• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Small column speaker with cardioid radiation from bass to the mids - Kling & Freitag PIA M - PA speakers lead the way

OP
T

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is a review of the speaker linked on the Kling & Freitag page from Production Partner (German) with some measurements.

The speaker seems to be pretty good.

The realistic max spl is also measured, which is about 115dB at the lowest point in the bass with 10% distortion in the free space.
With the cardiod mode it is a bit lower. IMHO it is a lot of headroom for such a small column.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a review of the speaker linked on the Kling & Freitag page from Production Partner (German) with some measurements.

The speaker seems to be pretty good.

The realistic max spl is also measured, which is about 115dB at the lowest point in the bass with 10% distortion in the free space.
With the cardiod mode it is a bit lower. IMHO it is a lot of headroom for such a small column.
It is very good PA speaker. It looks the quality of construction is extremely high.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is very good PA speaker. It looks the quality of construction is extremely high.
I fully agree, wouldn't even mind having such at home and even prefer it to most of the "high end" hifi.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe the best that could be said that speaker...

View attachment 231523

Nothing special and ... it is not cardioid. Not by the posted graph anyway.

Sorry to burst anyone bubble...

Peace.
Can you let us know other similar PA speakers that is better?

Also, why do you say a speaker with this dispersion is not a cardioid? It is -12dB down at 100Hz at the back of the unit.

F5DD3FDE-41D3-4397-B4FC-F52768638E1C.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
T

test1223

@pierre calculated some spinoramas from the gll file of the speaker some time ago and I was a bit surprised that the results where different form the ordinary measurement of Production Partner. He did some recalculation I guess? Now there are new versions of the spinoramas. You can find them on his very good spinorama collection site https://www.spinorama.org/

The following spinorama is in the cardioid wide mode.
kf.png

As I said earlier a very impressive speaker.

Last edited:
OP
T

test1223

I recently found an interesting video of the speaker.

Such a speaker with an emphasis on hi-fi would be very nice. Come on hi-fi speaker manufactures you can even copy most of the resent innovations like cardiod bass.

Top Bottom