• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Small (7" in Speaker Height Max) Under $200/pair Desktop Speakers

wacomme

While I'd like some decent fidelity, my desktop speakers are mainly for computer stuff. I listen to HP for quality listening. I also have a very small desk, so under 7" speakers (6" is better) is really needed (no space for bigger speaker off my desk). I'm also wanting balanced inputs, not just RCA or 3.5mm.

Suggestions?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Haven't heard them, but JBL 305P Mark II seems to fit that desciption. Been told it has problems with hiss though.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Haven't heard them, but JBL 305P Mark II seems to fit that desciption. Been told it has problems with hiss though.
Yes. The hiss would drive me nuts. And they're a bit more money than I want to spend . . . unless there's nothing else.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you can EQ, Neumi BS5P.

If you cannot, I dunno that there is anything in this price range that I would even buy. Maybe the JBL305p if you can fInd on mega sale. But they are $300 normally.

The genuinely good options start at $400 with the Kali LP-6.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

If you can EQ, Neumi BS5P.

If you cannot, I dunno that there is anything in this price range that I would even buy. Maybe the JBL305p if you can fInd on mega sale. But they are $300 normally.

The genuinely good options start at $400 with the Kali LP-6.
The Neumi's are almost 11" in height. I can EQ.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I would hazard a guess that speakers with balanced input and with a total height of <7in do not exist. Let alone for <$200 a pair.

There's the Genelec 8010A with XLR in, but it's 7.7in tall and costs like $600 a pair. Great performance tho.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a pair of JBL 305p MKII's and sent them back due to the extreme hiss from the tweeters. I replaced them with a pair of Tannoy Reveal 402's which I was happy with (and still own) before upgrading to the iLoud MTMs I have on my desk now.

The 402's are in budget and have balanced inputs...

There's a picture of the 402's on my desk (and a later one with the MTMs) here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-desktop-audio-setup.12057/page-7#post-605125

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

staticV3

Master Contributor
There is whole post about these somewhere on ASR. Knockoff of Genelec
OP is not looking for monitors with 6-7" woofers, he is looking for monitors with a total height of less than 7". The B2031A is almost 16" tall.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP is not looking for monitors with 6-7" woofers, he is looking for monitors with a total height of less than 7". The B2031A is almost 16" tall.
My Bad Sorry:facepalm:

AlexanderM

For that size and price Edifier has some smaller computer speakers you might look at but the limitations are such that you won't have many options. You might search Amazon and see if they have any THX certified computer speakers on sale, just a thought. There are some there, may as well take a look.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Neumi's are almost 11" in height. I can EQ.
Oh I see you meant 7" high. You should edit your OP, everyone is going to assume you meant woofer size. Speaker height is not normally that important.

I don't know of any speaker in this budget that fits these requirements, let alone one that was reviewed and is any good. The Fostex you mentioned is closest and well it has no bass at all, personally I'd rather just use headphones.

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For really close nearfield / low SPL and small size I'd personally probably look at IK Multimedia iLoud Micro monitors first:

They are however somewhat over the stated budget and have only unbalanced input.

@napilopez did a very nice review with measurements for these.

audio2920

Seems like quite a tall (ahem, short) order to meet all those criteria simultaneously.

Is the 7" height restriction absolute? Can't quite picture it. That's very, very small. Mackie CR3 is close (8") and not utterly terrible. Might be about as good as things get? Unless you step all the way up to Gelenec.

If you give up the balance input there things like iLoud* or Klipsch Media Pro 2.1 ...?

*Edit: @dominikz beat me to it!

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the Audioengine A2 are 6" high. near-field (I have them lying flat but point somewhat upwards and toed-in under my monitor) i think they sound quite great. they are also active and save you the space and cost of an amp. i still have the ones without a built-in DAC.

if you want *really* small, even though discontinued i thought the Acoustic Energy Aego M 2:1 system is brilliant, too. i had them in my corporate office pre-Covid

PS: I just found the Aego's had a successor https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/blog/acoustic-energy-aego-3-2-1-speaker-system/

Last edited:
Top Bottom