• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Slight upgrade from M-Audio AV40?

Anthom

Greetings all, first post here. Just discovered the forum when going down the rabbit hole of studio monitor research. This place is an amazing resource!

I'm a "bedroom producer" working on music in my spare time. Have been using a pair of M-Audio AV40 powered speakers for years now, but the onboard amp is starting to go on them - the left channel is significantly quieter than the right.

Never one to back down from an upgrade opportunity, I've been looking at replacing them. I'd be working with a budget of under $350, seems like there are a few non-awful options in this price range. Size is a bit of a factor, though. I don't have a dedicated studio space. I'd be concerned about something the size of a Kali or JBL overtaking the desk since the desk and computer are multipurpose. This room is also on the top floor of a building with eaves, making placement potentially challenging

So, short story long, I guess my question is: can I reasonably expect a more balanced, even sound than the AV40s in this size/price range? Or would my money be better spent seeing if the AV40s can be repaired, then saving up for something better?

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Monoprice has a good price for a pair of studio monitors.
For $350 budget, I would check out the JBL LSR305 studio monitors.

Top Bottom