• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Singxer SA-1 Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

naish

I can buy this Sa-1 second hand. I like to used it as pre-amp for my Purifi amp.
now I am using the Loxjie D50 as a dac/pre amp, but t is too loud and the volume steps are too little.
Can the gain be adjuste in the pre amp mode?

Oukkidoukki

May I ask…….does this sound better from balanced out? I mean is there any point to buy this if you only have normal (not balanced) headphones? So maybe geshelli archel 2,5 pro or topping l50 gives same se out performance for much cheaper?………….I would like to use balanced from dac (for the peace of mind) but use normal headphones. What I hear balanced out is somehow wider and deeper in sa 1.

Kitarist

Heard people saying theres a bypass mod that bypasses those protection caps and makes the amp sound "better" Anyone knows how true is that? :)

Pjotter

Hi, would anyone suggest to go for a balanced connection between Topping E50 DAC and SingXer SA-1 ? Is the difference audible ? Thanx !
(My headphone: balanced Sundara)

Roland68

Major Contributor
Hi, would anyone suggest to go for a balanced connection between Topping E50 DAC and SingXer SA-1 ? Is the difference audible ? Thanx !
(My headphone: balanced Sundara)
Always (less sensitive to external influences and disturbances) and in this case also better, since the SA-1 is constructed symmetrically from input to output (also volume control).

captainspork

Can someone summarize what effect on power output using balanced vs. SE input/output has?

I received this amp yesterday and am currently using RCA in and SE headphones, and while it has enough power for my HD 6XX, I don't think it would drive my DT-880 600ohms very well, even with the gain switches on hi.

I'm about to purchase a Topping D10 Balanced DAC and XLR cables. Will I get improved power output using only balanced input, or do I need to use a balanced connection to my headphones as well? Thanks!

deafenears

Forum Donor
Can someone summarize what effect on power output using balanced vs. SE input/output has?
See https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...lanced-headphone-amp.23365/page-6#post-781775

I'm about to purchase a Topping D10 Balanced DAC and XLR cables. Will I get improved power output using only balanced input, or do I need to use a balanced connection to my headphones as well? Thanks!
From that post by one of the SA-1 designers:

1. Based on the SA-1 is an amp with a fully balanced design concept, it has made the greatest optimization for total balance. Therefore, the recommended way to use it is: balanced input and balanced output, followed by single-ended input and balanced output.

Also:

2. If you need to use single-ended, it is recommended to use single-ended input; it is not recommended to use balanced input, single-ended output.

captainspork

See https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...lanced-headphone-amp.23365/page-6#post-781775

From that post by one of the SA-1 designers:

1. Based on the SA-1 is an amp with a fully balanced design concept, it has made the greatest optimization for total balance. Therefore, the recommended way to use it is: balanced input and balanced output, followed by single-ended input and balanced output.

Also:

2. If you need to use single-ended, it is recommended to use single-ended input; it is not recommended to use balanced input, single-ended output.
Thanks for this info. So it looks like I should be prioritizing balancing the output first. That should be easy for the pre-amp side of things, since the JBL subwoofer I'm using has XLR inputs.

Regarding headphones, can I use some kind of XLR to SE adapter if I don't care about XLR's shielding capabilities, or do I need to convert my headphones to balanced? Sorry if this question is a little off-topic.

deafenears

Forum Donor
Regarding headphones, can I use some kind of XLR to SE adapter if I don't care about XLR's shielding capabilities, or do I need to convert my headphones to balanced? Sorry if this question is a little off-topic.
You'll want to get cables with balanced XLR or 4.4mm connectors (or your existing set reterminated), IMO. Headphones should already be balanced since its dual entry.

Celty

Make it simple - get XLR or 4.4 cables for your headphones. I had done this before I got the Singxer, because my Monoprice 887 is another amp best used with balanced. I would suggest Hart or Periapt - my experience with both has been positive. Hart cables can be cool because of the versatility. I can use my multi-kit to plug in to anything.

Multi-Kit.jpg

captainspork

Cool, thanks for the info. Looks like I should just be able to buy a new cable for the HD6XX, but the Beyers I'd have to mod.

Veri

Master Contributor
You can't convert XLR to SE with an adapter or something like that and use an unbalanced cable btw (even if some of these things exist and don't actually work..), it doesn't have the required pin-out to actually take in the balanced output. You need a new cable, and some headphones need to be rewired too.

Cool, thanks for the info. Looks like I should just be able to buy a new cable for the HD6XX, but the Beyers I'd have to mod.
Yup :)

captainspork

So as far as I understand it, you shouldn't use adapters to convert balanced to SE, but you can go the other way if needed.

I ask because I have a very long TRS cable I use so I can wear headphones across the room at my digital piano. So if I get a balanced cable for my 6XX, under normal use I'd do SA-1 balanced out -> 6XX, but if I'm playing piano I can do SA-1 SE out -> TRS to balanced adapter -> 6XX (still using balanced cable)? To put it another way, I'd rather not constantly switch the 6XX cable at the headphone end, as those connectors don't seem to be really designed for constantly disconnecting/reconnecting, so I'd rather just switch to the SE output of my amp when playing piano (this saves me having to buy a really long XLR cable.

Last edited:

captainspork

Final question (I hope): are the 4.4 BAL and XLR BAL outputs on the SA-1 identical in performance? Is it just down to a form-factor preference?

Veri

Master Contributor
Final question (I hope): are the 4.4 BAL and XLR BAL outputs on the SA-1 identical in performance? Is it just down to a form-factor preference?
Yup just different connector but they are an equivalent.

So as far as I understand it, you shouldn't use adapters to convert balanced to SE, but you can go the other way if needed.

I ask because I have a very long TRS cable I use so I can wear headphones across the room at my digital piano. So if I get a balanced cable for my 6XX, under normal use I'd do SA-1 balanced out -> 6XX, but if I'm playing piano I can do SA-1 SE out -> TRS to balanced adapter -> 6XX (still using balanced cable)? To put it another way, I'd rather not constantly switch the 6XX cable at the headphone end, as those connectors don't seem to be really designed for constantly disconnecting/reconnecting, so I'd rather just switch to the SE output of my amp when playing piano (this saves me having to buy a really long XLR cable.
Also yep, you can totally use an adapter to plug into a piano or single ended amp etc, that is fine since you just use 'half' the cable so to speak.

pouni

Hi together, I am looking for a new amp to pair with my Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire. Would the Singxer SA-1 work well with these? I am a little bit unsure because I read that it has distortion when it has to put out high power levels to low impedance headphones. If I understand things right this is exactly what it would have to do with the Dan Clark Audion Aeon 2 Noire or am I misunderstanding something?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Hi together, I am looking for a new amp to pair with my Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire. Would the Singxer SA-1 work well with these? I am a little bit unsure because I read that it has distortion when it has to put out high power levels to low impedance headphones. If I understand things right this is exactly what it would have to do with the Dan Clark Audion Aeon 2 Noire or am I misunderstanding something?
I have the SA1 with the Aeon 2 Noire. Don't worry about distortion.

I'm using mine in high gain, balanced. No issues

pouni

I have the SA1 with the Aeon 2 Noire. Don't worry about distortion.

I'm using mine in high gain, balanced. No issues
Great! Would you say that it is a great pairing or would you prefer any other amp for the Noire? Maybe the A90?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Great! Would you say that it is a great pairing or would you prefer any other amp for the Noire? Maybe the A90?

Nope. I would buy the Singxer SA1 again.

I'm looking at the Burson Soloist 3x performance for another headphone setup in another room. But I have nothing to complain about the SA1.

IMG_20220129_153248.jpg

Top Bottom