• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Smart phone for less, a lot less ...

North_Sky

Major Contributor
https://www.forbes.com/sites/barryc...oves-its-insane-to-pay-1000-for-a-smartphone/

960x0.jpg

Think about it; we pay over $1,000 just to have a portable phone that are everywhere in the world!
With that kind of money you can feed a family of seven for a year living in the poorest countries.

So it's nice to see something a little more down-to-earth for a change.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
samsung shoots itself in the foot with these cheaper phones. I have last year's Samsung A70 with starter Qualcomm CPU, 6.7" AMOLED screen and 4700mAh battery, great 64MP camera - came with quickcharger, screen protector and case for $350. It supports LineageOS 17 on top of that - bootloader is unlockable! It only worth buying flagships for their cameras and water protection. So, if you already have DSLR or mirrorless camera - you might as well go for cheaper phone with big screen and battery.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Moto G7 here.

1597074356814.png

ta240

Major Contributor
Think about it; we pay over $1,000 just to have a portable phone that are everywhere in the world!

It is amazing how much computing power you can get in a tiny package and even at $1,000 it would a be great deal if people used them for 5-10 years.

What kills me are the people that have to upgrade to the latest and greatest every year and then they complain about not having money and that being someone else's fault.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
"We". Personally, I don't see the need for a device designed for adult children suffering from a heavy case of ADHD (which is, let's be real, mostly caused by "parents" putting such electronic go-go gadgets in the hands of toddlers and young children to make them quiet).

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I can't really justify replacing my perfectly good V30+ but there's an over supply of the almost new quad DAC micro SD equipped G8x easily picked up in the $250-$300 range.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tks

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Samsung S5 neo here. When I bought it some 4 years ago it it was the only one I could find which had a Micro-SD card slot and a user replaceable battery. Still works good using the first battery.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
It is amazing indeed the power we have today for few hundred bucks; compared to say twenty years ago...in the palm of one hand. We don't even need packing our camera when we travel. ...No address and phone book either.

And now we are in the 5G zone ... 100 times faster and all that new world @ the speed of light with features like automatic doctor's prescriptions, groceries missing in the fridge, ...all that orbiting jazz.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
It is amazing indeed the power we have today for few hundred bucks; compared to say twenty years ago...in the palm of one hand. We don't even need packing our camera when we travel. ...No address and phone book either.

And now we are in the 5G zone ... 100 times faster and all that new world @ the speed of light with features like automatic doctor's prescriptions, groceries missing in the fridge, ...all that orbiting jazz.
I remeber having to know my friends land phone numbers. And knocking on doors to speak to people. Now my memory is filled with passwords and I announce my presence with a text.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
iPhone XS here. I shall now be eviscerated.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I remeber having to know my friends land phone numbers. And knocking on doors to speak to people. Now my memory is filled with passwords and I announce my presence with a text.

Very true; before we used to talk to people, now we talk to our phone.
Maybe our phone is smarter than people?

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I don't text...I don't talk to people. I talk to my phone...for directions, for surfing, for news around the world, for prices (washing machines, coffee makers, toasters, etc.).

I talk to people behind a mask in person 6 feet away.
Or I talk to FaceTime with live images and sounds.
Texting is not my thing, never was. One of my sisters she likes texting, that's the only time; once per six months...birthday and Christmas.

Nobody, and I mean nobody uses a smartphone like everybody else exactly the same.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I mean, you're chatting on a forum where most have spent several times that sum to very marginally improve some fancy audio equipment ;)

Yes but I don't type on my smartphone; a laptop has a much bigger keyboard...right.
Or I would have dozens of typos instead of just few.
* I think we can correct our typos (edit) for 24 hours?
I prefer for life.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Look @ smart TVs now; people talk to them ... to change the channels, know the weather, adjust the sound, tune the image, switch inputs, ...
You don't need a remote anymore...or you can even talk to your phone to change TV channels. People even talk hand-free to other people ... Bluetooth and Real Life (with a mask and 2 meters away).

Top Bottom