• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Smaller Alternative to Yamaha A-S301?

telackey

I have a system in my office with fairly modest requirements. The speakers are about 94dB efficient and the only source at the moment is a Topping D30 from my desktop computer.

I would like to replace the existing tube amp with something solid-state, mainly so that I'll actually use it more frequently.

I really like Yamaha amps from past experience, and an A-S301 would be a great fit regarding both performance and aesthetics, except that it is physically too deep for the location. The shelf behind my desk is only about 12 inches deep, which realistically limits the depth of the amp to about 9.5 - 10 inches once you factor in room for cables behind.

I am OK with new or used. Probably the leading contender at the moment is the Aiyima A07, simply because it will do the job at a very reasonable price, but admit I'd prefer something more similar to the Yamaha if it could be found.

Recommendations?

Last edited:
OP
T

telackey

I ended up picking up a used Denon PMA-50. Technology-wise, it is pretty much the other end of the spectrum vs the vintage-style Yamaha. But it has good build quality and good performance in a small physical package, with lots of digital input options, all the while being quite a bit less expensive than even the budget-friendly A-S301 (at least what I paid, some of the ones I saw on e-bay are priced absurdly high).

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Fine choice. If you wanted to stick with Yamaha, I'd have suggested:

Cheaper options are available from SMSL and other Chinese brands.

OP
T

telackey

Yes, I saw that one, but I agree completely on its price. Something in the Aiyima/Topping/SMSL family would give equal or better performance at a fraction of the cost. I was also a bit skeptical if it has the hearty build of the more traditional Yamahas, especially as it comes in at nearly double the cost of the A-S301.

OP
T

telackey

I can report the PMA-50 to be excellent. It exceeded my expectations in terms of build, convenience, and performance. If anyone is looking for a bookshelf / office amplifier, I would highly recommend it, provided you can find one at a decent price.

A couple of quick usability notes:

1) A driver is not needed for USB audio with Windows except for ASIO. Because I actually need to allow sound from multiple sources, ASIO would be an anti-feature in this instance, and so I removed the driver. WASAPI shared mode is working excellently at PCM 24/192kHz with no drivers required.

2) I didn't anticipate using the Bluetooth at all, but it has actually proven pretty handy, allowing me to switch easily from music (on my computer) to audio books (on my phone). I am not sure of the Bluetooth generation it uses, and so I'm not sure of its maximum theoretic quality. I can say that when listening to books it certainly sounds excellent, but the requirements for that are not demanding.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
The new SMSL AO 100 is another good, inexpensive choice. Easy to operate, nice remote, BT and Line inputs, tone settings that can be modified, time-out display, digital volume control. My Aiyima A07 has more power/higher volume but this SMSL unit is working out well in the dining room setup where space is at a premium.

Top Bottom