• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Small amp alternative to AD18?

maskatuoklis

I've spent countless hours searching for an inexpensive amp, that would have SPDIF (PC as a sound source) and sub out, that would complement desktop 2.1 setup. To this day, SMSL AD18 seems to be the perfect option, yet a lot of users bash the amp being inadequate in terms of quality. And there's not that much of an alternative: I've found Klipsch Powergate, Denon PMA-30, Micromega MyAmp & Yamaha WXA-50, but they are more expensive and deliver only questionably better quality.

So in your oppinion, what would you suggest? I'm still searching for decent speakers for 2.1 setup and currently thinking about Wharfedale Diamond series + SW150 sub, yet the most difficult decision is the search for an inexpensive, low desktop footprint amp. Yes, I've read about Loxjie A30, but it seems there's no way to buy it.

HorizonsEdge

Small is hard. I tried a NAD 3020v2 but it ran too hot. Been trying to replace a Yamaha R-S202 which is HUGE. Today I got an Aiyima A07. Setup is
PC->Topping D30(DAC)->Aiyima A07->Dayton Sub-1200->KEF Q150. Page 8 of the sw150 manual shows you how to wire sub and speakers without a sub out. The Dayton has High Level Inputs and Outputs. The SW150 has just inputs.

Obligatory picture of before and after )
FcMLXQJ.jpg

OP
M

maskatuoklis

Small is hard. I tried a NAD 3020v2 but it ran too hot. Been trying to replace a Yamaha R-S202 which is HUGE. Today I got an Aiyima A07. Setup is
PC->Topping D30(DAC)->Aiyima A07->Dayton Sub-1200->KEF Q150. Page 8 of the sw150 manual shows you how to wire sub and speakers without a sub out. The Dayton has High Level Inputs and Outputs. The SW150 has just inputs.

Obligatory picture of before and after )

Thank you for your input! I'm stll looking for a way to choose one device (integrated dac / amp) for less table clutter, but your solution is quite interesting indeed!

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would suggest an active monitor setup for desktop use. Some of those come with digital inputs. I use a desktop dac that has a volume control knob and active monitors. Works well with minimal wiring fuss and footprint.

The SA300 suggested above seems like a good option but it has not been measured here on ASR and doesn't have optical input (which is rather odd).

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes no optics but a USB input compatible with PC.

OP
M

maskatuoklis

I would suggest an active monitor setup for desktop use. Some of those come with digital inputs. I use a desktop dac that has a volume control knob and active monitors. Works well with minimal wiring fuss and footprint.

The SA300 suggested above seems like a good option but it has not been measured here on ASR and doesn't have optical input (which is rather odd).

Thank you. I'm searching for decent monitors, but can't find a good price / performance combo. My monitor requirements - white-ish color, spdif, sub out. KEF LSX is pretty much my dream solution (having SPDIF, sub-out had very decent quality), but I can't find active monitors for <500$ having the same properties. The only close option I've found was Ruark MR1 mk II...

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Perfectly agree, I wouldn't use the USB input of SA300, but rather a DAC like the Topping E30 plugged into the SA300 or other amp.

Top Bottom