• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Small Nearfield Speakers

RERobbins

I am putting together a desktop system where I have very little space. The system will be used at very low volumes. For now I have a pair of Audioengine A2+ speakers on loan and they are adequate for my purpose. I am looking for better alternatives. I have not been able to audition the Audioengine HD3 or the Genelec G One or the Vanatoo Transparent Zero. Does anyone have a perspective on these (or similarly small speakers).

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly how small do you need them to be, and how much bass do you want?

ljubisa_05

Audioengine HD3 definitely. They sound excellent for the price and setup!
Wireless, look great, front panel volume control and headphone jack. All you need for a small space

garbulky

Major Contributor
I've heard the Emotiva airmotiv 4s and 5s. Subjective impressions here: Both very nice values for the money. Really surprising quality out of them. I've also heard some audio engine speakers - likely the ones you mentioned. They were pretty good too but the Emotiva's get my vote.

Gabs

Of course is price is no limit you could check for coaxial ones as KEFs or Kii (https://www.kiiaudio.com/index.php). There is another brand which I cannot remember, they built a little coax speaker, "the one" or something like that, and seems good.

OP
R

RERobbins

Exactly how small do you need them to be, and how much bass do you want?

I'm limited to roughly the size of the Audioengine A2+, maybe a tick larger.

I am not looking for much bass at all. This is for low volume play in my office. I am more focused on detail and clarity.

OP
R

RERobbins

Audioengine HD3 definitely. They sound excellent for the price and setup!
Wireless, look great, front panel volume control and headphone jack. All you need for a small space
Can you describe sonic differences between the A2+ and the HD3?

OP
R

RERobbins

Compromises abound!

Check out Dynaudio, though!

I love DynAudio. I have a pair of the Excite X36 floor speakers in my main rig and had a pair of active powered speakers from them in my home office for years (I just replaced those with ProAc Tablette 10 speakers driven by a Naim Uniti Atom). I don't think DynAudio has anything suitably small for what I'm after. Am I wrong on that score?

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I love DynAudio. I have a pair of the Excite X36 floor speakers in my main rig and had a pair of active powered speakers from them in my home office for years (I just replaced those with ProAc Tablette 10 speakers driven by a Naim Uniti Atom). I don't think DynAudio has anything suitably small for what I'm after. Am I wrong on that score?

Dynaudio PRO LYD 8.

Thumbs up!

Top Bottom