• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Singxer UIP-1 USB Isolator Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm you have acknowledged that your bench PSU is noisy, so with a properly silent PSU those artifacts should go away surely.

Perhaps you should invest in a decent PSU for testing devices such as this.
Decent PSU? Noisy? The Agilent power supply is from a company that is tops in instrumentation. It is not a toy power supply. I have a bunch of other lab power supplies including an audiophile one (this one won't go above 5 volts so can't use it here). I use the Agilent because it is a known and trusted brand (top two electronics instrumentation brand in the world). The bit of mains leakage I see is from testing such tweak boxes in the past. This could be ground currents just as well as anything else. I put it out there out of abundance of full disclosure, not to have you assume it is some junk power supply. :(

Remember, this is not "noise." Every piece of audio could be at a different ground potential naturally causing currents to travel over their signal grounds (unless all balanced I/O is used). This power supply is much cleaner than other stuff you may be using.

CopperFox

Hmm. Does the USB isolator improve the dongle headphone amp "noise vs distortion" performance by about 8db as well? If yes, that would put its performance (nearly) on par with the DX3 Pro.

Would be interesting to see such investigation in future dongle reviews as well ;)

Edit: I think this is a highly relevant question as a combination of a dongle and good portable usb purifier/isolator might give both great portable performance at low(ish) cost and a wide selection of different dacs/dac chips with varying features as well. A combination of dongle and purifier/isolator may also have an advantage over low-end daps in that there's no need to include a soc/cpu that unavoidably generates noise from running an OS. More modularity means more options when and if it works.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hmm. Does the USB isolator improve the dongle headphone amp "noise vs distortion" performance by about 8db as well? If yes, that would put its performance (nearly) on par with the DX3 Pro.
Hard to say how much that performance was affected. Why not get a dongle without that issue?

CopperFox

Hard to say how much that performance was affected. Why not get a dongle without that issue?

There's a limited number of dongles that have excellent measured noise/distortion performance and these dongles may not have all the features that users might want.

For example MQA support is currently available in the Audirect Atom, Audirect Beam 2 and Zorloo Ztella dongles. It is possible that none of them would have great performance by themselves and that a usb purifier could improve it.

Dongles will also have dac chips from different manufacturers with different specifications and other different features (noise filters for example) and they have at least slight differences in overall sound, which users may want to try out.

Having everything you want in one device would of course be ideal :)

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have been waiting and hope you can test Berkeley Alpha USB. Thank you very much i really.

Top Bottom