• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Slow scrolling, typing, posting, ... ?

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I noticed occasionally, like this morning, that it is extremely slow navigating and typing to write a post.
Is it only me or are there other members experiencing similar too on occasions?

Now it's much better, but earlier just say 10-20 minutes ago it was very bad.

Just an observation that I'm sharing.

Enjoy the music rotating ...

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That happens to me sometimes, but it's probably just because I have too many tabs open.

More interestingly, occasionally the WYSIWYG editor looses its chronal lock, receives input from the future, and I find an entire sentence has been typed backwards.

Of maybe it's interference from the mirror universe.

?taht sesuac gub fo dnik tahw ,ylsuoireS

Last edited:

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The threads with tons of You Tube links always bog down the browser on my phone. Otherwise no issues here.
(I really wanted to type this in backwards too, just too lazy!)

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yesterday, I too noticed some hesitations (short freezes) scrolling, and some hesitations loading next or previous page. Can't say I noticed any difficulty typing posts.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have little to no issues with a laggy feeling web page or 50 or so youtube web pages open in tabs. Seems fine to me. 5GHz CPU and 16GB RAM DDR4 3200MHz

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Typing speed would be an issue with the local computer, not the server.

We are experiencing some of the highest server loads ever though due to much higher traffic these days. I like to restart the server at some point and if it persists, need to get another CPU core.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Typing speed would be an issue with the local computer, not the server.

We are experiencing some of the highest server loads ever though due to much higher traffic these days. I like to restart the server at some point and if it persists, need to get another CPU core.

Just out of curiosity, what are the specifications of the server this site runs on?

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Thank you for your feedbacks, that helps.

By the way, I wasn't referring to threads with many YouTube videos, but regular threads with not much pictures, some with zero pictures...only texts.

And like I said, only occasionally, and normally I refresh once or twice and after a minute or two everything is fine. This morning was simply very annoying (Sunday), and even after a restart and refresh. That's why I decided to ask if other members are experiencing similar too on occasions. And Amir's answer helps too. But I don't need another computer, mine is just fine.

I would have loved to write the above backward but I'm just too backward in that quest.
Perhaps in another life, on another planet, with a different species ...

Pizza time

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for your feedbacks, that helps.

By the way, I wasn't referring to threads with many YouTube videos, but regular threads with not much pictures, some with zero pictures...only texts.

And like I said, only occasionally, and normally I refresh once or twice and after a minute or two everything is fine. This morning was simply very annoying (Sunday), and even after a restart and refresh. That's why I decided to ask if other members are experiencing similar too on occasions. And Amir's answer helps too. But I don't need another computer, mine is just fine.

I would have loved to write the above backward but I'm just too backward in that quest.
Perhaps in another life, on another planet, with a different species ...

Pizza time
Do you have important stuff backed up? Just saying because a symptom of a hard drive failing is slowdowns and choppy operation.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just out of curiosity, what are the specifications of the server this site runs on?
It is a virtual instance of dual CPU cores, 2 Gigbytes of Ram and SSD for storage. Believe it or not the most CPU hog is the search engine! It is written in Java and is a pig. But gives us much better search than the default crappy sql one.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes, forgot how expensive AWS/Azure can be for a free forum :)
I do use AWS for email and it is so expensive. But it is very much trusted so works well.

OP
North_Sky

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Do you have important stuff backed up? Just saying because a symptom of a hard drive failing is slowdowns and choppy operation.

Yes, I'm all backed up. But I don't think it's a drive failure because it only happened here in that specific moment in time. Other times (rarely) I don't bother mentioning as I do a maintenance and a refresh. This time I just mentioned it, just in case I wasn't the only one.
I also experienced it on other "business entertainment" sites (audio/video) occasionally the same. Some websites, news outfits are less well equipped with their master operators. Here it is very good, just the rare occasion like I just mentioned.
I'm not a perfectionist just instinctive.

* By the way Amir, the dark mode ... excellent!

Last edited:
Top Bottom