• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Small upgrade on my Audioengine A5 speakers for my desktop?

PeteSouthgate

Hello everyone!

I'm a fairly big audionoob but I'm looking for active speakers that are an upgrade on my current Audio Engine A5+, that I'm using with my desktop computer. I've had the A5+ for a few years and whilst I do find them great for what I need, I wouldn't mind treating myself to an upgrade as I've secured a new job working from home.

My budget is up to £1000ish.

TIA

Pete

Darvis

The active Kef (I don't remember the name) for sure.

That being said your post would get much more visibility in the speakers section :)

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone!

I'm a fairly big audionoob but I'm looking for active speakers that are an upgrade on my current Audio Engine A5+, that I'm using with my desktop computer. I've had the A5+ for a few years and whilst I do find them great for what I need, I wouldn't mind treating myself to an upgrade as I've secured a new job working from home.

TIA

Pete
Have a look at Genelec 8030.

OP
P

PeteSouthgate

Appreciate the replies, I think the Genelec 8030 seems to tick the boxes.

I'm just weighing up a couple of the other options which are the Acoustic Energy AE1 Active and the KEF LSX II...how do you think either of them compare to the Genelec 8030?

JayGilb

Major Contributor
There are lots of powered studio monitors under $1000 pair that would most likely perform better than your Audioengine A5 speakers.
Just a quick search shows several combos (2 active monitors + powered sub) within your budget.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Appreciate the replies, I think the Genelec 8030 seems to tick the boxes.

I'm just weighing up a couple of the other options which are the Acoustic Energy AE1 Active and the KEF LSX II...how do you think either of them compare to the Genelec 8030?
I auditioned the Genelec 8030s a while back, but not side by side with the A5s. (I have used the A5s in my desktop system since 2014.) Were the Genelecs better? Because I didn't hear them side by side it was difficult to say. The Genelecs did not convince me to invest in the upgrade. I think a factor in the lack of a compelling difference is that a desktop computer is a poor environment for any speaker. They are adjacent to a big pane of glass, and the desktop itself is a cause of reflections. I was all ready to upgrade, but it wasn't compelling. A properly set up sub with DSP support will make a huge difference with either choice.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I auditioned the Genelec 8030s a while back, but not side by side with the A5s. (I have used the A5s in my desktop system since 2014.) Were the Genelecs better? Because I didn't hear them side by side it was difficult to say. The Genelecs did not convince me to invest in the upgrade. I think a factor in the lack of a compelling difference is that a desktop computer is a poor environment for any speaker. They are adjacent to a big pane of glass, and the desktop itself is a cause of reflections. I was all ready to upgrade, but it wasn't compelling. A properly set up sub with DSP support will make a huge difference with either choice.
I have the 8030's on a desktop. Putting them on speaker stands (20 cm high) makes a big difference. The op could also try that with his current speakers.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the 8030's on a desktop. Putting them on speaker stands (20 cm high) makes a big difference. The op could also try that with his current speakers.
You could be correct. My desktop is an unusual design (I had it custom-built), where the keyboard tray is at the correct height given my favorite desk chair, and the desktop is at a height that makes my Apple monitor at eye level, and the A5s, by chance, have their tweeters very close to my ear level. For a more typical desktop stands could be a significant advantage.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Hello everyone!

TIA

Pete
Try to measure them with a microphone like the Umik from minidsp. There is a tutorial here by Amirm on the measurement process using REW.
The microphone only costs you 100 dollars or thereabouts, the software is free. You can upgrade your speakers with eq and you'll learn valuable lessons that you can always apply in any system you'll get.

If you get a really different result from Amir's measurements put them on a few books and see if that improves things. If so, you'll know that speaker stands will be an upgrade.

If bass is lacking you could buy a sub.

Measuring will let you know what you can improve.

Last edited:

paudio

What did you end up going with? Some acoustic treatment and stuff can help too. What kind of sound do you prefer and what type of genres do you listen to? As other people have mentioned you're probably missing a lot of the lowest frequencies which can be a lot for modern electronic for instance.

astcal

Forum Donor
ikc-L-iLoudMTM_sx34_back_mic_HQ.jpg

Amir's review here:

paudio

iLoud MTM
This is what I'm running on my desk. Reaches real low in room with my desk close to a wall. Always makes me smile listening to electronic music. Can put it loud enough to listen around the house while doing chores without hitting the limiter.

Mal

KEF LSX II is £1200. Alternatively, you may still get the KEF LSX I discounted to £800, but be quick! I have the latter and use them for everything: watching TV, Spotify, BBC Radio 2, 3, & 4, CDs, YouTube, ... and am really happy with them...

Top Bottom