• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Smallest possible amp for Dan Clark Aeons?

I have an ACX and my daughter has the Noire. I find both the Qudelix and an ifi hip dac-2 power each fine, even with bass eqed on each. The Q is amazing for its size and price - although I've read of some QC issues, mine have been fine.

OP
theglobalelite
So finally got the Aeon Noires and can comment on my original question. The Lightning to 3.5mm Apple dongle just baaaarely squeaks by with the volume at 100%. If you like to listen at modest to low listening volumes, the dongle might actually be enough! I wanted a bit more power so I grabbed the $100 E1DA 9038S and wow, now I have tons of additions of addition headroom! 60% is more than enough now as the little E1DA 9038S can put out some serious power.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@theglobalelite glad to hear it.
If you can borrow a friend's Android phone/tablet, then you can use the Tweak9038 App to customize your 9038S's minimum and maximum volume limits.
You can make it so that 1% on your iPhone is just the right amount of quiet for listening at night, and 100% is as loud as you'll ever want it.
That way you can use all 16 volume steps in iOS for the best fine control.
...or you could make it so that 1% will already blast your ears of lol, the sky's the limit :p

bbgma1234

At the risk of asking a stupid question, because I've never owned a pair of headphones with the 4-pin balanced xlr, how do you connect it correctly and safely with one of these amps like an SMSL or Topping if it doesn't have a balanced input? Is there an adapter of some sort?

staticV3

Master Contributor
At the risk of asking a stupid question, because I've never owned a pair of headphones with the 4-pin balanced xlr, how do you connect it correctly and safely with one of these amps like an SMSL or Topping if it doesn't have a balanced input? Is there an adapter of some sort?
You can buy adapters like these to connect a 4pin XLR headphone to all sorts of outputs:
61UAabtwekL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg 51-sEC0eF2L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

noscearmor

@theglobalelite @stanroz
View attachment 188635
View attachment 188636
View attachment 188637
View attachment 188638
View attachment 188639

Please note that the 9038S G3 has less noise and distortion than the G1 you see measured here. The Amp is the same though, so power output is unchanged.

Also, you need a balanced cable to use the 9038S.

For a compatible Lightning to Type-C cable, take a loot at this sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_Yqd7lpt3N2B0kVwzqzHoRmCTO7ZTe32p_xhjuGluh8/edit?usp=sharing
When comparing your results to the ones from L7Audiolab the output doesn't seem nearly as high for the 9038S(G3). Even when ignoring the spike in THD+N it only reaches a little over 400mW at 16Ohm, while your measurements show a little above 600mW at about 16Ohm. What am i missing?

THDN-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level.jpg

I am contemplating changing out the Moonriver2 for a 9038SG3 because of it's power output and my interest in the Aeons, for comparison here's L7's measurements for the MoonRiver2:

BAL-THDN-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level-2.jpg

Top Bottom