• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMPS for Audio Applications

arvidb

Your PSU:s look nice. I want to applaud your efforts in providing them to the DIY:er!

One thing I'm missing from your product manuals is a mechanical diagram showing the physical size and mounting screw positions of the PSU.

Also, almost all contact info is missing on your web store: address, phone number, company registration number (tax ID or similar). Lack of these things doesn't make a good impression IMO.

SMPS has CE marking only, no UL no VDE.
I don't have any [EMI] plot yet, to be honest, but it is low to the level it's not disturbing any sensitive device around it.
I don't understand this: to CE mark your product you need to issue a declaration of conformity and that declaration needs to be backed by technical files documenting your measurements. Did you just fraudulently add a CE mark without any supporting documentation? (I hope I'm just misunderstanding what you wrote.)

(From https://www.compliancegate.com/ce-certificate-of-conformity/)

Roland68

Major Contributor
I don't understand this: to CE mark your product you need to issue a declaration of conformity and that declaration needs to be backed by technical files documenting your measurements. Did you just fraudulently add a CE mark without any supporting documentation? (I hope I'm just misunderstanding what you wrote.)
Where exactly do you see a violation?
He posted the declaration of conformity here and also covers the relevant directives. It must of course accompany the products upon delivery.
The manufacturer only has to make the technical documents and the conformity assessment available in the event of an inspection or the inspection committee.
I didn't even look at the YouTube video because what is said in it is completely irrelevant. What is relevant is in the EU directives, everything else is irrelevant.

OP
MicroAudio

MicroAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Your PSU:s look nice. I want to applaud your efforts in providing them to the DIY:er!

One thing I'm missing from your product manuals is a mechanical diagram showing the physical size and mounting screw positions of the PSU.

Also, almost all contact info is missing on your web store: address, phone number, company registration number (tax ID or similar). Lack of these things doesn't make a good impression IMO.

(From https://www.compliancegate.com/ce-certificate-of-conformity/)

I also appreciate your efforts.

But I also don't understand how did you figure out that there are no technical files for my products? at least the main ones?

I checked that myself again because I am sure that I missed uploading the manuals for other items like the extra capacitors PCBs etc..

I am also too busy to fill out the phone number, company registration, etc..

If the contact information is too critical for you to make up your mind on a purchase, then don't expect them to be on my store any soon. I am sorry for that.

I am super busy by now, and really don't have time to do anything.

For the CE certification, why don't you go and ask other manufacturers at this forum who sells amplifiers? if they have real CE certification for their products?

Why don't you ask Connexelectronics?

Once you get an answer from them I will answer your question about CE.

But please do not try to disturb my thread because I know that people like you show up from time to time to discuss the same issue once they find nothing to discuss.

I don't add fraudulent CE logos on my products as you claim, and please again do not disturb my thread.

Thank you

Sam

Attachments

• Downloads.png
    Downloads.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 99
OP
MicroAudio

MicroAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Did you check the manual for the SMPS1K-PFCR2 before you claim anything?

Did you check page 2 in that manual?

Or you simply came here straight for something else?

Attachments

• Compliance.pdf
    373.7 KB · Views: 107

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you have an SMPS to fit the necessary inputs of the new Hypex nilai500 module?

arvidb

Where exactly do you see a violation?
He posted the declaration of conformity here and also covers the relevant directives. It must of course accompany the products upon delivery.
The manufacturer only has to make the technical documents and the conformity assessment available in the event of an inspection or the inspection committee.
I didn't even look at the YouTube video because what is said in it is completely irrelevant. What is relevant is in the EU directives, everything else is irrelevant.

Actually, as a manufacturer outside the EU, he doesn't have to supply any documentation at all. Anyone who imports his PSU:s into the EU however (even for personal use) is legally responsible for them conforming to the EU directives. So if someone, say, were to be zapped by my DIY build containing his PSU, I really need to be able to show a (proper, signed, backed by technical files!) declaration of conformity and the supporting documentation. So in this regard it is imperative that he makes the documentation available to the buyer. The authorities will ask me for them, not him.

Moreover, by putting the CE mark on his PSU:s he promises to the customer that they live up to certain standards for safety, emissions etc. I expect him to base these promises on more than just hope. I mean, he's literally writing that he doesn't have any EMI measurements at all! For a SMPS! Quote:

"- you say low EMI. How much lower than FCC class B or CISPR are these for conducted emissions and also for radiated emissions using a synthetic load? Do you have readily available plots?

I don't have any plot yet, to be honest, but it is low to the level it's not disturbing any sensitive device around it."

So he's fooling the customer into believing that his PSU:s are conformant, and leaving any legal problems in the customer's lap. At least be honest about them not being CE conformant so the customer understands the risk!

You really should have a look at the video, and/or read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking - see section "Rules underlying CE marking":

"Responsibility for CE marking lies with whoever puts the product on the market in the EU, i.e. an EU-based manufacturer, the importer or distributor of a product made outside the EU, or an EU-based office of a non-EU manufacturer.

The manufacturer of a product affixes the CE marking to it but has to take certain obligatory steps before the product can bear CE marking. The manufacturer must carry out a conformity assessment, set up a technical file, and sign a Declaration stipulated by the leading legislation for the product. The documentation has to be made available to authorities on request.

Importers of products have to verify that the manufacturer outside the EU has undertaken the necessary steps and that the documentation is available upon request. Importers should also make sure that contact with the manufacturer can always be established."

Anyway, he saying he's "too busy to fill out the phone number, company registration, etc.." is really all I need to know about his business. No need for me to waste more time here. I hope that noone is fooled by his woefully inadequate "Compliance.pdf" file! It is completely worthless.

OP
MicroAudio

MicroAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Actually, as a manufacturer outside the EU, he doesn't have to supply any documentation at all. Anyone who imports his PSU:s into the EU however (even for personal use) is legally responsible for them conforming to the EU directives. So if someone, say, were to be zapped by my DIY build containing his PSU, I really need to be able to show a (proper, signed, backed by technical files!) declaration of conformity and the supporting documentation. So in this regard it is imperative that he makes the documentation available to the buyer. The authorities will ask me for them, not him.

Moreover, by putting the CE mark on his PSU:s he promises to the customer that they live up to certain standards for safety, emissions etc. I expect him to base these promises on more than just hope. I mean, he's literally writing that he doesn't have any EMI measurements at all! For a SMPS! Quote:

"- you say low EMI. How much lower than FCC class B or CISPR are these for conducted emissions and also for radiated emissions using a synthetic load? Do you have readily available plots?

I don't have any plot yet, to be honest, but it is low to the level it's not disturbing any sensitive device around it."

So he's fooling the customer into believing that his PSU:s are conformant, and leaving any legal problems in the customer's lap. At least be honest about them not being CE conformant so the customer understands the risk!

You really should have a look at the video, and/or read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking - see section "Rules underlying CE marking":

"Responsibility for CE marking lies with whoever puts the product on the market in the EU, i.e. an EU-based manufacturer, the importer or distributor of a product made outside the EU, or an EU-based office of a non-EU manufacturer.

The manufacturer of a product affixes the CE marking to it but has to take certain obligatory steps before the product can bear CE marking. The manufacturer must carry out a conformity assessment, set up a technical file, and sign a Declaration stipulated by the leading legislation for the product. The documentation has to be made available to authorities on request.

Importers of products have to verify that the manufacturer outside the EU has undertaken the necessary steps and that the documentation is available upon request. Importers should also make sure that contact with the manufacturer can always be established."

Anyway, he saying he's "too busy to fill out the phone number, company registration, etc.." is really all I need to know about his business. No need for me to waste more time here. I hope that noone is fooled by his woefully inadequate "Compliance.pdf" file! It is completely worthless.
Yes, It's better for you not to waste your time here.

Because you are here to disturb my thread.

Is it possible to ask HYPEX to show their EMI measurements? why me?

I still can't see your question to other amplifier manufacturers here about the CE certification.

Our discussion will end here

Meanpeak

I bought the SMPS1K-PFCR2 months ago, and your post made me scared.

I was checking with Microaudio and they sent me the safety certificate and I verified it my self at the testing laboratory web site.

Next time before you make any claim better to verify it, otherwise you will look foolish.

I usually suspect people like you with fresh accounts.

Good luck

arvidb

Verify things was exactly what I tried to do: I said I didn't understand how his statements fit together, and that I hoped I had misunderstood things. Microaudio answered by saying he's too busy and that I should go and ask other manufacturers instead. He could just publish the supporting documents you know. But he hasn't. So I have to assume he was honest when he said he doesn't have them earlier.

What is this safety certificate you mention?

Edit: Also: Don't shoot the messenger. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Meanpeak

What safety certificate?

You were asking about affixing CE logo?

They have the safety certificate that allows them to put the CE logo.

They are not misleading us.

Btw, I am curious now to ask Hypex about EMI.

I Also saw SMPS1K-PFCR2 EMC test report, EN55032.

Please let us not claim anything abou them.

I feel better now

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Did you just fraudulently add a CE mark without any supporting documentation?
Be careful about making such statements, accusing someone of Fraud is serious and needs to be backed up with evidence. Dial back the aggression and behave professionally. Confrontational approaches rarely bear fruit.

arvidb

I want to apologise to MarchAudio MicroAudio and the readers of this thread for using the word "fraudulently" in my post above. That was unnecessarily provocative. Perhaps the discussion would have been more constructive if I had expressed myself nicer.

I came to this thread looking to buy a SMPS for my P3A amp project - not to disturb the thread. So the result is unfortunate for me as well.

Regarding asking Hypex for EMI test results or other data, I don't see the point: they are within the EU and as such they are the ones who will be held responsible legally and financially if they don't get the CE conformity right - i.e. they can be forced to recall products or pay fines if they get it wrong and so they have very good incentive to get it right! Not so with sellers outside the EU. As an importer I would be the one responsible, so I would want to have good data before buying. (I never buy mains powered equipment or wireless equipment e.g. directly from China for this very reason.)

Last edited:
OP
MicroAudio

MicroAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Regarding asking Hypex for EMI test results or other data, I don't see the point: they are within the EU and as such they are the ones who will be held responsible legally and financially if they don't get the CE conformity right - i.e. they can be forced to recall products or pay fines if they get it wrong and so they have very good incentive to get it right! Not so with sellers outside the EU. As an importer I would be the one responsible, so I would want to have good data before buying. (I never buy mains powered equipment or wireless equipment e.g. directly from China for this very reason.)

Besides if they are in Europe or not in Europe.

Ask them to show the EMC EN55032 test report for the SMPS1200 & the SMPS3K at 40% of their rated power.

What's the problem with that?

If you blindly trust Hypex, that's up to you.

EMC and CE are different tests.

Sam

OP
MicroAudio

MicroAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I want to apologise to MarchAudio MicroAudio and the readers of this thread for using the word "fraudulently" in my post above. That was unnecessarily provocative. Perhaps the discussion would have been more constructive if I had expressed myself nicer.

I came to this thread looking to buy a SMPS for my P3A amp project - not to disturb the thread. So the result is unfortunate for me as well.

Enjoy this

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Enjoy this

Yes, and if you see that kind of vapor coming out of electronics, power down completely, turn on the exhaust fan and get out of there. There are many things that can be ingested in the raw form without harm as it will pass through you (Like mercury.) but inhalation of the vapor is a immediate uptake into your system (Like mercury.). That vapor is the electrolyte off gassing and it is very acidic. Not good for your lungs or whatever it would do once in your bloodstream. It is full of nasty chemical and compounds. :D

OP
MicroAudio

MicroAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
June 2023 promotions, valid until 15-JUNE-2023 only.

Collect your COBRA-S1 or COBRA-S2 SMPS each loaded with the below options at a low price!

3 X Sparkos regulators
2 X Mundorf MLGO450-330
4 X Mundor fMLGO80-10000

Price and discount are based on the quantity.

No PayPal fees

No Shipping fees

Thanks!

OP
MicroAudio

MicroAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
A quick test for the SMPS1K-PFCR2 was made to confirm the continuous output power of the SMPS.

This was requested by many customers.

Test conditions

AC input voltage 117VAC
DC output voltage (NO LOAD) 169.3VDC
DC output voltage (LOADED) 162.2VDC
Load in DCA 5.34 ADC
Test duration continues 1 minute (60 Seconds)
Total output power 860W

More test data on request

Attachments

• SMPS_TEST.png
    SMPS_TEST.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 145
Last edited:

grobalt

Impressive and it does not look somehow active cooled :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom