• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL A100 Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 34 18.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 102 54.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters

hzwjh

A100 有错误。我有一台安装了 Daphile 的电脑,pc usb 到 a100 usb,cd rca OUT 到 100 aux。当我将a100从usb切换到aux时,电脑将关闭,无法工作

A100 has bug. I have a pc installed Daphile , pc usb to a100 usb ,and cd rca OUT to a 100 aux. when I switch a100 from usb to aux ,the pc will down,cannot work

Last edited:

nsfgp

Anyone knows if the SMSL DA-6 uses MA12070 or something different??

Text desc. "SMSL has featured a German imported Infineon’s newly-designed silicone carbide class D power amplifier chip".
It is definitely not the MA5332 series. But most if not all current products using MA12070 on the market specifies MA12070 and does not hide it in the product text.
Just curious.

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I hope someone sends Amir the newer AO100 amp. I'm quite enjoying mine. Nice little amp, I ordered it to get the integrated BT down in my dining room. I think it might measure a bit better than the A100.

dr_mick51

I hope someone sends Amir the newer AO100 amp. I'm quite enjoying mine. Nice little amp, I ordered it to get the integrated BT down in my dining room. I think it might measure a bit better than the A100.
From the pictures I've seen it looks identical to the SMSL DA-6 except the internal Power Supply and tone controls opamps (2xTL072c).
The main opamp on both is the NE5532

smsl-ao100-amplificateur-class-d-infineon-ma12070-bluetooth-50-2x70w-4-ohm (4).jpg
smsl-da-6-class-d-amplifier-infineon-2x70w-4-ohm-black.jpg

But the A100 uses the OPA1678

IMG_20220322_081538.jpg

If you compare the Multi-Tone test and "omit" frequencies beyond 10KHz for the A100 and the DA-6 you can see the A100 has a much lower noise floor and a cleaner FFT. The DA-6 is no match to the A100:

A100 vs DA-6.png

Even thou if we include all the audible range, the A100 has a 76dB (average) SINAD compared to 81dB on the DA-6(using even 3dB less Gain/higher input signal voltage) I don't know but prefer the A100 (32 Multi-Tone test beats the 1KHz THD+N test).
index.php

index.php

Last edited:

adhoc@ASR

Could anyone advise speakers with what parameters would be more suitable for the A100?
Thanks in advance!

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Could anyone advise speakers with what parameters would be more suitable for the A100?
Thanks in advance!
Would generally advise for you to look for higher efficiency speakers (87 db or better) and ones with power rating between 10 - 100 wpc. I am using the SMSL AO100 amp, which has just a little more power, with some older KEF Q 15.2 speakers - they pair nicely. A wide variety of smaller bookshelf speakers would work. Just avoid ones where comments would indicate that they "really open up with more power" as the A100 can't provide that...

Amir, you might believe I'm biased, but this amp really sounds better than the Aiyima A04/A07 I own.
If you compare this amp to the Loxjie( which includes the four tiny SMD output chokes and makes measuring easier because there is nothing that's needs to be added) and remove all the high frequency distortion you end up with more than 90db THD, which is higher than the Loxjie.
Why SMSL does not include the choke inductors? Worldwide shortage of SMD choke? Cutting corners? I don't really know. But the lack of those chokes does not affect the listening experience because of what I already mentioned, the inductance of the speaker coil is generally greater than 22uH and are used as part of the filter. But if you add those chokes in the test the measurements are completely different.
Also, the A100 uses one OPA1678 as preamp which is better than other similarly priced Merus amps use.
@amirm , I'm afraid you don't have those chokes around, do you? It would be nice and fair to see the results with those chokes. It would pretty much measure the same or better than the Loxjie A30.
Completely agree with you that A100 is surely better than the Aiyima A07....Infact i was on the verge of selling this amp after letting it sit in storage after buying it ( had only used it for 45 minutes after it got delivered to check if all was fine). But thank God for having come across your post before i sold it..i would have surely missed such a VFM amp even without testing it's prowess.
I am mighty thrilled with the SQ , really detailed with crisp highs , great mids and an even greater low end. The sound has this kind of Heft that was missing in the A07. Thanks entirely to you for opening my eyes & not to trust reviews blindly .
Im using the amp paired with JBL A130 BS speakers & it's a match made in heaven.The amp drives the A130 with ease & makes it shine. However I'm very curious to use this amp with a pair of Mission QX2 MK2 BS speakers and to experience the resulting soundstage .
Cheers.

Amir, have you considered the possibility that the absence of chokes/inductors at the output filter is affecting the performance of this amp specially when using the RCA inputs? It could be much better, I know that the USB and BT inputs are crap, i don't care about them..

Maybe SMSL realized this and that's why the amp was out of stock shortly after launch. Maybe they will be adding those choke and voila!.
Dear Sir, Need your guidance with regards to the addition of chokes on this amp. Even without these chokes I'm really enjoying the SQ ,using the amp to power a pair of JBL STAGE A130 speakers.
Do you think it would be better if i add these chokes / inductors before the output stage & if it would improve the overall performance ?
If yes, then can you kindly guide me with the exact specifications of the choke/ inductor that i need to purchase for this. Also can I solder these myself or would I need an expert to do this for me.
Eagerly await your inputs.Thanks in advance.

dr_mick51

Dear Sir, Need your guidance with regards to the addition of chokes on this amp. Even without these chokes I'm really enjoying the SQ ,using the amp to power a pair of JBL STAGE A130 speakers.
Do you think it would be better if i add these chokes / inductors before the output stage & if it would improve the overall performance ?
If yes, then can you kindly guide me with the exact specifications of the choke/ inductor that i need to purchase for this. Also can I solder these myself or would I need an expert to do this for me.
Eagerly await your inputs.Thanks in advance.
Hi, thanks for your kind words. First of all, if your speakers are not biamped, you can connect them directly to the A100. The speaker woofer coil has enough inductance (80uH or more) which make unnecessary the addition of extra chokes. But if you are like me and like to modify and change your audio equipment, just in case you would like to bi-amp the tweeters using this amp then those chokes(internally or externally) are necessary to avoid high frequency noise and distortion(I believe someone here is this thread already experienced this problem and it was fixed by adding these 4 chokes).
Adding 20uH chokes only affect frequencies way out of the audible range, and with your JBL A130 you don't need to worry.
I don't know how experienced you are with a soldering iron but a good mods for this amplifier is to increase the single supply capacitor (1000uF for a bigger 3000uF Nichicon UVY 35V), and replacing all 6 coupling capacitors (2 at the RCA input and 4 after the opamp) for a better 10uF 16v Nichicon UCQ series capacitors (same size as the originals 4mmDx4.6mmH).

Hi, thanks for your kind words. First of all, if your speakers are not biamped, you can connect them directly to the A100. The speaker woofer coil has enough inductance (80uH or more) which make unnecessary the addition of extra chokes. But if you are like me and like to modify and change your audio equipment, just in case you would like to bi-amp the tweeters using this amp then those chokes(internally or externally) are necessary to avoid high frequency noise and distortion(I believe someone here is this thread already experienced this problem and it was fixed by adding these 4 chokes).
Adding 20uH chokes only affect frequencies way out of the audible range, and with your JBL A130 you don't need to worry.
I don't know how experienced you are with a soldering iron but a good mods for this amplifier is to increase the single supply capacitor (1000uF for a bigger 3000uF Nichicon UVY 35V), and replacing all 6 coupling capacitors (2 at the RCA input and 4 after the opamp) for a better 10uF 16v Nichicon UCQ series capacitors (same size as the originals 4mmDx4.6mmH).
Thanks a ton for all the inputs. I am not very keen on Bi amping as my speakers don't support them.So adding the chokes is out of question here just like u suggested. Next I'm going to surely start searching for the Nichicon caps in India and have them changed by a capable tech guy. You have no idea as to how thrilled i am to have your guidance in this regard as i am not familiar with electronics and it's depth unlike you.I am indeed grateful to you for showing me the path and helping me enhance my gear to the next level. Will update once I have made the mods & I'm pretty sure that it will be amazing once completed.
Have a brilliant day ahead and Cheers to your kind and helpful nature / spirit of brotherhood.

dr_mick51

Thanks a ton for all the inputs. I am not very keen on Bi amping as my speakers don't support them.So adding the chokes is out of question here just like u suggested. Next I'm going to surely start searching for the Nichicon caps in India and have them changed by a capable tech guy. You have no idea as to how thrilled i am to have your guidance in this regard as i am not familiar with electronics and it's depth unlike you.I am indeed grateful to you for showing me the path and helping me enhance my gear to the next level. Will update once I have made the mods & I'm pretty sure that it will be amazing once completed.
Have a brilliant day ahead and Cheers to your kind and helpful nature / spirit of brotherhood.
No problem. I'm glad to help. If you have further questions don't hesitate to contact me. I can show you what I did. I think I posted some pictures before. You need to remove the bulk capacitor before being able(have room) to install the 6 SMD coupling capacitors. And the best way to remove those old SMD capacitors is by twisting/rotate them with some pliers and they just pop. There are many youtube videos showing how to.

No problem. I'm glad to help. If you have further questions don't hesitate to contact me. I can show you what I did. I think I posted some pictures before. You need to remove the bulk capacitor before being able(have room) to install the 6 SMD coupling capacitors. And the best way to remove those old SMD capacitors is by twisting/rotate them with some pliers and they just pop. There are many youtube videos showing how to.
Brilliant way of explaining things....You make it so easy to follow the right steps. Will surely take your help incase i reach a roadblock. First will source the Nichicon caps as they're a Lil hard to find here in India, but il try my best. Will also look into the videos you suggested. Have a great day ahead Brother.Cheers.

Really sorry to bother you Sir. I tried searching YT for videos on mods for the A100 but couldn't find even one, also tried searching for pics that show the parts (exact ones) that need to be replaced with the better Nichicons and couldn't find any.
Do you have any specific pics or videos that i could look at before opening up the amp ? I will be asking a known friend who does SMD work on mobiles to help me with the mods since I'm not very good at soldering and may damage something meanwhile.
If I'm unable to find Nichicons in India, what's the next best company that you suggest.( Im clueless about companies that are as good as nichicon ,so your help would be invaluable here).
Thanks again for everything.

Is this the correct one that you were referring to ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230206-215423.png
    Screenshot_20230206-215423.png
    194.2 KB · Views: 107
Morning Dr.Mick, kindly suggest another brand that's as good as Nichicon , coz incase i dont find the same one ,atleast i can buy a similar one from another brand ( company).You have a great day ahead.
Luckily found the other one too( 6 coupling caps). Wanted to check with you of this was the right one before i make the purchase.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230207-204744.png
    Screenshot_20230207-204744.png
    204.9 KB · Views: 61
I sent you a message.
Even though these are not the UUQ or UCQ series(the best ones for audio), they would probably be better than the stock ones.
All i would like to say is ....YOU ARE UNBELIEVABLY GIVING and so supportive. I am touched by your kind gestures. Thanks so much for being YOU." This world would be a better place to live in.....If there were many more like you "

Top Bottom