• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Slap echo

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
This is a good demonstration. Maybe not so good as far as what is used and where it is placed.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
OP
C

ChrisH

Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far.

This weekend I had two days off. This gave me a chance to do some clapping and some real serious listening to see how much this echo REALLY interferes with my overall listening enjoyment. First I my Daughter came down and did some clapping at the speaker position while I sat at the listening spot. This was a good idea, Amir. The echo, while still there in it's high pitched zippyness, was not too bad compared to standing out in the room.

While listening over the weekend, it was nice to get a few extra hours in, the only time it really is noticeable is during the release of large orchestral chords, i.e. ending of Mahler 8, or when listening to certain tenor or baritone voices in opera. With the opera, I am not so certain it's a room issue, it could be a recording issue as it presents itself only on specific recordings. Some further investigation with that.

I was also able to fool around with some absorption. 3 years ago, give or take, I built 60+ panels using OC705. My bar was an acoustic mess and this fixed the problems. Luckily, I had 6 left over. Moving these around and listening was pretty enlightening. I placed them at reflection points, in front of my TV, behind my head etc.. While this helped with the echo, minimally, I'm not sure absorption is the route I want to take.

On to diffusion!

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Loads of guys suffer with slap echo and over loading of their rooms too. ( maybe something your getting on the big orchestral stuff) .

With that in mind if you feel inclined take a few photos and post them to help document your journey in the fight against the slap , It's bound to be helpful to folks:)

I'm a massive believer in well made wooden diffusers, not only do they encourage a coherent and pleasing sound field if you have plasterboard walls ( drywall) they 'seem' to add mass to the wall and improve the in room sound.

All the above based solely on my subjective findings in my listening room so could well be complete bollocks:confused::D

Nightlord

DIY is something I like, so I can build, or have something built.

I will have my Daughter come down and do some clapping for me later this evening.

20120511.jpg

Make, or buy, an original to how you want the diffuser to be... then you just need free newspapers/general mailbox junk/..., wallpaper glue, water and plenty of time. Some saran wrap could help it get loose from the original as well. And some appropriate paintjob.

OP
C

ChrisH

20120511.jpg

Make, or buy, an original to how you want the diffuser to be... then you just need free newspapers/general mailbox junk/..., wallpaper glue, water and plenty of time. Some saran wrap could help it get loose from the original as well. And some appropriate paintjob.

This looks pretty sweet. Thanks Mr. Nightlord. Also something my Daughter would have a blast doing, even better. Basically papier mache. Thanks.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Our fearless leader can be a bit detached from what us normal folk consider cheap. ;)
You called it. :) My reference is wood RPG style diffusers which are quite a bit more money.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Its interesting that before putting them up I was a bit wary of the aesthetics, but now they are up everyone thinks its cool :)

It is a dedicated theatre/listening room though.

Top Bottom