• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMPS for Audio Applications

MicroAudio

Audio Company
Hello

I am starting this thread into this nice place with many nice people to discuss my SMPS products.

There are 7 models coming up 3 of them will remain parked and will be released on time only.

I had to work so hard to bring up those SMPS to reality after countless hours of design and development over the years.

SMPS650-GDT is targetting Class-AB amplifiers, with ultra-low noise and ultra-low EMI.

Other models are targetting the CLASS-D amplifiers, chip amplifies, also AB amplifiers.

All models have the below as a standard feature (Except SMPS650-GDT)

•Selectable input voltage range (110 VAC / 240 VAC).
•Multiple output voltage range (+-40 VDC ~ +-95 VDC). Single or dual. NOTE-1
•Standby switch input eliminates the need for mechanical switches.
•Onboard standby power supply with two outputs (+12VDC & +3.3VDC).
•Amplifier enable output (OPTO Isolated).
•DC Error input.
•Regulated AUX output +-5 VDC ~ +-18 VDC.
•IDC connector can select regulated or unregulated AUX voltage via jumpers.
•Bootstrap VDR supply output +12VDC ~ +18VDC (Completely isolated output) should be tied to –HV in class-d amplifier applications.
•AC-Line loss detection

SMPS650-GDT
•Selectable input voltage range (110 VAC / 240 VAC).
•Multiple output voltage range (+-40 VDC ~ +-95 VDC). Single or dual. NOTE-1
•Standby switch input eliminates the need for mechanical switches.
•Onboard standby power supply with two outputs (+12VDC).
•DC Error input.
•Regulated AUX output +-5 VDC ~ +-18 VDC.
•Bootstrap VDR supply output +12VDC ~ +18VDC (Completely isolated output) should be tied to –HV in class-d amplifier applications.
•AC-Line loss detection

I am planning on running a group buy later for the (SMPS630-G) and after some time, maybe 4 weeks.
The price will be based on the interest and the number of units sold, there will be a time frame to deliver all the units not less than 60 ~ 90 days if that group buys started. maybe less.

What you will get is a rugged SMPS covered with 18 months warranty at a low price that may never come back again.

I am attaching a picture for the SMPS630-G, as other models cannot be shown at this time.

The SMPS630-G is a perfect fit with the Purifi amplifiers and many other amplifiers.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200624_140844.jpg
    20200624_140844.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 2,041

Dave H

Would +- 36 volts be possible? I would be interested in trying your power supply in my
Neurochrome Audio Modulus 686 amplifier.

OP
MicroAudio

MicroAudio

Audio Company
Hi Dave,

Sadly, that voltage is not in stock but It will arrive with the new order later.

I have the SMPS-300 witch is a regulated SMPS +-36V, but I had to postpone it because I didn't like how it performs.

Thanks

Zoomer

Bamboszek

I guess "SMPS650" model means 650W power supply, suitable for e.g. for stereo 2x 300W power amplifier.
But how long this SMPS can withstand rated power before thermal runaway? Or maybe rather peak power is quoted?
With mentioning only class D and class AB amplifiers I see some suggestion on that matter.

OP
MicroAudio

MicroAudio

Audio Company
@ Zoomer
The website is not yet ready for now, it will take some time to become active and to see all products.

@ Bamboszek
Yes, SMPS630-XX is a 600W SMPS, capable of delivering its full power for the long term as long as proper cooling is provided.

Peak power is set by the overcurrent trip point witch is usually 12A and can go up to 18A based on the selected voltage.

The thermal runway will not occure for at least 8 minutes drawing 600W (Lab test "NTC shorted" + Transformer cooling only")

The mentioning for class-D & AB amplifiers were just for reference only, the SMPS will work with any amplifier.

@ CountArthur
Attached is the datasheet, not fully completed yet

Attachments

• SMPS630-G_17062020.pdf
    700.3 KB · Views: 1,058

Bamboszek

That's nice surprise being honest.
Product looks interesting, good luck with sales!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Kudos for offering repair on the SMPS supplies, but I'm confused- do you replace a faulty one and then repair the dead one later?

1593559944227.png

OP
MicroAudio

MicroAudio

Audio Company
Kudos for offering repair on the SMPS supplies, but I'm confused- do you replace a faulty one and then repair the dead one later?

View attachment 71439

Based on the size of the damage, either you can fix it or you get a new one for free, you pay shipping and keep the old one.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 15250

Would be cool to see a comparison vs the hypex smps that everyone is using with the purifi amp module.. for instance does yours get as hot? I guess effect on audio quality is more important though. does it have the same screw pattern so it can be used in the same pre-drilled cases?

OP
MicroAudio

MicroAudio

Audio Company
Would be cool to see a comparison vs the hypex smps that everyone is using with the purifi amp module.. for instance does yours get as hot? I guess effect on audio quality is more important though. does it have the same screw pattern so it can be used in the same pre-drilled cases?

SMPS630-G or the other models will have around 40C ~55C heat in the transformer core when idle. depends on the ambient temperature.
A fan can be installed (Silent one I use) to have a much cooler transformer in idle.
Again, the core is the part that heats and it is not a problem at all, also the transformer in the new SMPS series has enough space around it and better ventilation.
The heatsink itself will not heat in idle.

The final product will have a nice L-Shape heatsink pre-drilled (not the same pattern as the HYPEX) but the same idea.

Until today, I don't have any feedback yet if there is a difference in the sound quality between my SMPS and HYPEX SMPS.
But reports will arrive later.

Hope that helps

maty

Major Contributor

Luc

For whom is worrying about temperature, here is my measurement after 3.5 hours at mid-volume, sensor just over the transformer.
By hand, warmish air is barely sensible
Honeyview_Honeyview_Temp.jpg

Top Bottom