• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Small, lightweight amp with two analog inputs?

Dogen

Forum Donor
I’ve been looking around for small amp I can mount behind my wall-mounted TV in the bedroom with two switchable analog audio inputs. Anyone have any suggestions?

I’d like to run both TV sound and the output of an Airport Express through the amp, and be able to select the input. Something like the Lepy LP-2020 would be perfect; lightweight unit that can be strapped to the mounting hardware or affixed to the wall behind the TV, and offering front-panel input selection. I suppose I could use an RCA switcher, but would rather not add an additional box. I’d be controlling volume through the sources, do I don’t even need a volume control.

The very high bar I’m setting here ;) is to improve the sound over the onboard Vizio speakers, and route it to my Mirage speakers on the wall, while enjoying Airplay music as well. So nothing fancy! Thanks to all...

OP
Dogen

Dogen

Forum Donor
Should add that one of the inputs could be TOSLINK. Thanks...

Tunnelrat81

Not as cheap as some others, but I recently bought the Topping PA3 mini amp for my garage. Although I'm not blown away by the sound in initial testing (compared to my AVR), it has a very nice look, claims 60wpc, and has a single button switching between 2 inputs. It would surely be mIles better than TV speakers. Both inputs are analog though.
Keep in mind that these little amps have power supply bricks that are as large as the amps themselves, so you'll need to affix both back there.

-Jeremy

Willem

Major Contributor
For this purpose you want an amp that has auto on/off switching. Some do, but many don't. Personally I would prefer digital inputs rather than analogue ones. In my case, I am using an Ava Maestro 50 pwm amplifier with a Chromecast Audio as a source. It would not work for you because it has only one (digital) input, but otherwise it is the kind of thing that you are looking for. It sits tucked away in a wardrobe. The volume control is used to set the maximum level, and we use the digital volume control on our smartphones to reduce volume even further if and when required.

OP
Dogen

Dogen

Forum Donor
Thanks to both of you! That little Topping will do the trick... The Ava Maestro 50 is more than I want to spend, not even sure it’s available in the US, but no doubt a great solution as well.

Top Bottom