'.

And in that case I never truly stressed the design of the unit. I used the power of course but in my case, the A300 was always shown in its best light.

I have probably an earlier model. I always run lowest dim settings.

This design clearly has at least two flaws that may or may not be alleviated in new units so I can only say that this is a cautious buy.

Also smsl dont seem to have an urgency in communicating about fixing these flaws but about what I expect from a $200 unit that may not even last out the year given the rapid rate of models coming and going,

Top Bottom