• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Simplest Way to get Tidal to Genelec 8361

Moey

I just moved to Europe and am looking to build a new home listening system. Currently it's looking like a pair of Genelec 8361 monitors fit my needs.

So what would be the most direct way to pipe Tidal to the Genelec's AES/EBU ports?

The simplest thing I've found mentioned so far is a MiniDSP SHD Studio. But this will mean having a redundant DSP on it (since Genelecs do DSP as well). So I'll likely just be switching that off (I hope to use GSM 100%). Is there a simpler way of getting Tidal to the monitors?

Thanks,
Moey

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR!

If your output is coax digital, you can use this:
or (will likely need a BNC to coax adapter)
or simply use an RCA to XLR adapter cable (coax center pin to XLR pin 2; coax shield to XLR pin 3 and optionally to XLR pin 1). This method is not supposed to be technically correct but probably work most of the time.

If your output is optical digital, you can use this:

OP
M

Moey

Thanks NTK, those look very useful!

One thing I do like about the MiniDSP SHD Studio is that it's also a Tidal device, so that's one less box to mess with. If possible I'd really like to keep it down to a source and the monitors.

Are there any Android/Chrome devices that have AES out, that could also stream Tidal?

Thanks again,
Moey

staticV3

Master Contributor
OP
M

Moey

Thanks staticV3, that's getting really close to what I'm looking for! Bummer the interconnect isn't AES or S/PDIF, then the converter wouldn't need to be powered.

I suppose the other way to minimize boxes involved would be to combine the streamer with a video player (which I'll probably have in the same room anyway). I know that really changes my original question, but if there's a known good audio/video streamer with AES outs, I'd love to hear about that as an option as well.

Feels like this must be a path other people using Genelec's as Hi-Fi's must have been down, so thanks for any direction with this!

-Moey

jae

Major Contributor
The WiiM Mini and WiiM Pro have Tidal Connect and Toslink out.
You can convert Toslink to AES without a loss in quality, using a box like this: https://www.studiospares.com/studiospares-red-507-toslink-spdif-aesebu-converter-465760.htm
So not quite a one box solution, but 1: it exists, and 2: it's a lot less expensive than the SHD Studio :D
Thanks staticV3, that's getting really close to what I'm looking for! Bummer the interconnect isn't AES or S/PDIF, then the converter wouldn't need to be powered.

I suppose the other way to minimize boxes involved would be to combine the streamer with a video player (which I'll probably have in the same room anyway). I know that really changes my original question, but if there's a known good audio/video streamer with AES outs, I'd love to hear about that as an option as well.

Feels like this must be a path other people using Genelec's as Hi-Fi's must have been down, so thanks for any direction with this!

-Moey
Wiim Pro has coax out, perhaps you could just connect to it directly using an appropriate cable?

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Wiim Pro has coax out, perhaps you could just connect to it directly using an appropriate cable?
Actually, yes. You don't even need a special impedance adapter. A regular RCA to AES cable will work just fine in the majority of cases.

subframe

Genelec does specify 110Ohm AES connection in the manual, but it might be worth contacting their support and asking if impedance is critical.

jae

Major Contributor
@jae - definitely one option I'm considering

Also, just found this: https://www.oppostore.nl/en/vanitypro.html

Seems like a VanityPro + Roku device (with Tidal App) might work as long as I have a TV screen to navigate with.
Seems like an option as well, the Wiim solution is just the most simple with one device and the most economical at $150. I think people like it because of the integration and option to control from any device like a phone; other similar streaming options have a much higher cost of entry. With this method the "workflow" of listening to music would simply be whipping out your phone (or other device) and selecting what you want to listen to on the UI and you're listening to music instantly. Perhaps there's a little more "friction" to get music playing if you need to rely on a tv/additional remote, but maybe the Roku app has good remote control functions, I'm not sure. Since Wiim is sold fulfilled by Amazon there's little risk to trying it, it could always be returned within the ~30 days.

Genelec does specify 110Ohm AES connection in the manual, but it might be worth contacting their support and asking if impedance is critical.

MCH

Major Contributor
If it was me, in a feeling like diy day, i would take a Wiim mini, tap the spdif signal to the toslink socket, that if it is one of these is pretty accessible and has a ground pad just besides:

Screenshot_2023-03-23-09-03-23-50_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

And would apply the learnings provided by ASR:

If it doesn't work, i would not tell anyone, of course... :D

OP
M

Moey

@jae - I'm liking the Wiim Pro solution more and more, thank you.

Can you control volume via the Wiim app ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@jae - I'm liking the Wiim Pro solution more and more, thank you.

Can you control volume via the Wiim app ?
Yup.

And if you've got an alexa enabled device you can use that to control playback on the Wiim too.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok sold! Thanks everyone for the help!
Just a word of caution though. I'm assuming you will be using considerable attenuation on the Wiim (if you get) before it goes to the speakers? If so, Im not sure how comfortable I would be with mechanisms to stop either fat fingers or software glitches sending the output to max. Definitely check the slider on the app before pressing play.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Just a word of caution though. I'm assuming you will be using considerable attenuation on the Wiim (if you get) before it goes to the speakers? If so, Im not sure how comfortable I would be with mechanisms to stop either fat fingers or software glitches sending the output to max. Definitely check the slider on the app before pressing play.
Don't the Genelecs have their own DSP including volume control?
In that case, OP could reduce the volume on the 8361 until 100% out of the WiiM is loud, but not uncomfortably so.
That way, fat fingers wouldn't be fatal.

napfkuchen

@staticV3 Yes, that's the plan. Don't want to "accidentally go deaf!"

I'll probably invest in the Genelec volume knob so the max vol can be adjusted easily.
I had the volume knob myself and sold it again. When using the Wiim Pro there are different ways to control volume:
- WiiM app / remote
- tidal connect / spotify connect: phone/tablet
- computer via optical input: windows volume control

If you store the GLM room correction settings in the speakers, set the max level restriction in GLM to a loud but still safe volume and deactivate SAM System Power (automatic wake up / shut down ...) there is no need for GLM and you don't even need your computer for music listening. For me that's a huge plus because I like to have the lights dimmed (especially in the evening) and the computer monitors off because it distracts me.

Last edited:

Piatnik

Forum Donor
I just moved to Europe and am looking to build a new home listening system. Currently it's looking like a pair of Genelec 8361 monitors fit my needs.

So what would be the most direct way to pipe Tidal to the Genelec's AES/EBU ports?

The simplest thing I've found mentioned so far is a MiniDSP SHD Studio. But this will mean having a redundant DSP on it (since Genelecs do DSP as well). So I'll likely just be switching that off (I hope to use GSM 100%). Is there a simpler way of getting Tidal to the monitors?

Thanks,
Moey
I have 8361 with W371. I use the Audiophonic AES hat on a RPi 4

to convert the audio stream to AES. I use Ropieee as my Roon end point, but you could use another software such as Volumio to connect to your Tidal account.

This solution is lossless and minimalistic.

Top Bottom