• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SINAD vs Power…Would you rather?

What would you purchase?

• Gimme that sweet, sweet clarity of the AHB2, thank you!

• Moar power! I’ll take the NAD thanks!

Results are only viewable after voting.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Some Canada Day fun for everyone, because who doesn’t love a good ole’ ASR poll? :facepalm:

Would you rather have a (lower power but incredible clarity) Benchmark AHB2 or a (lower clarity, higher power) NAD C298? Assume that you can only afford to buy one of either, so that running them in mono or bridging is not an option here. Let’s also leave other Hypex/Purifi-based alternatives off the table for now.

Benchmark AHB2: Cost = $3000. SINAD = 113. Power = 190 wpc (4 ohms). Amir’s review of the AHB2 is here.

NAD C298: Cost = $2000, SINAD = 98. Power = 510 wpc. The Stereophile review of the C298 by our own @Kal Rubinson is here.

Pick your poison. I know what I would choose, but I am curious as to what others think is more important.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Likely would make little or no difference except for your expecatations :) Not that I'd want anything from NAD (not always dependable). :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If 190 wpc is enough I'd go with the Benchmark. The power difference is only about 4 db. The SINAD difference is much greater. Of course it is likely with reasonable impedance loads from the speaker both will sound the same to you.

OTOH, if you need that 4 db, then you only have one choice.

Now for my opinion of reliability, the reputation each brand has, and resale value, plus how it looks and is assembled, I'd not even consider the NAD.

OP
GDK

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That depends on how much you need. Power requirement is like the black or white requirement. It's met or it isn't met.
I don’t disagree, but this Harbeth video seems to show that, depending on the music you listen to, your power requirements can be very different.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I don’t disagree, but this Harbeth video seems to show that, depending on the music you listen to, the power requirements can be very different.

If you use digital source the peak power is defined. Analogue sources on the other hand isn't.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I am curious as to what others think is more important.
Depends on the circumstances I guess... I'll break rank here and say I'd go the NAD in this case.

It's more powerful and $1000 cheaper... just the grand difference would sway me there. I doubt there will be any difference between 113 and 98 sinad and 98 is more than respectable.

JSmith

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends on the circumstances I guess... I'll break rank here and say I'd go the NAD in this case.

It's more powerful and $1000 cheaper... just the grand difference would sway me there. I doubt there will be any difference between 113 and 98 sinad and 98 is more than respectable.

JSmith
Good point. I'd still rather not go with Nad, tho....as it's still to expensive for what it is

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I'd take my 3 watt 2A3 SET and sell whichever of those amps was 'given' to me on eBay.

jae

Major Contributor
What about a DIY/custom made Purifi over the NAD? Even cheaper at $1200-1600 and in many cases better SINAD than the NAD implementation.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What about a DIY/custom made Purifi over the NAD? Even cheaper at $1200-1600 and in many cases better SINAD than the NAD implementation.
Yeah, but we could start playing that game to infinity.

I think of some of the legendary big amps like a Krell KSA 250 or some Levinsons or Spectrals or Classe. They have the power of the NAD (or more), and some excellent specs all the way around.......except, all those had rated THD at something like -60 to -65 db. So their SINAD scores would be in the low 60 db range.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are other amps that would attract me more than these choices, tho
Yeah true, it is... OP should get some other Purifi or NCore based amp and save some more moolah.

JSmith

Perhaps something like a Crown XLS Drive Core amp too...

jae

Major Contributor
There's a lot more than a simple "one vs the other" if you consider everything holistically. As John Yang said either you need/want the power or you don't. One nice value add of going Benchmark is that there is the no-risk free trial, but this is moot for Canadians as you will be taxed regardless at the border if you choose to return it. Similarly Benchmark also has good warranty and support, but with warranty claims, shipping heavy boxes to the US from Canada is also not cheap if there were to be a problem so you have to factor that in if you want to factor something like warranty in the decision.

It's also not a matter of paying $3000 USD for Benchmark vs. $2000 USD for the NAD. After import taxes to Ontario the Benchmark ends up costing $4250 CAD which is $3420 USD (this is not counting any potential additional handling/customs brokerage fees by a courier if Benchmark uses one). There are a few domestic sources that have the benchmark for sale but the price is identical if not more expensive, so unless the domestic vendor provides their own impeccable domestic warranty there is no advantage to buying domestic in this case. And while it is easier to get the NAD domestically it is $3164 CAD after tax (more costly than the US price after conversion) which ends up costing $2550 USD. It might be cheaper/lower cost to get NAD warranty fulfilled from various retailers or NAD directly but then you have to factor in that NAD themselves are known for having lacklustre support. It may also take many weeks or months to get your equipment returned to you from either of these companies.

If you really want a more relevant answer you need to consider what pair(s) of speakers are being driven now and in the future, listening levels, along with the price/your financial situation and how much you care about things like aesthetics, warranty etc. Remember that these specs are only at a specific output level. If max fidelity is your primary concern above all else, the Benchmark may be the objective winner at a typical 100~200 watts, but Purifi-based not only has more power but it is similar and even better in the upper portion of Benchmark's rated stereo output range and beyond, so it still plays very well as high as 250-350 W. It is a more versatile "tool" in that respect, albeit perhaps may not have the same longevity or reliability as a Benchmark product (conjecture). In the case of that amount of power, it may make more sense to compare NAD/Purifi to other amplifiers but anything Purifi based will probably be superior to other products at comparable power outputs and at almost every price point.

If money if no concern you have the option of buying multiple AHB2, but I assume it is a concern if you are considering a single AHB2 stereo vs NAD/Purifi. I think for 95-99% of people a Purifi amp is probably going to be the better choice not only for your money but for the output versatility. But this opinion is strictly assuming it's a DIY/custom Purifi amp that would cost significantly less than the NAD. At $3000 vs $2000 it's debatable, but in my opinion at the Canadian prices of $3500 vs $2500 the value of the NAD product is not retained, especially when you can put together the same/better performing amp for half that price and 30 minutes of your time (with no technical knowledge required).

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
If you want SOTA SINAD, forget the Benchmark AHB-2 and get a real amplifier. And if you want real power too, not a measly 100wpc @8R.

A pair of Halcro Eclipse monos. Nothing in the world comes remotely close. Oh, and it happens to be Australian!

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
If you want SOTA SINAD, forget the Benchmark AHB-2 and get a real amplifier. And if you want real power too, not a measly 100wpc @8R.

A pair of Halcro Eclipse monos. Nothing in the world comes remotely close. Oh, and it happens to be Australian!
Didn't check, is 70k for a pair?

Top Bottom