• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Singxer SA-1 and SMSL SP400 owners - is there an appreciable difference in sound?

Azonic

Hey ASR crew,

I've just picked myself up a pair of Hifiman Anandas and i'm looking to pair them with a fully balanced headphone amp. I've done a fair bit of reading on headphone amps and for me it's a toss up between the SMSL SP400 and the Singxer SA-1. For those of you out there who have been lucky enough to hear or own both, I have questions... :p

I'm currently using the SMSL DP5 media streamer (ES9038PRO chip) for my headphones and active speakers, but I want to use the Anandas with a balanced XLR and get a bit more power out of them. The SP400 will stack on it very well as they look incredibly similar and share the same width. From reading peoples experiences with both, the Singxer seems to just nudge ahead in sound, have you found that to be the case? Which one have you found more enjoyable overall?

I'm looking to bring down the top of the treble on the Anandas a bit, and maybe up the bass slightly, will either of these amps help more than the other with that? (obviously I can also EQ).

Have you noticed any difference in sound between them when you hook them up to active speakers?

I know I'm going to be more than happy with either purchase but as there's only going to be $5 difference in price between them during the 11.11 sales I'm looking to see if one edges out over the other, or whether it's just a toss up.

Cheers

Last edited:

neg

In general, these devices, as I remember them, sound very similar. I listened to the Singxer SA-1 from a friend of mine and didn't really like it then, although objectively it sounded good. Maybe it was just that the mood was not very good or something else. Anyway, today I listened to the sp400 in the showroom of the store, I liked it. I can say that the sound is powerful, neutral and balanced. In addition, it is powerful enough to handle a load that requires a lot of current. Again, a practical listening test showed that the sound is lively and powerful. From memory, it seemed to me that the sp400 has a more aggressive sound, and the singxer is more calm. But unfortunately I can not consider comparisons from memory correct. In any case, I am satisfied with today's purchase of smsl sp400, I listened to it all day. Do not look that it has a impulse-based power supply and that it is just some kind of small box. Maybe in the old days it was bad, but now it's not.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I have both units.
In a blind test I doubt I could tell a difference.

Both units are amazing headphone amps for that price.

I tried both Amps with the same DACs.
Sounds good. Couldn't tell a difference..
I feel like they have about the same power output.. even though the SP400 is supposed to be more powerful by a couple watts.

I have the SP400 in high gain and use -7 db headroom in roon + equilizer I can't go past "70" on the volume wheel.

The Singxer SA1 feels way more valuable. (Weight, builtquality )
The SP400 looks more Modern. Doesn't feel cheap either.

Plenty of great headphone amps out there in this price range. We are really lucky these days.

Last edited:
Top Bottom