• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Simple streamer/DAC recommendations?

klettermann

I'm looking for something for my son. His setup is utterly schizophrenic. He's now sending Spotify from his 8 year old Android earphone output to a simple Onkyo receiver setup. He says that sounds tolerable for ambient music but that's it. For better sounds, he's also using a Stax SR Sigma Pro headphone powered by a small Stax amp that had an optional battery pack (can't recall model). I'm not sure what could be more exotic. The headphone setup sounds absolutely awesome when fed by something better - I know, I had them for years and gave it to him. Extremely detailed and revealing so GIGO. It's kind of like headphones for Magneplaner fans.

Anyway, I'd like to get him set up with something better for streaming. Need not he extreme high end, just a listenable improvement over what he's got. He's happy to upgrade from Spotify to Qobuz or whatever. Using the phone as a controller is preferable but not to use it as a source of anything (e.g., not streaming by Bluetooth to some kind of receiver). From a functionality point of view a Node 2i would be fine but even that is overkill and he doesn't need the whole BluOS stuff. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks and cheers,

Top Bottom