• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Single Ended DAC - Balanced VS Unbalanced on THX AAA 789

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am new to High End audio and have the Dragonfly Red (single Ended) DAC and have the Massdrop THX 789 Amp that has both balanced and single ended inputs and outputs.. My question is since the DAC is single ended, would connecting the DAC to the Dual XLR inputs of the Amp using a 3.5mm to dual Xlr cable (converter) make a difference n sound as compared to a 3.5 to dual Rca input?

Also on the Headphone output side, I have the HiFiMan Sundara headphones which currently runs on Single ended cable, would buying and connecting a 4 pin XLR cable for the headphones benefit me over the stock single ended cable... Specifically in terms of sound quality (width, clarity, staging, depth etc.). I AM NOT looking for simply more power as the Sundaras are not that hard to drive.

Just to put things in perspective, the cheapest and slightly reliable 3.5 mm to XLR cable is costing US$ 38 and the 4 Pin XLR headphone cable is costing US$ 52....need your help to find if this investment of around a hundred bucks is really worth it? Thanks guys!

PS. I have no humming or interference problems in my setup... Just place the huge magnet power transformer away from the electronics and you should also be fine in case if you're having this problem.

OP
Shoaibexpert

Shoaibexpert

Thanks @amirm ...really admire your work!

It's just that some users have said that going from SE to Bal on the Headphone side makes a difference in sound quality like increase in sound stage, clarity etc. and therefore they recommend to buy the balanced cable on the Headphone side. I know you've already answered the question but could you plz elaborate more and let me know if technically there is a difference I'm gonna miss by sticking to SE both at input and output side of the THX AAA 789?

Also if you can recommend a reasonably priced balanced cable supplier... Would really be great! Thanks mate

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It's just that some users have said that going from SE to Bal on the Headphone side makes a difference in sound quality like increase in sound stage, clarity etc. and therefore they recommend to buy the balanced cable on the Headphone side.
Many headphone amplifiers have more power when used in their balanced mode. As a result balanced sounds louder and people usually associate that with better fidelity (because you hear more details that way; bass is stronger, etc.). The THX has a lot of power in single-ended so you are going to get superb performance that way and there is no need to mess with balanced. The fidelity will be the same. You can see that in my review measurements:

index.php

As you see the graphs are essentially identical except that the balanced mode keeps going to produce more power.

OP
Shoaibexpert

Shoaibexpert

Thanks @amirm .Wow that really nailed the argument!! Thanks for that.

The last question, is there a measurement for sound stage or imaging (excuse me for asking a novice question) that shows its deliverance between SE and Bal? That'd be a great help!

All in all after seeing your post, I'm inclined save my 100 bucks and stick to Rca inputs and SE output for my Sundaras!

Thanks mate.

artnoi

Thanks @amirm .Wow that really nailed the argument!! Thanks for that.

The last question, is there a measurement for sound stage or imaging (excuse me for asking a novice question) that shows its deliverance between SE and Bal? That'd be a great help!

All in all after seeing your post, I'm inclined save my 100 bucks and stick to Rca inputs and SE output for my Sundaras!

Thanks mate.
Easy crosstalk measurement, channel balance and frequency response should already represent how transparent the ‘stereo soundstage’ should be.

OP
Shoaibexpert

Shoaibexpert

Thanks @artnoi any idea where these measurements are sbd how to interpret them...im not a sound engineer you see... Just an enthusiast. Thanks

artnoi

Thanks @artnoi any idea where these measurements are sbd how to interpret them...im not a sound engineer you see... Just an enthusiast. Thanks
Me neither. I don't know much, but based on my shallow knowledge about how stereo sound works, I think if the kit is able to produce flat response then the 'recorded room/stage effect' wouldn't change, and thus the sound stage is kept intact for the speakers/headphones to reproduce. At the same time, if there is little to no leak between channel outputs (crosstalk) then the sound stage should also be preserved intact, i.e. less blurry or whatever term used to describe it. Next is that if you want any imaging to be precise then you gotta have your 2 channels to be very close (identical in performance) to each other.

IMO any competent audio device should nail these measurements so well I wouldn't be worried. What I found more interesting is this article about measuring headphones' soundstage.

Last edited:

BasicBear

I was looking into getting some sort of 3.5mm Female to XLR-4 Male adapter because of interest in the DT 880 660 ohms and the 789 having more balanced power than single ended.

I found it odd that very few options existed, until I found an article from Moon-Audio that basically says it'll damage the amplifier. I'll let the article speak for itself. (https://www.moon-audio.com/balanced-adapters-caution)

On a side note, Innerfidelity's DT 880 600 ohm measurements say it takes 0.43mW for 90db SPL, which basically means the THX 789 isn't powerful enough to reach 90db with balanced output!!

Mrcrunch08

t takes 0.43mW for 90db SPL, which basically means the THX 789 isn't powerful enough to reach 90db with balanced output!!

I didn't see the review since the link doesn't bring me to it but if it is worded like you state then you are mixing your numbers up. The 789 specs say 400mW at 600ohms and you said it takes 0.43mW to make 90db. One is greater than the other and it isn't the one you think. Notice the zero and decimal point in the 90db spl measurement. Now look at the 400mW output power of the thx 789.

Top Bottom