• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Small monitor speakers: seeking advice and suggestions

BigP

Happy Easter to everybody!
I'm looking for a pair of small pair of monitor speakers, I know this kind of question comes up quite often, but here I am :)
First thing first: I will be using them primarly for mixing purposes for my own music productions (pop punk tunes and light rock, but also I like to produce EDM, I use synth plugins), so I'm not looking for flattering speakers. Until now, I used headphones (Audio Technica ATH-M50x) but I found myself bouncing back and forth from my desk to my car to have a balanced mix.
Other constraints:
- my "studio" is in my untreated bedroom (11'x13')
- small desk and limited space (speaker enclosure width can be maximum 150-160mm or around 6", not more)
- desk is near wall, so front bass reflex port is preferable (right?)

Given this requirements, I found this suitable options:
  • IK iLoud Micro Monitor (250€ for a new pair): I've read excelent reviews about theese and listened to a lot of comparatives (I know, I know..) but I'm also worried about port chuffing at lowest frequencies, bass is a little overwhelming compared to mid and high frequencies, and also audio compression/distortion (especially bass) when increasing the volume.
  • Eve Audio SC-203 (I found a pair used for 350€, or B-Stock from an online shop for 420€ 3yrs warranty): found very very little about theese, but what I could find was all positive. They don't go low as the iLouds, but port chuffing is eliminated since they don't have a bass reflex port, also have a sub out (in case in future I would want to add one, maybe I won't, but who knows..). Should be a little more detailed compared to iLoud MM.
  • Eve Audio SC-204: maybe also theese will fit, but I've not searched for price nor audio quality yet.
Are there other alternatives that will comply with my requirements?

I know that with whatever I'll go I won't be able to do a professional mix & master since this would be my main monitoring system (and not a reference), also given how limited I am I must accept compromises of some sort, but I want something that is more than adequate and accurate for an amateur home studio, something that gives me less problems, or at least the less noticeable ones I can live with :)

Waiting for your inputs and suggestions!

dfuller

Major Contributor
With the size limitations you've mentioned I believe you're better off just getting a decent pair of headphones. The iLouds are fairly flat but very high distortion, and the Eves... Generally just meh. Plus, considering that you can't really do anything about your room, I would trust nothing from it.

As far as headphones go I'd be inclined to go for the Drop/Sennheiser HD6XX.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Happy Easter to everybody!
I'm looking for a pair of small pair of monitor speakers, I know this kind of question comes up quite often, but here I am :)
First thing first: I will be using them primarly for mixing purposes for my own music productions (pop punk tunes and light rock, but also I like to produce EDM, I use synth plugins), so I'm not looking for flattering speakers. Until now, I used headphones (Audio Technica ATH-M50x) but I found myself bouncing back and forth from my desk to my car to have a balanced mix.
Other constraints:
- my "studio" is in my untreated bedroom (11'x13')
- small desk and limited space (speaker enclosure width can be maximum 150-160mm or around 6", not more)
- desk is near wall, so front bass reflex port is preferable (right?)

Given this requirements, I found this suitable options:
  • IK iLoud Micro Monitor (250€ for a new pair): I've read excelent reviews about theese and listened to a lot of comparatives (I know, I know..) but I'm also worried about port chuffing at lowest frequencies, bass is a little overwhelming compared to mid and high frequencies, and also audio compression/distortion (especially bass) when increasing the volume.
  • Eve Audio SC-203 (I found a pair used for 350€, or B-Stock from an online shop for 420€ 3yrs warranty): found very very little about theese, but what I could find was all positive. They don't go low as the iLouds, but port chuffing is eliminated since they don't have a bass reflex port, also have a sub out (in case in future I would want to add one, maybe I won't, but who knows..). Should be a little more detailed compared to iLoud MM.
  • Eve Audio SC-204: maybe also theese will fit, but I've not searched for price nor audio quality yet.
Are there other alternatives that will comply with my requirements?

I know that with whatever I'll go I won't be able to do a professional mix & master since this would be my main monitoring system (and not a reference), also given how limited I am I must accept compromises of some sort, but I want something that is more than adequate and accurate for an amateur home studio, something that gives me less problems, or at least the less noticeable ones I can live with :)

Waiting for your inputs and suggestions!
I have the micro monitors. At typical listening volumes (70-75db) I do not hear any port noise. And no hiss either with gain set to 0 (center)

They are good enough for listening to music when I’m at my computer (don’t like headphones), especially if space is a concern. however, i would never mistake the sound with my kef r3s.

timblocktoom

Just to chime in here, I have the larger iLoud MTM's and I'm having a world of problems with them due to being too close to the walls (due to desk space limitations).

I've moved them away from the wall to a position I can't really use, but just to test -- and it made a world of difference.

I may have to sell them honestly

Top Bottom