• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Since getting into the higher end equipment and headphones, I swore to myself that I’d never, ever use EQ again. Well, that has changed...

KillerQ

Since getting into the higher end equipment and headphones, I swore to myself that I’d never, ever use EQ again. Well, I just came across an EQ setting that is kinda rocking my world!!

3C7DA0D3-00F0-437D-9F5F-AA1FF35F7C6E.jpeg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't that somewhat a form of eq? Like the song says, It's Like You Never Left :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I see a lot of boxes, where's the variety that counts?

ps Nice dac.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it puzzling that so many audiophiles eschew using EQ. On the production side it’s exactly the opposite - you’ll usually find an EQ plugin on every track plus the master bus.

I don't. Look how many other silly ways many address seeking some differences. Cables/lifters, resonance devices, cables, different dacs, you name it. It's fertile ground for nonsense. Let alone how much it has gone thru before being placed on the media you can buy.....then there's differences in levels you listen at, your room, etc.....or just plain preference.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I don't. Look how many other silly ways many address seeking some differences. Cables/lifters, resonance devices, cables, different dacs, you name it. It's fertile ground for nonsense. Let alone how much it has gone thru before being placed on the media you can buy.....then there's differences in levels you listen at, your room, etc.....or just plain preference.
I suppose EQ takes the fun out of it for those who are into the hobby for the buying and selling of gear and gadgets. I guess I’d rather put together a solid system and get on with listening to music.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I find it puzzling that so many audiophiles eschew using EQ. On the production side it’s exactly the opposite - you’ll usually find an EQ plugin on every track plus the master bus.

A lot of audiophile lore was set in stone in the 60s and 70s (perhaps even the 50s!). EQ supposedly added in too much distortion to be worthwhile. Add in memories of graphic equalizers in declassé rack systems and the later fetishization of short, minimal signal paths that removed even simple bass and treble controls and even balance controls.

Also, digital EQ is still not very accessible. Amir shows how easy it is with Roon, but Roon is expensive and proprietary. I use Brutefir, but that requires some tool to create the FIR filters, and I had to to write bash scripts to automate set up the needed Brutefir config files. Not easy for the average person.

OP
KillerQ

KillerQ

So, I definitely have an advantage by having my RME with powerful EQ controls then. for some reason I still want to trade it for a Denafrips Ares II. Lol.

A lot of audiophile lore was set in stone in the 60s and 70s (perhaps even the 50s!). EQ supposedly added in too much distortion to be worthwhile. Add in memories of graphic equalizers in declassé rack systems and the later fetishization of short, minimal signal paths that removed even simple bass and treble controls and even balance controls.

Also, digital EQ is still not very accessible. Amir shows how easy it is with Roon, but Roon is expensive and proprietary. I use Brutefir, but that requires some tool to create the FIR filters, and I had to to write bash scripts to automate set up the needed Brutefir config files. Not easy for the average person.

OP
KillerQ

KillerQ

Let the dac myths go.....
I’m trying. I’m trying. But, I must admit - I sometimes wish I had a DAC with no options that just turned on and worked. No fuss, no muss. It’s appealing having the type of DAC where there’s nothing I can do to alter anything with it and I just use it as designed.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Right on the money of audiophile history, I been down that whole path. From giant receivers with every control possible, to fully passive pre-amps, and back to a HT Pre/Pro.
Livin' on reds, vitamin C, and cocaine,
What a long, strange trip it's been.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nowadays it’s very accessible when you use a PC as your source many popular music player softwares have eq built in like foobar2000 or Jriver.

Or you can wholesale EQ all audio on your PC with Eqaliser APO .

As Amir and others have demonstrated we are clearly above all sensitive to frequency response variations all other factors seems to play secondary roles in how we hear.

All good DAC’s is just flat for example.

I’m also into the learning curve on how to use EQ in a good way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom