• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Singxer SA-1 Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

godmax

Well, for me the SA-1 just did not work as expected and it will be sent back to Shenzhenaudio (unless someone in the UK wants to take it off my hands).
Although I trust Amir's measurements, I just can't understand why it drives even my Q701 with little to no headroom left. In all honesty I did not expect this even from my Arya but that is what I experience. My Violectric V200 which this might have replaced has A LOT of spare headroom left. For example, see photo, I listen the Arya with volume set at 12.30 o'clock while on the SA-1 am at 5. I just do not get it: how can it have 3.6W into 50 ohm?
On the subjective side, which I realise isn't that suited to this forum, the SA-1 does sound good. Fed balanced by an SU-1 the sound of the Violectric is a bit crisper than the smoother SA-1 and the soundstage is narrower than the SA-1. To my ears of course.
How many hours you did use the SA-1 in total? The volume will improve after some hours of use, had the same effect with the SA-1 myself (never had this with any other amplifier before...)

Fly2High

In addition to break-in, I hope you realize that the Pot is not linear, it is very exponential. You will need to turn it up quite a bit before it starts to really get loud. Then again, it appears to me that you are nearly at the end of the Pot's travel.

Are you sure there isn't headroom? What about the sound tells you it has no headroom? Is it measurements? Not doubting you, only trying to learn for myself.

thanks

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In addition to break-in, I hope you realize that the Pot is not linear, it is very exponential. You will need to turn it up quite a bit before it starts to really get loud.
I noted this in the review as well. You can't go by the physical location of the volume control relative to others.

aravaioli

In addition to break-in, I hope you realize that the Pot is not linear, it is very exponential. You will need to turn it up quite a bit before it starts to really get loud. Then again, it appears to me that you are nearly at the end of the Pot's travel.

Are you sure there isn't headroom? What about the sound tells you it has no headroom? Is it measurements? Not doubting you, only trying to learn for myself.

thanks

Yes, I had read on Headfi where a helpful post explained how an exponential volume pot works. Nevertheless I can tell you that I could listen to the Arya at max volume on the SA-1 with little discomfort while I can't go past 2pm on the V200 even for a couple of seconds.
Someone posted that it can drive also the Susvara and I just can't believe that it's true, at least based on the unit in my possession.

My experience is:
1. Arya - volume 90-95% (5 o'clock)
2. AdX5000 - 80-85% (4 o'clock)
3. CLEAR - 75% (3.30)
4. Q701 - 90-95% (same as Arya !!)
5. ELEGIA - 60% (2 o'clock)
6. DT990 600 ohm - 95-100% (yes, I hit the max volume and it was listenable)
7. DT1990 - 75-80%

In short the V200 offers more "reassuring" performance when it comes to drive very demanding headphones. I do not own an A90 but I suspect that whoever is after power as first priority might be served better by that. Perhaps also by the A30.

With that said, the SA-1 is much cheaper than a brand new V200 and if you are after a smoother sound is a purchase that makes sense. It is indeed closer to a tube sound without the distortion. If I were to keep it, I would use it with both my Focal.

Last edited:

aravaioli

How many hours you did use the SA-1 in total? The volume will improve after some hours of use, had the same effect with the SA-1 myself (never had this with any other amplifier before...)

I'd say no more, perhaps less than 15 hrs (I wish I had more time for this hobby...).

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning

What??!??!?!?? We have a headphone amp needs break in to reach max power?

Eldgrim

Yes, I had read on Headfi where a helpful post explained how an exponential volume pot works. Nevertheless I can tell you that I could listen to the Arya at max volume on the SA-1 with little discomfort while I can't go past 2pm on the V200 even for a couple of seconds.
Someone posted that it can drive also the Susvara and I just can't believe that it's true, at least based on the unit in my possession.

My experience is:
3. CLEAR - 75% (3.30)
7. DT1990 - 75-80%

In short the V200 offers more "reassuring" performance when it comes to drive very demanding headphones. I do not own an A90 but I suspect that whoever is after power as first priority might be served better by that. Perhaps also by the A30.

With that said, the SA-1 is much cheaper than a brand new V200 and if you are after a smoother sound is a purchase that makes sense. It is indeed closer to a tube sound without the distortion. If I were to keep it, I would use it with both my Focal.

That seems very odd indeed. Perhaps your SA-1 is faulty in some way. Maybe for some reason it does not get enough voltage from your DAC? Is your experience the same when paired with your M200 instead of the SU-9?

aravaioli

That seems very odd indeed. Perhaps your SA-1 is faulty in some way. Maybe for some reason it does not get enough voltage from your DAC? Is your experience the same when paired with your M200 instead of the SU-9?
Yes, actually with the M200 the volume is slightly lower.

aldarrin

My experience is:
3. CLEAR - 75% (3.30)
7. DT1990 - 75-80%

Is this on low or high gain (IIRC they put the gain adjustments on the bottom of the unit for some stupid reason)? Those look like low gain volume levels (don't own this amp, but do own a A90 and half of those cans).

aravaioli

Is this on low or high gain (IIRC they put the gain adjustments on the bottom of the unit for some stupid reason)? Those look like low gain volume levels (don't own this amp, but do own a A90 and half of those cans).
I already replied to that.

raif71

Major Contributor
My experience with SA-1 low gain (using sennheiser hd600, hd6xx and hd800):

1) xlr input (Gustard X16 - 4.1V)
- volume at 2 oclock using pop/rock music
2) rca input (Audio-GD R2R11 - 5V)
- volume at 10 oclock using pop/rock music

I must say that I'm enjoying more using rca with the r2r11 (variable dac mode) as the voltage coming into the SA-1 does indeed help in achieving more volume headroom for the amp even at low gain and really helps when I'm playing low volume classical music. I wonder if using Topping d70s xlr connection will provide more enjoyment volume headroom wise as the max xlr out is at 5V max if not mistaken

Highvolt60

My experience is:
3. CLEAR - 75% (3.30)
7. DT1990 - 75-80%

Perhaps your combination of input/output is lowering the overall gain Vs another Amp ?
See below for SA-1 headphone amplifier gains:
1. Single-ended input, single-ended output: low gain is 0db, high gain is 11db;
2. Single-ended input, balanced output: low gain is 6db, high gain is 17db;
3. Balanced input, single-ended output: low gain is -6db, high gain is 5db;
4. Balanced input, balanced output: low gain is 0db, high gain is 11db;

tom.chen

Audio Company
Well, for me the SA-1 just did not work as expected and it will be sent back to Shenzhenaudio (unless someone in the UK wants to take it off my hands).
Although I trust Amir's measurements, I just can't understand why it drives even my Q701 with little to no headroom left. In all honesty I did not expect this even from my Arya but that is what I experience. My Violectric V200 which this might have replaced has A LOT of spare headroom left. For example, see photo, I listen the Arya with volume set at 12.30 o'clock while on the SA-1 am at 5. I just do not get it: how can it have 3.6W into 50 ohm?

By default, SA-1 is in low gain mode. If you need to drive headphones, it is recommended to use high gain mode. You may need to read the instructions. When we use the high gain mode on the decoder SDA6-PRO (4.6V RMS output) to balance the input and output, we can even push AKG K1000 headphones.

domiji

I've got the SA-1 and the SDA-6 Pro and together they drive my Aryas incredible well and with lots of "authority". Perfect combo :)

Veri

Master Contributor
When we use the high gain mode on the decoder SDA6-PRO (4.6V RMS output) to balance the input and output, we can even push AKG K1000 headphones.
Question tom.chen, is there any maximum input voltage level for low gain / high gain? Up to 5V is no problem, for example?

raif71

Major Contributor

Veri

Master Contributor

aravaioli

Perhaps your combination of input/output is lowering the overall gain Vs another Amp ?
See below for SA-1 headphone amplifier gains:
1. Single-ended input, single-ended output: low gain is 0db, high gain is 11db;
2. Single-ended input, balanced output: low gain is 6db, high gain is 17db;
3. Balanced input, single-ended output: low gain is -6db, high gain is 5db;
4. Balanced input, balanced output: low gain is 0db, high gain is 11db;

My situation is the one in point #3. If the quoted 5dB gain is correct that might explain something. I can try the combination of point #2 which appears to provide the most gain and report back.

Top Bottom