• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Small sub to go with JBL 305P monitors

stefkrger

I've been using the JBL 305P (mk1) for some years now in my small, mostly untreated bedroom studio (I do have some bass traps in the corners but that's it).
So far I'm super happy with them considering the budget price, however I'd like to go a little deeper with the low end.
I've had the matching JBL LSR 310S here to try out, but it was just too big and looked terrible in my room.

In a nearby studio I've seen the MJ Acoustics PRO 50 Mk3 and though they would be the perfect size for my room (about 280mm x 280mm footprint).
However they don't come with a built-in crossover which I would prefer..
Do you guys have a recommendation for a small footprint budget (studio)-sub with built-in crossover?

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Takes space to make bass, the LSR310S is small by subwoofer standards.

It has the major benefit of implementing a proper high-pass filter on the speaker outputs, many subwoofers only low-pass, still feeding full-range to the speakers. Without a high-pass you don't get a reduction in inter-modulation distortion and improved power handling.

MJ Acoustics Pro 50 MK3 sends up some red flags. Small cabinet means it needs DSP to play down low, and extra amplifier power to back it up. With only 120 watts, it won't play loud, and distortion is a strong possibility. Also, they say -3dB at 19Hz in-room, which is meaningless, subwoofer performance is measured ground-plane with no room influence.

If you don't want the LRS310S, the SVS SB-1000 Pro is a little smaller but more capable. However, you would need something like a miniDSP to implement a high-pass filter. Fairly expensive solution overall, but you get what you pay for.

OP
S

stefkrger

Thanks, highly appreciate the input! I agree, without DSP it takes space to make bass.

But talking DSP.. since aesthetics is one of my main concerns here I was also thinking going down the route of replacing the JBLs with something like the Neumann KH 80 DSP with MA 1 room calibration system.

Seems like it won't be that much more expensive than adding a decent sub woofer. And the small speakers seem to play down to 40 Hz -3dB after calibration (which is really impressive physically).

Is there a major drawback as compared to a dedicated sub solution?

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My preference would be to use a sub with the speakers you have. I am using 305p MK IIs with the LSR 310s and I have placed the sub underneath a table that I use as a desk. It is pushed back far enough that I still have enough foot room. Everything looks and sounds great.

Top Bottom