• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Skullcandy Grind Wireless Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 55 52.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 37 35.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters

solderdude

Grand Contributor
6dB more signal below 600Hz is very audible though.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, there is no 'Harman' bass. But as you said... not everyone prefers such a bass bass boost.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Yes, there is no 'Harman' bass. But as you said... not everyone prefers such a bass bass boost.
600 Hz down is about where The effect of Fletcher Munson kicks in so all that makes it hard to compare. Again, it was not a controlled test, in fact far far from it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The difference between the headphones remains at the same SPL.

PeteL

Major Contributor
The difference between the headphones remains at the same SPL.
Yes of course, but as I said, just a memory based quick listen Solderdude, where I heard a generally close sonic signature. I did not control SPL...

kk1173

I can do that but then you can't see the full list at one time. Most monitors have more horizontal resolution than vertical.
While that's true, I think most people are only looking through the list for products they either own or know about, and comparing it with the item being reviewed to spot the difference. For most, being able to see the entire chart at once is not so important, but rather being able to easily read the chart. One or two scrolls of the mouse wheel is much easier than turning your head to the side to read the text IMO.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
this is absurdly good for a sub-$100 wireless headphone from a "lifestyle" or "aesthetic" brand

I would say 'decent' at best... but discontinued now.
Has been replaced by the $ 50.- Riff Wireless 2
Lifestyle with elevated bass and treble.
Sure... it will sound better with EQ.

modes

I think the Tyll gave a nod to these back in the day. Also, the wired edition used to sell for sub 20€ - not terrible for the price.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While that's true, I think most people are only looking through the list for products they either own or know about, and comparing it with the item being reviewed to spot the difference. For most, being able to see the entire chart at once is not so important, but rather being able to easily read the chart. One or two scrolls of the mouse wheel is much easier than turning your head to the side to read the text IMO.
I disagree.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ah, maybe I had them turned on when measuring impedance....

FYI, I just did a quick test with the headphones. I turned them on in wireless mode and connected with BT. Then I plugged in the wire. Result: the headphones immediately turned off.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I'm not sure if I like this design at all.... these "on ear" style designs tend to not be very comfortable for longer listening sessions. Even if this is more affordable there are better options in the same price tier that are comfortable!

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure if I like this design at all.... these "on ear" style designs tend to not be very comfortable for longer listening sessions. Even if this is more affordable there are better options in the same price tier that are comfortable!
The on ear design I have is eminently comfortable (for me, it fits right)./ Sometimes I don't here my wife (even though mine are open back) because I have fallen asleep at the desk, listening to my head phones. Comfort is King (and I generally despise head phones, ear buds, etc, I believe in the Klipsch moto "Loud & Proud" & prefer speakers).

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
this is absurdly good for a sub-$100 wireless headphone from a "lifestyle" or "aesthetic" brand
It seems people have a pretty poor opinion of Skullcandy but that seems to be based mostly on the dumb name. Their budget headphones are, in my experience, generally totally decent.

My go-to cheap IEMs for running/gym/travel use are Skullcandy's $12 model. They sound totally decent without any super obvious frequency response errors except the expected lack of sub bass. I've debated sending Amir a pair out of curiosity - my guess would be very decent midrange and upper bass response with a bit of dropping in the higher frequencies, no sub bass, and mediocre distortion. But again, for $12 disposable use, totally respectable.

@Amrin (and others)

Forgive the necropost - I'm wondering what more well known headphones you might consider to have a similar profile to these?

I'm a big fan of the Grinds, but because they aren't talked about much, I don't really have a reference point for where they fit when reading reviews of other headphones.

Top Bottom