• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Small budget first sub recommendation Yamaha vs Jamo

Which small and budget sub would you recommend?

• Jamo SUB 210

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Yamaha NS-SW050

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters

GeorgeWalk

I have the Yamaha SW012 subwoofer for my system. It works fine in my room where I listen to music. For me, a subwoofer is like wallpaper, it provides ambience and backgroud but I don't really "listen" to it. It helps enhance the overall sound experience in the room. In my room with the home theater system, I have a large subwoofer. In that case, I want a subwoofer that gives "punch" to the home theater.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Why you not just buy the yamaha? I think it would fit your purpose perfectly. If you dont like it over time you can sell it.
What you told me for what you like to have it, i would try the Yamaha. It fits perfectly your descriped requierments.

Edit says:
What you told it's between your feet. It has not to deliver eartquake like spl. You use it over the sub out of a avr. So the yamaha specs sound absolutly good for me. It has no schnickschnak on it. It's not expensive. If it realy is not good enough for your expetations, sell it.

Last edited:

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

OP1M.DR3M

Forum Donor
He's found his niche and he moves a lot of product but I don't even try to watch the videos anymore and it is hard to take the 'reviews' seriously.

I like that he gets his hands all over the product and often shows you their weird quirks.. like the Topping D90's ridiculously fast volume control when holding down the buttons, or the sound leak coming out the speakers when using the SMSL M500 (v1) in headphone mode, or the subtle ticking sounds coming from Emotiva's PA-1 amps.. it's cool to be able to see/hear these things on camera.

@pirxel But yeah.. subwoofers! Here's a reasonably sized, cheap 10" Elac sub https://www.amazon.com/Elac-SUB1010...ub1010&qid=1593463144&sprefix=elac+sub&sr=8-1 Don't know if it's available where you are though..

Not sure if this one would cut it but it's super compact https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/products/speakers/minx-x201

Last edited:
OP
pirxel

pirxel

I like that he gets his hands all over the product and often shows you their weird quirks.. like the Topping D90's ridiculously fast volume control when holding down the buttons, or the sound leak coming out the speakers when using the SMSL M500 (v1) in headphone mode, or the subtle ticking sounds coming from Emotiva's PA-1 amps.. it's cool to be able to see/hear these things on camera.

I do follow Z, used to watch every video he put out, one of the first youtubers I could stand that talks about audio gear, there are some more nowadays, but i still check him out. But yeah, it's usually good to take his opinions with a grain of salt. The guy is still entertaining tho...

Emotiva stuff tho, not really easy to find in the EU, that model in particular isn't anywhere here, importing sub from the US is a bad idea in many different ways.

@pirxel But yeah.. subwoofers! Here's a reasonably sized, cheap 10" Elac sub https://www.amazon.com/Elac-SUB1010...ub1010&qid=1593463144&sprefix=elac+sub&sr=8-1 Don't know if it's available where you are though..

Not sure if this one would cut it but it's super compact https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/products/speakers/minx-x201

Thanks mate, I like Elac stuff, but that model is not really available here in the EU, the only one that is this one, but I'm guessing is not as good:
https://www.amazon.de/Debut-S10-2-S...ords=Elac+SUB1010&qid=1593538866&sr=8-2-fkmr1

That Minx one looks great, but the price is quite demanding and I'm avoiding the ones that are too compact after what the folks told me here about size, I'm really aiming at 8-10 inch woofers only

OP1M.DR3M

Forum Donor
I do follow Z, used to watch every video he put out, one of the first youtubers I could stand that talks about audio gear, there are some more nowadays, but i still check him out. But yeah, it's usually good to take his opinions with a grain of salt. The guy is still entertaining tho...

Emotiva stuff tho, not really easy to find in the EU, that model in particular isn't anywhere here, importing sub from the US is a bad idea in many different ways.

Thanks mate, I like Elac stuff, but that model is not really available here in the EU, the only one that is this one, but I'm guessing is not as good:
https://www.amazon.de/Debut-S10-2-S...ords=Elac+SUB1010&qid=1593538866&sr=8-2-fkmr1

That Minx one looks great, but the price is quite demanding and I'm avoiding the ones that are too compact after what the folks told me here about size, I'm really aiming at 8-10 inch woofers only

Yeah Z has put a lot of gear on my radar. I've found that sometimes our tastes align and sometimes they really don't.

Looks like there is an Emotiva distributor in Poland.. that's where you are, correct?

Screenshot_20200630-134528.png

OP
pirxel

pirxel

right, but those are usually brick and mortar stores, owners more often than not don't speak English (I'm an expat here, still struggling to learn that language). Thanks for the contact, I'll look into it, but easier online purchase channels are preferred as said, not just for the initial purchase effort, but also in case I need support (customer service here generally suck and that is more often true the smaller the business is - I have a few horror stories already from small local stores here, but I'll leave that for another day).

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Another vote here for the SVS SB1000. One of the Amazon.de links previously posted shows it's available for €300, presumably used. They also have a dealer in Poland should any issues arise. It would be ample for your stated use case and beyond so you'd probably keep it forever. And it offers a full 180 degree phase adjustment knob, not the usual crude binary switch, which allowed mine to be integrated really well. Oh, and no boomy sub sound.

Willem

Major Contributor
My preference would be for the SVS SB1000 as probably the best budget sub. However, it is well above your budget. Closer to your budget there is the B.K. Gemini: http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/Gemini.htm Price including delivery to Poland is about 290 pounds, i.e. some 320 euro. It comes with all cables etc included.

Last edited:

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not convinced I need high pass filter since I plan to use my amp sub out which will send an LFE signal out so I'm counting on it do deal with the cross-over
You're mixing up some things I think:
- HIGHpass is to cut the bass out of your main speakers, so they don't overload. If right now you can play blasting at full volume and it sounds OK to you, fine. Otherwise if your main speakers are straining, you need a highpass filter, because otherwise adding the sub will make more boom with the main speakers' distortions still going on = not good.
- Do NOT assume a "sub out" means the highpass is being "dealt with" inside the amp. A number of two channel units very STUPIDLY have a sub out with no highpass at all.
- Also stupidly, sometimes they do but it is not mentioned in the manual-Onkyo, maybe Yamaha too. I remember one thread where an owner said if you engaged the YPAO on whatever model that was, you could set highpass. Not documented.
- Meanwhile the lowpass cuts the highs out of the sub so you don't hear voices coming from the floor or whatever.
- LFE = Low Frequency Effects. This is a specific channel for movies, it is NOT the same as "routing all the bass to the sub"-the other If you use your "sub out" I don't think you need to worry about this.

As for the sub, life really begins at 12" and 300 or more like 500 watts. In a more modest space and system, maybe a ported 10" or exceptional sealed 10. At one extreme I got my brother this
https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=9723
which really does not have enough power, but in his system adding nice lows up to fairly loud SPL. There is similar from Parts Express, which probably not available for you either. Can you get Polk? They also offer something similar.

But if you can save, it's better. I just put an SVS SB-3000, wow super well thought out and a ton of low bass with a lot of SPL possible. I don't think you need that much for your situation but I'd try and save up for their 1000 series. Used is also fine BUT not like 10 years old stuff, electronics can break.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Really? I mean I do trust yamaha, and I'm leaning more towards it, but I thought Jamo was a good brand for audio gear too, no? Care to elaborate?
@hardisj's review of the Jamo S807 is a good place to start.

I would agree with others that SVS is a good low-cost subwoofer.

BigJim79

If you are in the EU, I thoroughly recommend checking out BK Subs in the UK. They have an eBay outlet and are an amazing company to deal with. I brought a factory second XLS400, they offered to change the auto power on switch at no cost. The bass is frankly amazing, tight, so detailed. Now I think it's better for Music, their Monolith 8s the one for Movies.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
.As for the sub, life really begins at 12" and 300 or more like 500 watts. In a more modest space and system, maybe a ported 10" or exceptional sealed 10.
I agree with all you wrote except cited above. I use a (quite expensive and comparable large) Genelec 7060B (10" ported, 120W) in a 50 sqm room, in a 2.1 system with K&H O300D. I do listen a bit louder sometimes and have not had any issues with the sub or its performance. I'm not a bass head though.

Top Bottom