• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL A100 Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 34 18.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 102 54.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters
Oddly the USB input is type A. At first I thought this was for external storage but manual talks about using this with a computer. I didn't have a type A to type A cable so didn't test this and stuck with Aux analog input.

The heart of the unit is Infineon MA12070 class D amplifier.
The USB slot works fine with external storage, having used it with a 64gb pendrive with FLAC files does a pretty good job( not sure if there's a bottle neck here while using FLAC).Have used an external hard drive without any hiccups and it sounds ok. However it sounds best using Aux.
Will be upgrading the caps in the near future under guidance of FM @dr_mick51 who was more than kind to spare time from his busy schedule & helped me with directions to mod along with part numbers & pics.( Mod delayed due to scarcity of Nichicon UCQ & UUQ parts). I thoroughly enjoy this tiny amp more than the Rotel & Technics amps that i have & think it's great VFM & m sure the mods will enhance its capacity further. The best part is that it stays cool even after using it continuously for 5-6 hrs at 70% volume.

cowdog360

No problem. I'm glad to help. If you have further questions don't hesitate to contact me. I can show you what I did. I think I posted some pictures before. You need to remove the bulk capacitor before being able(have room) to install the 6 SMD coupling capacitors. And the best way to remove those old SMD capacitors is by twisting/rotate them with some pliers and they just pop. There are many youtube videos showing how to.
I have to step in here.. the best and proper way to remove SMD capacitors is with a hot air station or hot tweezers. While sometimes the "twist and pull" method works, you're putting a lot of stress on the pads, and in many cases it'll rip the pad right off the PCB.

I have to step in here.. the best and proper way to remove SMD capacitors is with a hot air station or hot tweezers. While sometimes the "twist and pull" method works, you're putting a lot of stress on the pads, and in many cases it'll rip the pad right off the PCB.
Thanks for the input. Actually we haven't done the mods yet due to scarcity of audio grade caps from Nichicon here, and what i think Dr.Mick was referring to here was being extremely gentle while twisting and pulling the caps obviously and i have tried it with a lot of success ( no damage to any part), however it's always better like you said with a hot air station.

staticV3

Master Contributor
43W (4Ohm) 18W(8Ohm)
Is it able to drive 5-inch bookshelf speakers?
Depends on the speakers' sensitivity and impedance, your listening distance, desired SPL, and crest factor of your tracks.

king0188

Depends on the speakers' sensitivity and impedance, your listening distance, desired SPL, and crest factor of your tracks.
Professional answer!:D:D
Unfortunately, my speakers are very old(25+ years old). I can't find its sensitivity, impedance maybe 6Ohm, listening distance is 1-2m in a 15m2 room.
The speakers was part of Philips FW46 CD Mini System. The amplifier part of the system didn't work long time ago. Now I use NAD C328 to drive them;) They sounds not bad.

I just find this from Philips website:
Philips FW46

LOUDSPEAKER BOX
Dimensions (wxhxd) : 180x309.5x222.5 mm
Speakers : 5�" woofer
2�" tweeter
Piezo tweeter
System : 3 Way bass reflex
AUDIO/SOUND
Output power : 2x32W RMS, 6 ohm, 10% THD

I'm not sure SMSL A100 can drive them or not . If it can, I'd like to buy A100 to replace my C328

Top Bottom