• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Simplest solution to desktop sub bass management?

mattzildjian

Desktop amplifiers are incredibly convenient and often boast a lot of features in a small box, however one feature that seems to never appear is the ability to crossover the main speakers with the sub out.

My current setup is:

PC USB --> Loxjie A30 --> Wharfedale Diamond 220 (playing full range) --> Split subout into 2x SVS SB1000 Pro's (80hz x-over)

I am using SoundID Reference to correct the response for my room.

While I am mostly happy with the sound, I have felt that it could be improved with high passing the main speakers, however I am not sure what would be the simplest and also most cost effective way to accomplish this.

Suggestions welcome!

Last edited:

RandomEar

I'm in the same position, but didn't have the motivation to do something about it, yet :rolleyes:

A miniDSP 2x4 between PC and A30 would probably work fine. Use one set of outputs to tdrve the A30, the other to drive both subs. I would assume that you'll loose some SINAD headroom on the DAC side and you need to configure it using the miniDSP software.

An easier and cheaper solution could be to just get a second, cheap USB (or Toslink, if your PC offers that) DAC to drive your sub. Then, use Equalizer APO to configure a high pass on your main audio output to the A30 and a low pass on the secondary output to your subs. I don't know SoundID, but if that offers similar options, EAPO might not even be required. This solution would only work with the PC as a source, but even "flawless" DACs like the SMSL SU-1 are less than 100 $, so that would be much less than the 200+ $ for a miniDSP device.

henologist

If you have another way to get audio out of your PC (onboard 3.5mm jack, optical audio, another DAC/audio interface, etc.), you can use Voicemeeter to send synchronous audio to multiple devices (your Loxjie for mains, another device for subs) and Equalizer APO to run separate EQs on each for your crossover. @sweetchaos made a very helpful guide for it. I was doing this with an SMSL C200 to mains and a spare Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to subs and had no issues after setting delays by ear in Equalizer APO.

That said, I wouldn't buy a separate DAC with the intention of running it in parallel through Voicemeeter, as there is the possibility of clock sync issues, as well as having to set manual delays based on the devices' individual latencies. I eventually found a MiniDSP 2x4 (not the HD model) on ebay for $100 (plus the cost of the MiniDSP software) and now that's between my C200 and my speakers/subs. Your Loxjie A30 has analog inputs, so you can also avoid an A/D-D/A conversion by using a MiniDSP as your DAC and the Loxjie as your speaker amp.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The Sabaj A30a has a proper Xover function with high-passed mains and a low-passed sub out.
http://www.sabaj.com.cn/en/productshow.asp?id=95

Xover frequency can be set between 70 and 160Hz:
20220930114315121512.jpg

It's almost 3x the price of your A30 though...

Last edited:
OP
mattzildjian

mattzildjian

jasoncd

My main listening these days is at my desk at home with a 2.2 setup. A requirement for me was something physical on my desk with volume control, I didn't want to do software volume control through my PC although going that route I assume would be cheaper.

I'm using a Motu ultralite MK5 to output to a power amp that sits on a rack off to the side, and to two subwoofers. Using Audiolense for DSP and crossover. Focusrite Clarett+ 4pre would have worked as well (I think). A miniDSP should also work, and you could either pay for Dirac or not and just use the built in PEQ and crossover functions. The Motu and the Focusrite you'd need to do crossovers in software AFAIK.

You could also do something like a Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 or NAD M10 v2 and have DSP, amp, pre and streaming all in one box. That's a lot more money though and kinda of limiting for my tastes. I tried the NAD and wasn't a huge fan. I liked the Lyngdorf and have it in my living room for a simple 2.1 setup.

Top Bottom