• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Small (7" in Speaker Height Max) Under $200/pair Desktop Speakers

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The JBL 104 is really quite good, especially if you can EQ it. Amir didn’t love it but it’s designed to sit on a desk, where the FR is much better than on-axis. A little bit of hiss but much less than the 305p.

audio2920

I've got a pair of 104s that I quite like as a computer speaker, the dual concentric design seems to do the business in ultra-nearfield. But, they're way over 7" tall. More like 10" I think.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
wacomme

wacomme

Seems like quite a tall (ahem, short) order to meet all those criteria simultaneously.

Is the 7" height restriction absolute? Can't quite picture it. That's very, very small. Mackie CR3 is close (8") and not utterly terrible. Might be about as good as things get? Unless you step all the way up to Gelenec.

If you give up the balance input there things like iLoud* or Klipsch Media Pro 2.1 ...?

*Edit: @dominikz beat me to it!
The Mackie's are a possibility. I have the small AudioEngine A2's, but they are unbalanced to my computer and I have on and off ground interference issues. Thus, it's best to use the A2's elsewhere in the house (thinking of connecting them to an old Samsung TV via optical out to a FiiO D3 Dac for better that TV set sound that can be controlled via the TV remote) and replace my desk speakers with something with balanced inputs.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
wacomme

wacomme

OK. I might be able to handle some height (10" max), but the footprint needs to be small (width and depth as small as possible - limited desk space). So the 104's might work!

OP
wacomme

wacomme

So maybe tall and skinny would work, relatively speaking. A 5" x 5" footprint would be ideal.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

With a 6" x 5" footprint, the JBL 104's are the best option so far, despite their 10" height. Is it balanced?

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With a 6" x 5" footprint, the JBL 104's are the best option so far, despite their 10" height. Is it balanced?
It doesn't seem to have an XLR connection [retraction: it does see below] - but honestly on a desktop system why do you expect that to make a difference? Just curious really, everybody is entitled to preferences.

Last edited:

AlexanderM

It doesn't seem to have an XLR connection - but honestly on a desktop system why do you expect that to make a difference? Just curious really, everybody is entitled to preferences.
Does the bottom set of connectors say balanced on these?

wacomme, these ones are a better price, I'm assuming they are the same speaker.

Also, if you are looking for more suggestions the PreSonus 3.5 has balanced connection.

Last edited:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the bottom set of connectors say balanced on these?

Oh yeah you're right, TRS balanced connector. Retracting former comment.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
How about width? Can you turn the speakers on their sides?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

How are you going to use the balanced connection? It sounds like your A2's are connected directly to your PC via the RCA connection at the moment.

audio2920

Yes it is, but on TRS jack only, not XLR.

Just one word of warning about the 104; I like them, but it's more like a cheaper studio monitor than an expensive computer speaker. By that I mean, you hear plenty of detail, stereo imaging and so on, but the bass is less emphasised than something like a JBL "lifestyle" product or Logitech 2.1 system.

Someone pointed out they've changed the bass driver since the model Amir reviewed, so that may improve things a fraction. Or it could just be cost saving for JBL. Who knows!?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice, but they are over 17" in height.
10" according to Edifier spec (I'm guessing as often happens, Amazon have given packed dimensions)

Still too large though.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

How does the JBL 104 compare to the Mackie CR3? Both are viable options.

audio2920

Mackie CR3 vs JBL 104.jpg

Data courtesy of Amir & Erin.

In simple frequency response terms, the JBL is bit better behaved in the bass (doesn't have such bump) but on-axis, probably because of the concentric HF driver, is messier at HF. Both are a bit scooped, neither has anything useful below about 70Hz. I think in practice I would choose the JBL because I like the "point source" despite the trade-off in FR behaviour.

Top Bottom