• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

small amp, relatively inexpensive

ta240

Major Contributor
As low as 35 watts is fine, the more under $500 the better, needs a volume control, doesn't need a DAC.

I'm considering a 50ASX2 in a Ghent Case with a JDS Atom as a preamp for it; since the icepower don't like fluctuating input impedance with just a volume control. That would put me right about $300.

Other suggestions?

win

I don't know how easy they are to acquire used, but something like an older Yamaha receiver would surely fit the bill?
For example, Yamaha r-s500. I loved mine before I had enough reasons to upgrade.

OP
ta240

ta240

Major Contributor
Interesting suggestions to look into. thanks!

There are things I like about all of them so that is a good selection. Big fan of Yamaha, Teac and pro-ject. I almost got a refurbished Cambridge audio unit but I see a lot of complaints about problems with their amps.

OP
ta240

ta240

Major Contributor
The A-S301 is probably winning right now, although I do like the smaller form factor amps.

Anyone know why cambridge audio has signal to noise ratings in the low 80s when most others that I see are in the high 90s or low 100s?

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You could take a look at the Vista Audio Spark, simple an little class AB amp, link to the dealer in US, in case you are there.
Not sure if you will use it in a small or big room so maybe the 20W are not enough for you.

TimW

Major Contributor
If you're a fan of DSP this might be the ticket. They just released an optional update, the default DSP profile, and fixed a BT firmware bug. Still waiting for them to release an easy to use programming tool for it.

Top Bottom