• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMPS for Audio Applications

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Do you have a functional equivalent to the Hypex SMPS1200A700, 2x85Vdc?

If so, what sort of price would it be?

nonose74

Hello, Could you PM for the price and ETA if I order 4 modules that will match the Hpx SMPS1200A700 2*85V ?
Thanks

OP
MicroAudio

MicroAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Another quick order..

Attachments

• Patch.png
    Patch.png
    4 MB · Views: 322
OP
MicroAudio

MicroAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
A quick look at the new SMPS420L-PFC

Regulated SMPS for Chip amplifiers with +-35VDC output voltage, 400W continuous output power with PFC front end, DE ERROR input & +-12VDC AUX.

More updates to come

Attachments

• 20201018_122613.jpg
    20201018_122613.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 260

JayR

Forgive me if I've missed this info already but what is your equivilant of the hypex smps 1200A400? The one that's in general use on the stereo purifi builds! Could you give me pricing please?
Best wishes
Jay

grobalt

Hi Grobalt did you get you power supply set up? Would you be so kind to share your thoughts, opinions?
Cheers
Jay
Will take some weeks, Eval 2 did not arrive yet as well as the cases

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What is your recommended PSU for a single channel 1ET400A amp module - a "monoblock" amp?

And what about for powering 3 such amp modules - a three channel amp?

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For a single channel, I recommend the SMPS630-G, and for 3 channels SMPS1K-PFC will do the job
Thanks. I'd have thought the 1K would be underpowered to let 3 channels of Purifi amp modules reach their maximum outputs. Do you have detailed performance specs available for it?

OP
MicroAudio

MicroAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
3 * Purifi is 400W each, as far as I know so tuning the SMPS1K-PFC to deliver 14A @ 119VDC = 1666W with over 400W headroom.

I doubt that you will draw that current for more than 2 seconds, so you are good to go, that's just what I expect.

Sending you the manual now

Ivanovitch_k

hye, those smps looks nice. Would you happen to have a model that would support 5 purifi amps ?

audio2design

Major Contributor
Questions:

- you say low EMI. How much lower than FCC class B or CISPR are these for conducted emissions and also for radiated emissions using a synthetic load? Do you have readily available plots?

- You mentioned PFC function. At 240 VAC, and 50% power, what is the power factor and THD?

- most SMPS are not selectable these days but simply work over a wide input voltage range. What range do yours work over?

- what architecture do these power supplies use?

- what is the minimum and maximum output switching frequency of what I assume is the second stage

- have you done any work on regulatory approval. Looking at blow ups of pictures I have concerns about spacing for creepage and clearance

- What typical efficiencies are you achieving?

Last edited:
OP
MicroAudio

MicroAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
- you say low EMI. How much lower than FCC class B or CISPR are these for conducted emissions and also for radiated emissions using a synthetic load? Do you have readily available plots?

I don't have any plot yet, to be honest, but it is low to the level it's not disturbing any sensitive device around it.

- You mentioned PFC function. At 240 VAC, and 50% power, what is the power factor and THD?

PFC function means a wide input voltage range from 110VAC up to 265VAC. and the 240VAC was written as a generic refrence.

I don't have any measures for THD yet, Power factor is 98% @ 110VAC & 99% at 240VAC.
PF @ 50% power is 98%

- most SMPS are not selectable these days but simply work over a wide input voltage range. What range do yours work over?

110VAC to 265VAC , and any range in between for example 178.7VAC

- what architecture do these power supplies use?

ZCS

- what is the minimum and maximum output switching frequency of what I assume is the second stage

65KHZ & maximum 71KHZ, FYI no synchronous rectifier

- have you done any work on regulatory approval. Looking at blow ups of pictures I have concerns about spacing for creepage and clearance

All of my work will go under CE approval at some stage later for sure. but it meets all the safety requirements.
don't worry too much about creepage distances because I take care of them really well with an additional 3mm airgap between primary and secondary, also were needed at some specific locations at the primary side.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Top Bottom