• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Smart TV with Chromecast built-in as a Streamer

D888

Am using this as a source in one of my rooms. TV's connected to an external DAC via toslink out for stereo duties. Play mainly from Tidal either via chromecast built in or via the app downloaded to TV. Controlling app via TV remote control a little clunky, so usual control is chromecast via android phone. Am also able to access LAN files using Bubbleupnp via my phone.

Drawback is TV screen is always on...

Anyone else using this setup?

BillG

Major Contributor

I ran something similar for awhile, using a television's analog output, though. Depending upon the nature of the display technology used, it won't drive up one's power usage by very much.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Am using this as a source in one of my rooms. TV's connected to an external DAC via toslink out for stereo duties. Play mainly from Tidal either via chromecast built in or via the app downloaded to TV. Controlling app via TV remote control a little clunky, so usual control is chromecast via android phone. Am also able to access LAN files using Bubbleupnp via my phone.

Drawback is TV screen is always on...

I can do this, I choose not to. Android (including TV) resamples the audio before outputting to either optical or analog. I dont like that as you dont know how good the internal conversion is. Whether that bothers you is of course up to you. A year or 2 ago I would have suggested a chromecast audio device as a no brainer alternative as its standalone, low power , doesnt need TV on etc and is bit perfect via optical. Sadly discontinued.

BTW, my Sony TV has a nifty option in one of the menus to "turn picture off"- dont know what model / brand you have but maybe a hidden option?

OP
D

D888

I can do this, I choose not to. Android (including TV) resamples the audio before outputting to either optical or analog. I dont like that as you dont know how good the internal conversion is. Whether that bothers you is of course up to you. A year or 2 ago I would have suggested a chromecast audio device as a no brainer alternative as its standalone, low power , doesnt need TV on etc and is bit perfect via optical. Sadly discontinued.

BTW, my Sony TV has a nifty option in one of the menus to "turn picture off"- dont know what model / brand you have but maybe a hidden option?

Ah I didn't know that android resampled audio.. I managed to AB with a sonos connect connected via spdif out to the same DAC(TC Electronic BMC-2) without any audible difference in quality...

I didn't know Sony's had that option! Good to know.. thanks!

PaoloS

Hi Jimbob, I am also using similar setup as D888 (Chromecast>TV>Toslink>DAC): why do you believe that Android audio resampling of digital output should harm quality?
Isn't true that, as long as bitrate is kept, quality should not be reduced?
Can Anybody point me to a post on AUdioScienceRev measuring Android audio resampling effects?
Thanks!

Top Bottom