• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sivga Phoenix Review (headphone)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
With so many reviews, it takes most of your time up I guess?
It does. It is especially challenging right now since I have so many other things I need to do.

Palfim

Well thank you alot for all the hard work, it's greatly appreciated, and one of the very few reviews sites with objective science backing it.
Saved me at least from buying those on looks alone. With all the ads and great looks it's one of the most sold headphones on Amazon, while stuff like akgs collect dust.

schmu

Interesting.. I subjectively just like the Phoenix, but I'm using the alternative pleather pads by sivga..
..would be interesting to hear a more professional opinion about the sound with the (more comfy) pleathers.

Good review, will try to make out those frequency deviations and see how I feel about them.
(quite possible that I'm sensitive to the 4k regions and actually prefer them lowered)
My only reference atm are FH3 & DT990 pro tho :rolleyes:

schmu

You shouldn't base your EQ on measurements with the stock pads if you're using alternative pads. Pad swapping can alter the sound dramatically.

yeah yeah.. lol i'm aware.. couldn't find a huge difference switching between pads tho..
so I'm pretty confident that some faults still exist to some degree..

sivga.png

Brianc

@amirm On some headphones it literally takes me a minute or two to find the darn designation.

Amir also needs new glasses to read his own measurements. Please donate.
Is Sennheiser the only company that includes the Braille markings for L (the three vertical dots) on their headphones? ALL headphones should, as it's useful for the blind and sighted.

Brianc

To his credit, some merely have the L/R stamped or embossed with a small letter in the frame material, so it blends in (e.g., little to no contrast) making it difficult to find. Sometimes not too hard to read once you actually find it, but as there's no standard each set/manufacturer has it labeled in a different location and/or manner.
Sennheiser uses the three vertical dots for the Braille letter L. I'm fully sighted and it works better for me than most other headphone L/R indicators.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Is Sennheiser the only company that includes the Braille markings for L (the three vertical dots) on their headphones? ALL headphones should, as it's useful for the blind and sighted.
AKG uses a more rustic way. Cable is connected on the left. But it works also for people who are not able to read Braille.

JohnnyN

That works. I'm not able to read Braille but I know the letter L thanks to Sennheiser.

Can someone please explain the two low shelves to me? What does the 2db shelf at 45hz do that the 2db shelf at 90hz isn’t already accomplishing? I’ve just recently started to EQ my headphones and so I’m trying to gain a greater understanding.

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can someone please explain the two low shelves to me?
I'm guessing Amir looked at the measurements, added the 90 Hz shelf, listened to the headphones, decided they needed a little more sub-bass, and then added the 45 Hz shelf.
What does the 2db shelf at 45hz do that the 2db shelf at 90hz isn’t already accomplishing?
They overlap and create a unique shape that can't be replicated with a single filter. You can get very close with something like a peak filter with +4 dB gain at 20 Hz and a Q-factor of 0.4:
5ajw35.gif

karthik7000

It’s not a high amount for a closed back. While maintaining a broad stage and outstanding treble, some open backs have more bass amount and a warmer feel than this. Even while it performs a lot of things well, the price isn’t that amazing. Look for a decent deal around 14500 INR and you may get it for the primary purpose of background music while you work in complete comfort.

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-17 at 5.23.09 PM.jpeg

I also thought that the amount of movement would be so little as to not be a problem...but apparently not..

View attachment 126835

Edit: 4/28 Appears I have caused confusion by Not mentioning that this is a different brand headphone exhibiting a crack - not the Sivga Phoenix...Sorry....Apologize

Top Bottom