• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Simple way to get LCR digital signal?

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there a simple way to get the digital left, center, and right speaker signals from, for example, Apple TV?

Use case is our family room where we watch movies, TV, and sometimes listen to music (via Spotify or YouTube). I have had a 2.1 system for years, but we are in a new house and I would like to add a center channel for better dialog clarity. To avoid moving the TV too high, it needs to be a short center channel, but obviously the center channel is important. We don't want surround sound. We don't need a sub if we get decent front speakers (current KEF Q300 have almost enough "boom" -- this is not a true home theater).

I currently have an Anthem MRX 520 and could do preamp out with ARC room correction. The current speaker option is the Devialet Phantoms which would work fine with analog inputs (but correct me if I am wrong).

But another option would be to use a miniDSP approach, perhaps with DIRAC. I have not looked into this mostly because I first need the 3 front channel digital signal from somewhere. (I could take the analog into miniDSP from the Anthem via an A-D conversion, but that seems too duplicative.)

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
A miniDSP 2x4HD could provide lefr, right, and a combination of both channels for center.

You'd have PEQ and FIR filters.

Add dirac and I don't know what you'd have.

Check = On, X = off

Channel 3 as center. Not a "true" center, but with an EQ emphasizing vocal frequencies, maybe good enough.

1593480516624.png

Channel 4, by combining channels and using the crossover on all the channels, could be the sub:

1593482905326.png

https://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/Product Brief-2x4 HD1 plugin.pdf

Last edited:
OP
HooStat

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looks like computer output via USB (from JRiver, for example) to separate digital outputs is solved here: #26

Top Bottom