• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Small (7" in Speaker Height Max) Under $200/pair Desktop Speakers

OP
wacomme

wacomme

View attachment 208991

In simple frequency response terms, the JBL is bit better behaved in the bass (doesn't have such bump) but on-axis, probably because of the concentric HF driver, is messier at HF. Both are a bit scooped, neither has anything useful below about 70Hz. I think in practice I would choose the JBL because I like the "point source" despite the trade-off in FR behaviour.
Could both be EQ'd with decent results?

audio2920

Fairly decent for a single listening position, yeah. There's not much to choose between them in that regard but the JBL might just edge the win..?

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Somebody already asked this, but there are a number of speakers that are 7"-8" wide that could be used on their side (KEF), and there are center channel speakers that might work depending on your width requirements.

dominikz

Forum Donor
You can compare measurements of most measured speakers using the amazing web resource by @pierre, here's an on-axis comparison of Mackie CR3-X vs JBL 104:

Here's a comparison of the JBL 104 vs IK Multimedia Micro Monitor:

You can e.g. use the "Graph" drop-down menu to view the full spin ("CEA2034") or "Version" drop-down menu to compare the same plot with score-optimized EQ applied.

You can find EQ presets here: https://pierreaubert.github.io/spinorama/eqs.html

Hope it helps!

EDIT: BTW YouTube videos are far from being a good way to compare loudspeakers, but I find this channel somewhat informative: DSAUDIO.review.
They provide level-matched stereo clips with identical loudspeaker positions, with supporting in-room frequency response measurements. I find it useful to get a ballpark idea of relative bass extension and very rough relative tonality differences (when listening on good headphones).
Of course since these are in-room recordings, room sound is overlaid on top of the loudspeaker and is different to actually listening to the same loudspeaker in-situ - so I advise extreme caution when interpreting these clips! :)

JBL One Series 104 vs iLoud Micro Monitor:

Mackie CR4-X vs JBL One Series 104:

Last edited:

Neddy

Hah.
I have a pair of Braun/ADS L200 mini speakers (predecessor to the much lower quality Radio Shack ones) that STILL WORK fine.
Solid cast aluminum frame, Passive, but at 6.3 x 10 x 6.7 inch they mostly meet your criterion. I'm using them as 'book inserts'/bookends on a paperback shelf!
No JBL 305 in terms of SQ, but remarkably listenable, really great for 'background' listening.
Might be able to find a pair on ebay, etc? "Vintage" even!! :)

audio2920

The Mackie's are a possibility. I have the small AudioEngine A2's, but they are unbalanced to my computer and I have on and off ground interference issues. Thus, it's best to use the A2's elsewhere in the house (thinking of connecting them to an old Samsung TV via optical out to a FiiO D3 Dac for better that TV set sound that can be controlled via the TV remote) and replace my desk speakers with something with balanced inputs.
Kinda overlooked this, but did you ever try one of those isolation transformers? The cheap in-line ones that are basically 1:1 with RCA in & out.

Or maybe if you've got balanced out from the computer, an "unbalancing" transformer so you can feed it the balanced XLR/TRS and get electrically isolated unbalanced rca/jack to send to the speakers? That'd be more expensive, but also probably better than the $10 unbalanced-unbalanced ones from Amazon.

raindance

Major Contributor
It doesn't seem to have an XLR connection [retraction: it does see below] - but honestly on a desktop system why do you expect that to make a difference? Just curious really, everybody is entitled to preferences.
With a suitable balanced source that doesn't already suffer ground loop issues, it may help alleviate ground loops. Lots of maybe's in there.

audio2920

With a suitable balanced source that doesn't already suffer ground loop issues, it may help alleviate ground loops. Lots of maybe's in there.
Exactly, as you say, if the interference is in the signal before the output device's balancing 'stage' then you're stuffed.

Roland68

Major Contributor
While I'd like some decent fidelity, my desktop speakers are mainly for computer stuff. I listen to HP for quality listening. I also have a very small desk, so under 7" speakers (6" is better) is really needed (no space for bigger speaker off my desk). I'm also wanting balanced inputs, not just RCA or 3.5mm.

Suggestions?
I had a similar problem as you with the speaker size on my desk.
I tried 2 pairs of monitors in the €200-400 range, but in the evenings and at night I could hear the slight hissing and humming of the power supplies and amplifiers.
On my desk is a pair of used Q Acoustics 3010 with an SMSL DA-8s amplifier incl. balanced input, class D Infineon MA12070 and precise NJW1194 volume control for a total of around € 260.00.
It would be expensive to top something like that sonically and it is absolutely silent.

As an alternative to such loudspeakers, you can buy cheap pairs of (defective) active monitors (studio/near field) with the active electronics only in one loudspeaker (these are only sold in pairs).
These active monitors have passive crossovers (the amplifier is only in one monitor), so you can build the electronics out of a monitor and get very good and well-tuned passive monitors/speakers for your desktop.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I had a similar problem as you with the speaker size on my desk.
I tried 2 pairs of monitors in the €200-400 range, but in the evenings and at night I could hear the slight hissing and humming of the power supplies and amplifiers.
On my desk is a pair of used Q Acoustics 3010 with an SMSL DA-8s amplifier incl. balanced input, class D Infineon MA12070 and precise NJW1194 volume control for a total of around € 260.00.
It would be expensive to top something like that sonically and it is absolutely silent.

As an alternative to such loudspeakers, you can buy cheap pairs of (defective) active monitors (studio/near field) with the active electronics only in one loudspeaker (these are only sold in pairs).
These active monitors have passive crossovers (the amplifier is only in one monitor), so you can build the electronics out of a monitor and get very good and well-tuned passive monitors/speakers for your desktop.
Thank you. That's an interesting solution; it's an interesting direction to explore. The equipment you suggest costs about $450, over twice the money I want to spend. But I get the idea.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Thank you. That's an interesting solution; it's an interesting direction to explore. The equipment you suggest costs about $450, over twice the money I want to spend. But I get the idea.
Unfortunately, it depends very much on the country/continent in which you buy.
You can get the Q Acoustics 3010 used in the EU as a pair for around €100, sometimes less. Alternatively, you could also take Heco Victa 200/201/202, which can be obtained cheaply both used and new. But there are comparable speakers from Dali, Wharfedale, etc.

Active monitors, e.g. the Mackie CR4-X, you can get (with a defective active part) from recycling and remainder dealers, e.g. on Ebay or used via classified ads, approx. € 50.00. Devectives Mackie CR4-X

There are few alternatives to the SMSL DA-8s if you prefer balanced inputs. If you can do without balanced inputs, remote control and a perfect volume control, then you could also use amplifiers like SMSL A12 or SABAJ A1, or without Bluetooth also AIYIMA A8 or AIYIMA A07, all under 100 €.
Addendum: SMSL A100 Amplifier Class D Infineon MA12070 Bluetooth 5.0 2x80W 4 Ohm

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting.

I should note I have never had a hissing issue with my desktop A2.

Workstation -USB-> JDS Labs Element 3 -RCA-> AudioEngine A2 (or Beyerdynamic DT1990pro)

No hiss, no drops - not with previous Audioengine D1 either.

So my reservation is that maybe you wouldn't be solving the hiss problem with new speakers?

Last edited:
OP
wacomme

wacomme

With a desk that's 47" x 28" carrying a 27" monitor, I have very limited desk space for speakers. While I would love to find some balanced speakers to eliminate electrical interference, all of the speakers we've been suggesting are just too big. I need something small, like the A2's with a 5" x 4" footprint, and 6" high. Therefore, I'm taking a different approach - keep the A2s and work on eliminating interference with RCA cabling. My second idea is to opt for passive speakers (still trying to find decent "small" passive speakers around $100 or less a pair + the SMSL DA-8a amp. I presume passive speakers with balanced cabling between amps won't create interference issues.

Really, if I'm going to replace the A2's I need speakers that are about the same size.

RobL

I have a pair of iloud micros (7” x 3.5”) and it’s actually astonishing how nice they sound for their size. Over your budget, yes but you can find them second-hand in your price.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I have a pair of iloud micros (7” x 3.5”) and it’s actually astonishing how nice they sound for their size. Over your budget, yes but you can find them second-hand in your price.
Thanks. I'll look for them used. However, there doesn't appear to be any balanced inputs. Bummer. The size is right.

Last edited:
OP
wacomme

wacomme

I'm really wanting to replace my Audioengine A2 powered speakers with some balanced speakers. While I currently don't have electronic ground noise, over the years I've been plagued with this problem. Here are my thoughts: buy Neumi BS5 passive speakers along with a balanced amp for passive speakers (thinking SMSL DA-8s - can buy for $130):

• I've read the passive Neumi speaker is much better than the powered speaker
  • I've also read that passive speakers don't hiss, unlike many powered speakers
  • I need a balanced amp, preferably with volume control. Is there a less expensive alternative than the DA-8s?
  • Are the passive Neumi speakers better than my A2s? I will likely sell the A2s: or repurpose them.
  • Thoughts/opinions on this setup?

Though more expensive, if I sell the A2s, I might be able to swing for the $250 Q Acoustics 3010 speakers. Would the sound be a significant improvement over the Nuemi's?

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor
I'm really wanting to replace my Audioengine A2 powered speakers with some balanced speakers. While I currently don't have electronic ground noise, over the years I've been plagued with this problem. Here are my thoughts: buy Neumi BS5 passive speakers along with a balanced amp for passive speakers (thinking SMSL DA-8s - can buy for $130):

• I've read the passive Neumi speaker is much better than the powered speaker
  • I've also read that passive speakers don't hiss, unlike many powered speakers
  • I need a balanced amp, preferably with volume control. Is there a less expensive alternative than the DA-8s?
  • Are the passive Neumi speakers better than my A2s? I will likely sell the A2s: or repurpose them.
  • Thoughts/opinions on this setup?

Though more expensive, if I sell the A2s, I might be able to swing for the $250 Q Acoustics 3010 speakers. Would the sound be a significant improvement over the Nuemi's?
I've gotten rid of the noise problem with active speakers by taking out the amplifier and actually making them passive. It's can be quite easy, just connect things as they are connected in the other speaker that is passive.

So I have a pair of Audio Engine A5. However, the Audio Pro Focus speakers I currently use are better, they sound cleaner.. (taller than 7" though)

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I've gotten rid of the noise problem with active speakers by taking out the amplifier and actually making them passive. It's can be quite easy, just connect things as they are connected in the other speaker that is passive.

So I have a pair of Audio Engine A5. However, the Audio Pro Focus speakers I currently use are better, they sound cleaner.. (taller than 7" though)
I'm realizing that 7" tall speakers are mostly too small, at least for good sounding speakers in my price range (under $300/pair - prefer under $200). Thus, I'm willing to accept bigger speakers: maybe up to 11' in height. But smaller the better. The Q Acoustics 3010's are small-ish.

Does anyone have other suggestions for good sounding small-ish passive speakers? The Emotiva Airmotiv b1+ speakers seem to be well rated, but they are quite large.

Most importantly, do the passive speakers I've been listing sound better than my A2s?

Top Bottom